'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Titan trailer wheel heats up!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-10-06 12:55 AM
10 replies, 6920 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

az4hmom
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2014-09-23 12:17 AM (#160891)
Subject: Titan trailer wheel heats up!

HELP! I purchased a 2006 Titan Renegade 3H LQ trailer. Drove home approx. 40 miles, mostly highway, with no problems. Took the trailer from Southern AZ to Colorado with not problems. Suddenly, now when I take my trailer on short trips (approx. 50 miles or less) and arrive at my destination, the right rear wheel heats up. It becomes so hot, it smells as though grease is burning and emits a small amount of smoke. The wheel is so hot, you are unable to touch it for any amount of time. The other 3 wheels are all 'normal' to the touch. My husband is stumped. Some of the things he has tried up to this point to figure out why the ONE wheel continues to heat up include: Charged the breakaway battery to 11 volts, took it off the charger and it dropped to less than 1 volt immediately. Pulled the 'hot' wheel on 2 different occasions to be sure the bearing and grease where fine - No melted grease or sign of it burning. Repacked bearings and it happened again. Checked the voltage on the magnet and the ground wire - all were fine. When brake applied, the magnet was energized. When released the brake, it de-energized so the pad is NOT sticking. ANY IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS as to why ONLY ONE wheel suddenly heats up, smells of burnt grease and emits a small amount of smoke? If it were the breakaway battery (which I will be replacing) why would only ONE tire heat up?? I am terrified to place my horses in the trailer until this mystery is solved. PLEASE HELP! THANKS!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2014-09-23 8:59 AM (#160893 - in reply to #160891)
Subject: RE: Titan trailer wheel heats up!

Veteran

You have ruled out the easy stuff. A dead breakaway battery should not be causing the issues. Sounds like the brake system is working it is not releasing. By chance when you first inspected the brakes was there grease on the brakeshoes? If the seal failed at some time and coated the brake shoes could explain a lot. jg
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-09-23 9:33 AM (#160894 - in reply to #160891)

Extreme Veteran

Are all the brake springs in place? I would replace the brake assembly and see what it does. Available on ebay...use the oem made by dexter, not China. Check the drum....resurface if needed. As long as you are at it, change the bearings and races and seals. If still having a problem, could be a bent spindle.
Spin Doctor
Reg. Nov 2008
Posted 2014-09-23 1:53 PM (#160895 - in reply to #160891)

Extreme Veteran

What exactly heats up? Tire, rim, or hub/drum? Is trailer running level and loaded evenly? To much weight on one axle could overload tire causing overheating. Any abnormal tire wear which could show bent axle? When the tire is off the ground, can you hear a little bit of drag on brakes when you spin the tire or does the drag sound come and go? If not consistant, you have a warped brake drum.

My guess is bad bearings and/or adjustment.

Good luck!
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-09-23 3:43 PM (#160896 - in reply to #160891)

Extreme Veteran

Forgot to tell you to manually adjust all four brakes....instructions available on Dexter website. You should inspect all four brakes as well....could be grease contamination of the shoes....happens when the grease seals fail.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2014-09-23 5:59 PM (#160899 - in reply to #160891)

Expert

Originally written by az4hmom on 2014-09-23 12:17 AM

HELP! I purchased a 2006 Titan Renegade 3H LQ trailer. Drove home approx. 40 miles, mostly highway, with no problems. Took the trailer from Southern AZ to Colorado with not problems. Suddenly, now when I take my trailer on short trips (approx. 50 miles or less) and arrive at my destination, the right rear wheel heats up. It becomes so hot, it smells as though grease is burning and emits a small amount of smoke. The wheel is so hot, you are unable to touch it for any amount of time. The other 3 wheels are all 'normal' to the touch. My husband is stumped. Some of the things he has tried up to this point to figure out why the ONE wheel continues to heat up include: Charged the breakaway battery to 11 volts, took it off the charger and it dropped to less than 1 volt immediately. Pulled the 'hot' wheel on 2 different occasions to be sure the bearing and grease where fine - No melted grease or sign of it burning. Repacked bearings and it happened again. Checked the voltage on the magnet and the ground wire - all were fine. When brake applied, the magnet was energized. When released the brake, it de-energized so the pad is NOT sticking. ANY IDEAS/SUGGESTIONS as to why ONLY ONE wheel suddenly heats up, smells of burnt grease and emits a small amount of smoke? If it were the breakaway battery (which I will be replacing) why would only ONE tire heat up?? I am terrified to place my horses in the trailer until this mystery is solved. PLEASE HELP! THANKS!!
The fact that it deenrgizes does NOT mean it is NOT sticking...it sounds like one brake is seriously out of adjustment...like several recommended jack up the hot side and see if those wheels are free spinning...NO DRAG
az4hmom
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2014-09-27 11:37 PM (#160946 - in reply to #160891)

THANK YOU ALL for the wonderful advice! My husband and I APPRECIATE all the great recommendations/ideas. Justgurn, no grease on the brake shoes. Beeoerdog, springs are all in place, bearings repacked and seals A-OK. Spin Doctor, there is no sign of abnormal tire wear, brake drums are not warped (as far as my husband can tell). It is the entire rim/hub/tire assembly that is heating up. Paul Christenson, my husband has now jacked the silly trailer up 3 times, and made sure to spin all 4 tires to compare and make sure all are free spinning. My husband was a diesel mechanic for MANY years. He is frustrated as he feels he has checked ALL there is to check. He re-adjusted the brakes (for the second time) on all 4 wheels. It has been raining very hard, so haven't had a chance to 'test drive' the trailer under what would be our normal conditions. Hopefully the rain will subside and tomorrow will be the 'test' day. If all is still not correct, he will concede and just replace all 4 brake assemblies (they all look fairly new). He hates to be stumped or beat at something that he feels is so simple and should not be this complex to figure out. I will keep you updated after our test drive. Again, THANKS to everyone for your quick responses and ideas. Fingers crossed, all goes well
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2014-09-27 11:48 PM (#160948 - in reply to #160946)

Expert

Originally written by az4hmom on 2014-09-27 11:37 PM

THANK YOU ALL for the wonderful advice! My husband and I APPRECIATE all the great recommendations/ideas. Justgurn, no grease on the brake shoes. Beeoerdog, springs are all in place, bearings repacked and seals A-OK. Spin Doctor, there is no sign of abnormal tire wear, brake drums are not warped (as far as my husband can tell). It is the entire rim/hub/tire assembly that is heating up. Paul Christenson, my husband has now jacked the silly trailer up 3 times, and made sure to spin all 4 tires to compare and make sure all are free spinning. My husband was a diesel mechanic for MANY years. He is frustrated as he feels he has checked ALL there is to check. He re-adjusted the brakes (for the second time) on all 4 wheels. It has been raining very hard, so haven't had a chance to 'test drive' the trailer under what would be our normal conditions. Hopefully the rain will subside and tomorrow will be the 'test' day. If all is still not correct, he will concede and just replace all 4 brake assemblies (they all look fairly new). He hates to be stumped or beat at something that he feels is so simple and should not be this complex to figure out. I will keep you updated after our test drive. Again, THANKS to everyone for your quick responses and ideas. Fingers crossed, all goes well
Did he have the trailer electrically connected to the tow vehicle, when he was checking the free spinning? Did he have you multiple times apply the brakes and release them while checking the free spinning?
justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2014-09-29 10:55 AM (#160960 - in reply to #160891)

Veteran

Az4hmom husband is right it is going to be a simple problem. Since your husband has wrenched I will suggest disconnecting the power to the problem wheel and test drive. If it doesn't heat up then focus on the brakes.Best of luck.
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2014-09-29 11:19 AM (#160961 - in reply to #160891)

Extreme Veteran

After trying Paul's last suggestion, I would check the resistance of all four magnets. Someone could have replaced the magnet on the bad wheel with the wrong magnet.
az4hmom
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2014-10-06 12:55 AM (#161056 - in reply to #160891)

After 2 trips with the trailer, approx. 100 miles each trip, the problem MAY be solved. My husband removed, cleaned, readjusted all for brakes, repacked bearings, etc. He did everything short of replacing the entire brake assembly. Both trips left the tire/wheel/hub hot, but not any hotter than the others. Again, Thanks for all the responses. Still not sure exactly what it was that 'fixed' the problem, but it does seem to have subsided.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)