'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How to find studs in walls of aluminum over steel trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-09-21 4:50 PM
6 replies, 5138 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

FFFran
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2014-09-20 4:05 PM (#160845)
Subject: How to find studs in walls of aluminum over steel trailer

I bought a blanket bar to add to my dressing room in my aluminum over steel trailer. I have had the rack for almost a year as the direction say to make sure to attach to the studs of the wall. I cannot find the studs. If i go all the way through the wall, it goes into the horse are - not something I want to do either. Any tricks for finding the studs?Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
kpack
Reg. Sep 2014
Posted 2014-09-20 4:35 PM (#160846 - in reply to #160845)
Subject: RE: How to find studs in walls of aluminum over steel trailer

Can you look inside the horse quarters and get a measurement and use that inside the tack room. Is the tack in the back of the trailer.
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-09-20 5:27 PM (#160847 - in reply to #160845)

Extreme Veteran

Look for other fasteners or try using a magnet
FFFran
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2014-09-20 5:49 PM (#160848 - in reply to #160845)

Thanks, the dressing room is in the front of the trailer. I just spent time banging with a rubber mallet and a hammer. It seems less hallow horizontally. I see where there are other things attached - the bar does not fit the dimensions. Are studs in trailers horizontal? Finally, I decided to just "go for it" I cant get the first screw to go through. I tried driving a nail through, drilling a hole. I have attached hooks in the past in the side wall. It was tough but doable. These are sheet metal screws. What do you use to get through this stuff? I can't get through the wall that I want the blanket bar on. It is the wall that divides the dressing room from the horses. Inside.
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-09-20 7:11 PM (#160850 - in reply to #160845)

Extreme Veteran

Easiest is to use self tapping screws and a cordless drill. Or drill a small pilot hole and then use the screws......by hand is difficult......use a cordless drill.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-09-20 10:50 PM (#160853 - in reply to #160845)

Expert

Setting a self taping screw into steel is increasingly difficult at the thickness of the metal increases. Trying to punch a hole in steel with a nail is almost impossible, maybe probable in some thin aluminum. As was stated, a drill and bit close in size to the outside diameter of the screw, will be necessary to start a pilot hole. Self drilling screws with cutting tips are available. If the sheeting is aluminum, don't use steel screws, instead use stainless.

I find the easiest way to locate a stud in a wall, is the use of a plastic handled screw driver. It makes a distinctive sound when the panel is over a backing such as a stud, which usually is vertical.

FFFran
Reg. Mar 2013
Posted 2014-09-21 4:50 PM (#160863 - in reply to #160845)

Thanks you for your help everyone. Not sure if I found the stud but it was so hard to get the screws (self drilling stainless steel) in that I hope they do not ever come out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)