'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Finishing GN into Weekender

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-11-06 11:47 PM
3 replies, 4582 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

stayceem
Reg. Oct 2014
Posted 2014-10-29 7:19 PM (#161329)
Subject: Finishing GN into Weekender

New User

I know this topic has been discussed a lot and I have gone and read through many past threads. I was just wondering what order you do everything in. I just bought a Dream Coach 3h w/4' short wall. I am wanting to add in the basic living quarters but want to make sure I have the order right and know other experiences. These are my must haves: Self Contained Sink, Microwave, fridge, lots of storage, heater and a bench of some kind. I have seen a lot of examples that I like. Looking into electricians to get it wired up first and foremost. Then insulationWhat do you use for paneling? I would like to stay away from wood and would prefer it to be something similar to sheet rock. What do you use? Whats the best for inside a trailer?Floors, I have found a trailer with a squishy maybe cork flooring? What is the best for non-slip, easy to clean, etc? What heaters have you used? I live in MN so it can vary from 20-60 degrees towards end of the show season. What else must I know? I am open to any and all info you have to offer! Any links are also appreciated :)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Linda Y
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2014-10-30 8:58 AM (#161333 - in reply to #161329)
Subject: RE: Finishing GN into Weekender

Extreme Veteran

Are you on Facebook? There is a group on there you could join that is a wealth of information on this... Horse Trailer Conversion. It is a closed group...you will have to ask to join.
Also try the site http://todd.redwrench.com/
PDGx
Reg. Jul 2011
Posted 2014-10-30 9:20 AM (#161334 - in reply to #161329)

Veteran

Lots of opinions here, but first - make a scaled layout of what you would like to do. Use actual dimensions of components to insure everything will fit. Square Inches will be at a premium with a 4' short wall. Then mock up your plan using cardboard and/or 2x2's to get a visual of how it will actually look. Looking at previous posts, you will see that everything comes together at the same time if you are doing the while LQ at the same time. Electrical and plumbing lines will need to go in early, so you need to know your intended appliance locations before routing them. Cabinets, counters, walls, will take a considerable amount of time before final electrical and plumbing connections are finalized. Keep in mind appliance sizes so you don't box yourself in. I would stay away from drywall in a trailer - too much flexing and moisture. There are many varieties of wall paneling that can provide the look you want. Look at any of the home improvement stores. They have wood, plastic, and textured panels. Some paintable if you prefer. Just keep in mind the flexing of the trailer. I used wood paneling on the walls and a faux leather paneling on the ceiling. They have held up very well. I also used linoleum on the floor ( over foam board insulation and OSB ) as it is very cleanable. As far a heater - I used a heating coil inside the AC as we don't do overnighters with this trailer alone in colder weather. We do supliment with a ceramic heater when necessary, but with your temps, I would consider a LP furnace like we have in out 5th wheeler. It would fit in a cabinet and provide substantial heat in a LQ your size. As far as components, look at any RV supplier (you can search online for 'RV xxxxxx' to find anything) for 12v compatible appliances and lighting. Most of you wiring will be 12v except for you microwave, and heater. You can comete your LQ to many levels of finish, from basic plywood or high finish depending on your desires and capabilities. Post specific questions when you get your plan laid out and you will get lots of ideas here.
stayceem
Reg. Oct 2014
Posted 2014-11-06 11:47 PM (#161435 - in reply to #161334)

New User

Originally written by PDGx on 2014-10-30 9:20 AM

Lots of opinions here, but first - make a scaled layout of what you would like to do. Use actual dimensions of components to insure everything will fit. Square Inches will be at a premium with a 4' short wall. Then mock up your plan using cardboard and/or 2x2's to get a visual of how it will actually look. Looking at previous posts, you will see that everything comes together at the same time if you are doing the while LQ at the same time. Electrical and plumbing lines will need to go in early, so you need to know your intended appliance locations before routing them. Cabinets, counters, walls, will take a considerable amount of time before final electrical and plumbing connections are finalized. Keep in mind appliance sizes so you don't box yourself in. I would stay away from drywall in a trailer - too much flexing and moisture. There are many varieties of wall paneling that can provide the look you want. Look at any of the home improvement stores. They have wood, plastic, and textured panels. Some paintable if you prefer. Just keep in mind the flexing of the trailer. I used wood paneling on the walls and a faux leather paneling on the ceiling. They have held up very well. I also used linoleum on the floor ( over foam board insulation and OSB ) as it is very cleanable. As far a heater - I used a heating coil inside the AC as we don't do overnighters with this trailer alone in colder weather. We do supliment with a ceramic heater when necessary, but with your temps, I would consider a LP furnace like we have in out 5th wheeler. It would fit in a cabinet and provide substantial heat in a LQ your size. As far as components, look at any RV supplier (you can search online for 'RV xxxxxx' to find anything) for 12v compatible appliances and lighting. Most of you wiring will be 12v except for you microwave, and heater. You can comete your LQ to many levels of finish, from basic plywood or high finish depending on your desires and capabilities. Post specific questions when you get your plan laid out and you will get lots of ideas here.
Thank you for all the insight. I have the very basics drawn out but still have a lot of details to go through. I am having a lot of help to complete this project and they know much more than I do but I wanted to try and be as informed as I can be since I know they'll be looking to me for decisions. Is it absolutely necessary to use 12v fridge? Thats if I want them to run foo battery correct? I am planning on doing a self contained sink (no plumbing). Just easier for what my uses will be.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)