'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Winterizing Woes

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-09-27 7:10 PM
5 replies, 4659 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2014-09-21 10:55 AM (#160857)
Subject: Winterizing Woes

Veteran

I currently live in southern Ohio and the winters get very cold, especially last winter. In January my wife and I are going to TX to do the South Texas Trail Riders Corpus Christie to San Antonio trail ride. I will have winterized the trailer by then obviously. We won't be able to pull fast enough to get out of freezing weather the first day. How fast will pipes freeze? Do any of you have suggestions for for how to use the trailer, as well as haul it without bursting the plumbing? I don't want to have to de-winterize the system on the road or stay in a hotel so we can have a shower etc.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
trbomax
Reg. May 2014
Posted 2014-09-21 1:35 PM (#160861 - in reply to #160857)
Subject: RE: Winterizing Woes

Regular

When we lived in NW ohio(15 yrs ago) I never winterized the unit because it was stored in a heated shop building. We would go to fla and texas a couple times during the winter and never drained anything.I just turned the furnace up to75 or so,opened all the interior doors,cupboards and taped them open with duct tape so they couldnt flop around on the road.Left the water heater on too. After the first day we didnt bother with leaveing doors open.Never had a problem. In your case I guess I would leave it winterized but fill the water tank just before you leave. Run the furnace and open the interior doors so as to pre-heat the LQ.The first night out,summerize it and start useing it.2nd day you could drain the lines,then do the same with the heater and doors.Take along enough rv antifreeze to fully witerize it on the way back when you are ready to get on the road for the last push home.
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2014-09-24 6:33 PM (#160911 - in reply to #160857)

Veteran

Didn't think about turning the furnace on and leaving it on while we traveled. Will be nice to get their and not have it freezing. Thanks for the tip.
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2014-09-24 11:44 PM (#160913 - in reply to #160857)

Extreme Veteran

I think if you de-winterize, and blow out your lines, then only fill your water tank 2/3 full you would be alright. The sloushing of the water while your are moving should keep it from freezing in tank and you won't have any in the lines.

Or, you could de-winterize, and blow out your lines, and wait to fill your tank when you get to warmer part of your trip.

PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2014-09-25 4:10 PM (#160925 - in reply to #160857)

Veteran

Definitely agree with blowing out your water lines instead of filling with antifreeze. That stuff is a pita to entirely remove from the water lines. We haven't used it in the water lines for years - either on our horse trailer or 5th wheel. However DO use it in all the sink traps and toilet bowl AFTER blowing out the water lines. Pour some in the toilet and grey water waste tanks so it protects your dump valves. De-winterizing is then simply filling the water tank, replacing the drain plug in the water heater, reconnecting the pump, and turning it on. Enjoy the warm weather.
goz63
Reg. Dec 2011
Posted 2014-09-27 7:10 PM (#160940 - in reply to #160857)

Veteran

I have in the past winterized with the antifreeze. I do have an attachment for my air compressor to blow out the lines. I will just put the antifreeze in the sink traps etc. That will make de-winterizing much easier on the road. Thanks for the tips. Should make the trip easier.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)