'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
DEF

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-09-11 6:18 PM
12 replies, 6958 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kooner
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2014-08-17 7:36 AM (#160426)
Subject: DEF

Extreme Veteran

I am thinking about buying a new Dodge and has anyone had a bad experience with the new def fluid that is used? also is there any difference on what brands are better than others.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2014-08-17 7:39 PM (#160436 - in reply to #160426)

Expert

Because diesel trucks that run out of DEF are no longer emissions-compliant, they are virtually immobilized when the DEF tank runs dry, even if there’s diesel fuel available to keep them trucking. Ford, GM and Chrysler have similar strategies to alert drivers when their DEF tanks have 1,000 miles or less range left, so modern diesel drivers won’t get stranded on the side of the road....SO, important tip...don't let the DEF tank run dry...unless you like driving at 4 mph...
Tim & Time
Reg. Aug 2011
Posted 2014-08-17 9:03 PM (#160437 - in reply to #160426)

Paul when I was talking to my local Dodge dealer sales buddy his explanation was if you run out of DEF the truck does not slow down or shut off it keeps running normal so if you are trucking down the highway at 80 miles an hour you continue to do so, to much liability to do otherwise, he did go on to say don't shut the truck off, it won't restart if out of DEF. I have not driven one or run out of DEF to know for sure just passing on what the friend who sells Dodge told me.  Tim
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2014-08-18 1:00 AM (#160440 - in reply to #160426)

Expert

What happens to my truck if I run out of DEF?
The worst thing that can happen to an SCR system is being filled with contaminated or incorrect fluid. This can potentially cause thousands of dollars in damage to the emissions system and leave you stranded. What can also leave you with a thumb out by the side of the road is running the DEF tank dry. The EPA requires vehicle manufacturers have measures in place to ensure equipped vehicles cannot run without exhaust fluid. Vehicle manufacturers all handle this in slightly different ways. Some employ the use of a gauge, while some have a simple warning light. Generally speaking, however, when the DEF tank level drops below 10 percent, a warning of some kind will be displayed on the dash, indicating it’s time to fill up. The warnings will get progressively more frequent, brighter, or louder as the level continues to decrease. If the vehicle is allowed to run out of fluid, one of two things will happen: either engine power will be cut and speed limited to essentially a “limp-mode,” or the vehicle will not start until the fluid is replenished. Currently, the only exception to this is the ’13-and-newer Ram HD trucks, which will continue to run and not de-rate power if the DEF tank should happen to run dry. This is allowed because the Cummins 6.7L engine tuning produces a low enough amount of NOx on its own, without the aid of SCR. However, drivers will still be treated to a dash full of warning lights and more frequent DPF regeneration cycles, so it’s best to not let the DEF run dry.

Read more: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/1402_understanding_diesel_exhaust_fluid_basic_training/#ixzz3Aiju9hiO

Consult your owner/operators manual, don't count on the truck salesman to give you correct info on anything......  They will tell you about anything to sell a vehicle.

Tim & Time
Reg. Aug 2011
Posted 2014-08-18 4:25 PM (#160452 - in reply to #160426)

Retento I copied this from your post "Currently, the only exception to this is the ’13-and-newer Ram HD trucks, which will continue to run and not de-rate power if the DEF tank should happen to run dry." Is this not what I said in my post ? Kooner was asking specifically about Dodge I did not speak of Chevy or Ford, and to imply the salesman (who is also a friend) was telling me only what I wanted to hear is frankly insulting when you posted essentially what I posted only with a link and a sarcastic reference that all sales people are not trust worthy and are out to only say whatever it takes for a sale. Tim
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2014-08-20 4:54 PM (#160484 - in reply to #160452)
Subject: Cummins does it differently

Expert

Originally written by Tim & Time on 2014-08-18 4:25 PM

Retento I copied this from your post "Currently, the only exception to this is the ’13-and-newer Ram HD trucks, which will continue to run and not de-rate power if the DEF tank should happen to run dry." Is this not what I said in my post ? Kooner was asking specifically about Dodge I did not speak of Chevy or Ford, and to imply the salesman (who is also a friend) was telling me only what I wanted to hear is frankly insulting when you posted essentially what I posted only with a link and a sarcastic reference that all sales people are not trust worthy and are out to only say whatever it takes for a sale. Tim
Well, that's nice piece of info to know about the Cummins current configuration...
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2014-08-24 12:18 AM (#160521 - in reply to #160426)

Expert

I've got over a 130,000 miles running DEF in my 2011 Ford. No problems.My truck needs the DEF refilled about 5,000 miles. and it gives me a 800 miles to empty warning, Plenty of time to fill up.DEF is available at most truck stops and most auto supply type of stores. Walmart and my local CAL Ranch store. It's not hard to find. I've used several brands, and I suspect as long as you are using a sealed jug or direct from the pump, The product should work just fine for you. I'd be careful with open containers that might have gotten contaminated.
4quartercirclesperfh
Reg. Jul 2014
Posted 2014-09-08 9:08 PM (#160691 - in reply to #160426)
Subject: Def

Regular

2014 Dodge here and all I can say is do it. I have zero complaints about the def and have gone well over 3k miles on one tank, Dodge is the only one of the big three like chevy gmc and ford that will not limit your speed as long as you don't shut it off. They don't run on the def just need it when the emissions gets junky, they don't even need it to start because this stuff will freeze in the winter it is sucked backed in the the heated tank after shut off.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2014-09-09 9:46 PM (#160712 - in reply to #160691)

Expert

Originally written by 4quartercirclesperfh on 2014-09-08 9:08 PM

2014 Dodge here and all I can say is do it. I have zero complaints about the def and have gone well over 3k miles on one tank, Dodge is the only one of the big three like chevy gmc and ford that will not limit your speed as long as you don't shut it off. They don't run on the def just need it when the emissions gets junky, they don't even need it to start because this stuff will freeze in the winter it is sucked backed in the the heated tank after shut off.
GM Duramax reprogrammed so if the temperature is low enough the DEF tank level is NOT checked due to the possibility of the fluid being frozen...
RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2014-09-11 1:45 PM (#160724 - in reply to #160691)
Subject: Def

Veteran

Originally written by 4quartercirclesperfh on 2014-09-08 9:08 PM2014 Dodge here and all I can say is do it. I have zero complaints about the def and have gone well over 3k miles on one tank, Dodge is the only one of the big three like chevy gmc and ford that will not limit your speed as long as you don't shut it off. They don't run on the def just need it when the emissions gets junky, they don't even need it to start because this stuff will freeze in the winter it is sucked backed in the the heated tank after shut off.
Not exactly true in regards to Chevy. If the DEF tank goes empty it will perform as normal. The next time you start it (when empty) it will limit you to 55mph and ultimately to 4 mph in accordance with federal and state requirements. If your truck is operating normally you have plenty of time to refill (approx 1000 miles). When the engine is started, the DEF tank and lines are electrically heated to ensure adequate DEF delivery in cold weather.
TSprint2
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2014-09-11 3:34 PM (#160727 - in reply to #160724)

Originally written by RustyScupper on 2014-09-11 1:45 PM

Originally written by 4quartercirclesperfh on 2014-09-08 9:08 PM2014 Dodge here and all I can say is do it. I have zero complaints about the def and have gone well over 3k miles on one tank, Dodge is the only one of the big three like chevy gmc and ford that will not limit your speed as long as you don't shut it off. They don't run on the def just need it when the emissions gets junky, they don't even need it to start because this stuff will freeze in the winter it is sucked backed in the the heated tank after shut off.
Not exactly true in regards to Chevy. If the DEF tank goes empty it will perform as normal. The next time you start it (when empty) it will limit you to 55mph and ultimately to 4 mph in accordance with federal and state requirements. If your truck is operating normally you have plenty of time to refill (approx 1000 miles). When the engine is started, the DEF tank and lines are electrically heated to ensure adequate DEF delivery in cold weather.
Had a "Check Engine" light displayed on a 2011 Chevrolet Duramax. OnStar diagnonis said that it was a "Tank Heater" malfunction according to their maintenance guide and that I should take to a dealer at my earliest convenience. Dealer said that the DEF heater was shot and needed to be replaced -- at 33,000 miles. He also said that the fly in the buttermilk was that the heater was built into the DEF tank and they both had to be replaced. Great engineering by GM. Both were replaced under warranty. This was the third and last DEF system failure(the two other ones were exhaust sensor failures that limited the engine to 4 mph at either the next fuel fill up or engine start). Ever try to find a dealer in West Texas on a Sunday afternoon? That truck now belongs to someone else...traded it in.
RustyScupper
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2014-09-11 3:51 PM (#160728 - in reply to #160426)

Veteran

TSprit2 - I have an 2011, so I know all the early issues. 1500 miles on the clock and in SD on a Friday at 4:00. Dropped the horse trailer in the parking lot, sat for 2 hours and back on the road. One DEF recall and one other DEF issue in addition to that, no problems since. The Allison Tranny, Duramax motor with the exhaust break is a great combination towing. I had a Dodge Cummins before that and had the tranny go out at 35k.I think it all comes down to you get some good ones and you get some bad ones and hopefully the bad ones don't cost you an arm an a leg in extra repairs.I believe Chevy has all of the DEF issues worked out in the last 4 years.
TSprint2
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2014-09-11 6:18 PM (#160729 - in reply to #160426)

Maybe so. We have owned 6 Duramax's since 2001 and other than injector problems in the 2003 and some electrical problems in a 2005 the DEF issues in the 2011 were the first time we ran into multiple issues on the same system. When GM tried to charge us $480 to repair the sensors on a bogus claim of "defective DEF fluid" we were done. Time will tell if they have "got it right". We still own the 2007 Classic and it has been a great truck.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)