'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Trailer light problems

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-08-17 7:08 PM
5 replies, 3702 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

janjan1
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2014-08-17 8:52 AM (#160427)
Subject: Trailer light problems

You guys have helped me solve many problems before, so here goes with yet another issue that I am stumped about.I have a 2012 Ford F450. I pull a 2008 keifer evolution LQ 3 horse slant. Pulls great. The lights on the trailer however is giving me problems. I have truck and trailer running lights, turn etc on the truck. But have no turning signal lights on the trailer, running lights yes, but no turn signals. I've checked fuses in the truck, replaced one minor 5 amp mini but am getting ready to replace both of the rear lights on the trailer. It is the type where you must replace the whole thing, not just the light bulb. It is the all in one type thing. Does anyone know of something else I can think of? I don't want to be unsafe but I do need turn signals. Lights are about 15 dollars each and I need 4.TIAJan
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-08-17 10:16 AM (#160428 - in reply to #160427)
Subject: RE: Trailer light problems

Extreme Veteran

Do the brake lights work?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-08-17 11:19 AM (#160429 - in reply to #160427)

Expert

Turn on your 4 way emergency lights and see if the trailer turn lights illuminate. These are also your brake lights.

If they don't, I would check the voltage at specific pins in your truck's electrical receptacle. As you are looking at the truck's receptacle, the pin on the right at the 3 o'clock position, feeds the trailer's left brake and turn light. The pin at the 9 o'clock position, feeds the trailers right brake and turn light. With the truck's indicator selected to the left or right, a multi meter will detect a 12V pulse as the truck's lights flashes on and off. If no voltage is noted, you may have a blown fuse or loose wires at the receptacle.

If you have voltage at the truck's receptacle, with a battery charger and a nail, apply voltage to the trailer's plug and the corresponding pins. One lead from the charger will be grounded to the trailer, the other can be moved from pin to pin, used to illuminate the various circuits. Removing the cover from the plug will allow easy access to the various connections. If the lights still don't illuminate, go directly to each light and apply power there. If they don't then work, the problem is probably in the light (s).

You may find some wires may be broken, connections are poor, or the plug (s) may be miswired. Don't buy new lights until you have specifically determined that the old ones are in disrepair.

skippyvcu
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2014-08-17 11:25 AM (#160430 - in reply to #160427)

Regular

The solution is to get a test light and multi-meter and check each circuit to see where you lose the power. Check at each light to see if you have power. That will tell you if you have a light problem or wiring issue. Each turn signal is an independent circuit from the truck. If both are out, it is a problem in the truck wiring. If the running lights on the trailer dim or go out when you use the turn signal or brake, you probably have a ground circuit problem.
trbomax
Reg. May 2014
Posted 2014-08-17 3:28 PM (#160434 - in reply to #160427)

Regular

I will bet that in the end you will find corroded ground wires.Ive been chaseing that around all summer.They use a wire lug and a steel screw into an aluminum trailer with out any anti-ox paste.Running hard grounds would permanently fix all this too but that would cost the mfg another $10 or so.This winter all my lights are getteing hard grounds.
janjan1
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2014-08-17 7:08 PM (#160435 - in reply to #160429)

Ok, let's get this subject up to date as of this afternoon. I went to the parts store and surprise, they had two of the light fixtures I needed. However I had to cut out the old plugs in the trailer in order for the new ones to work since they came with their own plugs. so armed with wire cutters, electrical tape, and a large iced coke (it was really warm outside today) I set out to get these lights working. I started with the left light. There was different color wire coming out of the trailer than what was on the new light fixture, so I wired them up like I thought, and it worked! There was a red, black and white wires coming out of the new light , and white ,red and green in the trailer socket. Green didn't go anywhere actually. So I started on the right, and wired it up exactly like the left.....it didn't work. So I sat down, spoke with my DH by phone ( he is a dialysis patient and can't help me physically like he would like ) and after wiring up and it not working, I switched wires around until about an hour later it actually did work! YEA! I did turn the lights and flashers on in the truck to guide me as I worked and it gave me good insight. Some of the connections only lite the light, but didn't make it flash like the other poster told me. So by having the flashers work I know the brake lights will. Thanks guys for all your help! I owe you guys once again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)