'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
generator for horse trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-09-22 7:39 AM
5 replies, 8383 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2014-09-15 5:29 PM (#160770)
Subject: generator for horse trailer

Extreme Veteran

Wondering how big of a generator to need to run the necessities in my trailer. I have a new Lakota Charger. I travel alone a lot, so would love to get by on one that doesn't weigh much more than 50 lbs. I have battery but would like to run a fan to circulate the air. I'm totally new to having a nice LQ, so am not sure if the furnace runs without the electricity. Looking at a Yamaha 2000 or one like it. Suggestions from you seasoned LQ campers. Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2014-09-15 9:43 PM (#160774 - in reply to #160770)
Subject: RE: generator for horse trailer

Extreme Veteran

I googled honda generators and found powerequipment.honda.com and found a lot of good information that was helpful. I liked the topics "How much power do I need?" and also used their "wattage calculator" you can and put in what you want to be able to use in your trailer and it'll tell you how big of a generator you'd need.I also travel alone and meet up with friends but I wanted to be able to be independent with handling my generator. I ended up with a 3,000 Honda generator and I can put it in and out of my trailer by myself. I bought a wheel set off of E-bay for the 3,000 Honda and had the generator mounted on the wheels so I can push it around easy. I then bought a ramp end set that you'd attach to a board like you'd use to load a four wheeler or lawn mower and had the boards cut 3-4' so I can keep them in my trailer. On the ramp end there's a couple of holes that you can drop a pin in so I had a few holes drilled to drop the pins in so to secure the ramp to the trailer. Just be sure to measure the holes to where the ramps are the distance apart you'd need the boards to be. I did have the board end trimmed at an angle to make it easier to push the generator on. I can push the generator up the ramp and then I open up the divider with the stud wall and store it in the third stall, works good for me.Don't know if you'd have a Farm & Home store near you but I bought mine last year on gray Thursday (Thanksgiving night) when they had one item off in the store for 25% off. Saved me a lot and I guess they usually offer 25% one item every year.
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2014-09-16 9:38 AM (#160779 - in reply to #160770)

Extreme Veteran

I have a Honda EU 3000i that is great. The literature says it weighs 75 lbs. but I can muscle mine around fairly easily and I am a woman. Mine does have a wheel kit but I can lift it in and out of our trailers with no problem.I will also say ours has been through a kind of "trial by fire" this summer. We moved south after buying a larger farm and purchased a house that needed a total gut renovation. Unable to find a rental, we purchased a fifth wheel camper and have been living in it full time since June. Due to the fact we are so far from an electrical hookup I have had use the generator almost daily and it starts on the first pull every time. In order to run your ac and anything else you may want to use, I would either run two 2000 units parrellel or go right to a 3000. My opinion is I'd rather have more wattage and no need to use it all the time rather than not enough.
gliderider
Reg. Nov 2009
Posted 2014-09-17 3:48 PM (#160797 - in reply to #160770)

Veteran

The small ones are quiet too. Dont over look solar to keep your batteries charged. If you have a gas refrigerator & hot water heater, and are not using a microwave or watching TV allot they keep batteries charged up more that one would expect. I use a small solar panel (total cost was under $150.00 with regulator) my furnace, propane detector and CO2 detector ran off 2 batteries for two weeks every night with 1/2 sunlight days. I have a temperature controlled vent but it drains the battery so I installed a solar roof vent, when it's hot and the sun is shining it is venting but not draining my battery. Benefits of solar no noise or smelly gas needed, you can always have a generator as a back up.
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2014-09-21 9:34 AM (#160856 - in reply to #160770)

Elite Veteran

I use the Honda EU2000 with the "Companion" model along with a twenty gallon aux fuel tank. This makes them 4000 watt. Is can easily power the trailer. The aux fuel tank is permanent in the trailer with fuel lines long enough for me to set the generators outside the trailer. I can camp for 4-5 days on the twenty gallons easily. One other thing I like is that if I need to refill the fuel I am not adding fuel to the generator but to the aux tank that is in the trailer. The generators are under 50lbs each and easy to carry.
Cincinnati
Reg. Sep 2014
Posted 2014-09-22 7:39 AM (#160870 - in reply to #160770)

New User

I got tired of fighting a generator I had to carry around and mess with the gas. Ended up putting a propane one on and now all I have too do is get up inn the morning and push a button in the trailer and I have power. Never have to worry about the gas being bad either.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)