'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Does wt.=qualty in alum trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-09-18 12:52 PM
3 replies, 2650 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

TLR
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2014-09-18 10:16 AM (#160815)
Subject: Does wt.=qualty in alum trailers

Regular

We now own a 2010 Elite w/ 11'8"SW Living Quarters,and have been very happy with the trailer. We are older and have changed our riding patterns.We are now wintering in AZ. and would like a little more room in our LQ. My empty Wt on the Elite is 10,800 LB. While searching for a larger trailer, I find in some of the newer more affordable trailers , it takes 18' SW w/ a 12' slide to weigh the same as my Elite. Would I be giving up as much in quality of construction and strength of materials as it would appear. Hope some of you veterans can shed some light on my dilema. Thanx for any input that you could share .
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2014-09-18 10:44 AM (#160816 - in reply to #160815)
Subject: RE: Does wt.=qualty in alum trailers

Extreme Veteran

Lighter weight trailers usually translate to lighter weight materials, or in some cases not as many of those materials used in the mfg. process. The use of thinner walled extrusions; or dimensional changes in components will equal less weight. A lot of companies since the recession of 08 -09, have gone to lighter weight materials in building trailers. It doesn't necessarily mean less quality; but could mean less strength. I know that our best selling trailer brand, that has a 17' short wall w/ a 12' double slide will weigh in the 12,000# range. My guess is that an Elite with that kind of an LQ would weigh more like 13,500 to 14K ; depending of course, on how many horses it's to haul.
TLR
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2014-09-18 12:06 PM (#160817 - in reply to #160815)

Regular

Jim bob,thank you for your response. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I had a 3H.
trbomax
Reg. May 2014
Posted 2014-09-18 12:52 PM (#160818 - in reply to #160815)

Regular

You have to compare apples to apples when looking at this issue.First , the wieght of the LQ must be subtracted. Moat trailers have a spec sticker somewhere that lists the wieght w/o LQ. Then you must consider the floor,if they are the same type (aluminum,rumbar,wood) then you have a valid comparison.The width of the box figures into it as well.An 8' box will wiegh more than a 7' box per foot of length.Tube wall studs will wiegh more than "C" channel if the material wall thickness is comparible and would (IMO) be far more desireable.Frameing around windows and doors,is it aluminum put in by the box mfgr,or wood added by the LQ builder? are the door and window frames and especially neck area heavily gusseted or maybe not so much? Slides add a lot of wieght per foot depending on the manufactureing prosess,but 150 -200# per foot would be reasonable.How many (if any) floor/frame crossmembers were cut ot eliminated when the holding tanks were installed,and was any support added to compensate?Takeing the above into consideration,you can now make a reasonable comparison based on wieght alone,but there are other things to consider. The welding is a major item. Is it "tacked" or "stiched" together,or are the welds (particularly in the frameing) ,continious? Are the welds clean and evenly distributed on both pieces of base metal or do they have stubs,antennas, and stop/start puddles all over?Do they look like they were spit out of a caulk gun,or melted in nicely? Wieght can "come or go" in a trailer for a lot of reasons and in many places.Simply putting the two units on a scale wont tell you much.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)