'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Michelin XPS Rib or BF Goodrich Commercial TA

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-11-19 9:13 AM
8 replies, 7581 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

flypony74
Reg. Oct 2012
Posted 2014-11-17 9:00 PM (#161636)
Subject: Michelin XPS Rib or BF Goodrich Commercial TA

I am replacing the tires on our 3H, and while I have primarily been shopping around for the Michelins, the Goodrich was suggested as a comparable but less expensive alternative. I am still leaning toward the Michelins because I have experience with them and I don't tend to skimp on trailer tires, but if the Goodrich is truly comparable, it would be great to save a little $$. Any input on the comparison?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2014-11-17 11:59 PM (#161638 - in reply to #161636)
Subject: RE: Michelin XPS Rib or BF Goodrich Commercial TA

Expert

They both are good tires. The Michelin brand is generally known for having a longer thread life than the Goodrich, but the Goodrich is rated for at least a six year life span. Most trailer tires do not die from wearing out, rather sidewall damage due to dry rotting. I have experience with the Goodrich truck tires and am very pleased. I also own Michelin tires on my automobile, and again am very pleased. I think each would suffice your needs quite well.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2014-11-18 7:07 AM (#161640 - in reply to #161636)

Expert

I have personally owned the Goodrich Commercial TA's and can say they are, from my experiences, a better built tire for the money. I put 50K miles on my last pair and they still looked new when I sold the truck.I also live within 5 miles of the Michelin plant in Ardmore, OK. People around here only get them if they can use an employee discount...in order to buy them at any local tire shop they must be special ordered. Strange, no?
justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2014-11-18 8:34 AM (#161643 - in reply to #161636)

Veteran

On my horse trailer I run Goodyear G614 RST and not had any issues. On my 30' flatbed I run the Gladiator QR35-TR Trailer Service and no issues to date. I prefer not to run LT tires on my trailers they are not designed for that type of service. Don't get me wrong there are thousands of LT tire on trailers. In a past life I specified material and there is overlap but their not the same. I don't know if the Gladiator tire will ever moved up from experimental status.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2014-11-18 8:55 AM (#161644 - in reply to #161636)

Elite Veteran

For what it is worth, Michelin, Uniroyal, and BFGoodrich are all brands of the MAST group (Michelin Americas Small Tires). Using similar technology to produce tires, with different target markets via the brand name. That is why often you'll see all 3 brands listed on the same sign pole. BFG is now the sport brand, but decades ago there was a large commercial faction as well. So that is likely where this tire falls into the range. Probably a great tire for the money. Just compare construction specs. The XPS is all steel, like the G614 Goodyear. I have not studied the BFG you mention.
TLR
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2014-11-18 4:20 PM (#161658 - in reply to #161636)

Regular

Not to get to far off topic, but I woul like some opinions on my tire situation. I just purchased a used Elite 3H w/ 17' SW w/slide. The tires are Goodyear G16 RST Unisteel LT 235 85R16 Loadrange G as called for on the trailer tag. My dilema lies in the fact that the tires are 7 yrs old but have no signs of weather check on the sidewalls and have 10-12 thirty/seconds" tread depth. New tires will run about $1270.00.  We are heading to Phoenix in about a month. Should I run them awhile, as it appears they would be fine, or should I just bite the bullet and get new tires. Opinions, please and thank you!
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2014-11-18 7:43 PM (#161670 - in reply to #161636)

Veteran

TLR,

My opinion on your tire situation is to REPLACE them (notice the capital letters :)

We had a very similar situation with our 2006 Hart 13 ft LQ x 8 ft wide 3H trailer. This trailer was “new to us” last year and came with Goodyear G614 RST tires, “G” load rating, in a 235-85-16 size. Tire specs include new tread depth = 12/32”, speed rating = 75 mph and maximum load = 3750 lbs per tire. The tires “looked great”, still about 10/32” tread remaining, no weather checking and no “indications” of problems. Even thought these tires “looked” great, they “were” in fact still 8 years old!

Our trailer is heavy – weighs in at 11,800 lbs empty and 16,700 lbs with two horses and loaded for camping. Over the scale our trailer was 12,300 lbs on the trailer axles and 4400 lbs on the gooseneck hitch. ASSUMING that each of the 4 tires was “equally loaded” means that each tire was carrying 3075 lbs (12,300 lbs / 4 tires) which is 82% of the maximum tire loading.

We decided to keep using these tires, since they “looked” so good. We were about 60 miles from home, heading out for a horse weekend when we experienced a blow out at 60 mph on one of the back tires when heading down a hill. A good portion of the tire tread had basically separated and unwrapped from the tire. The tires were inflated at the time to the recommended inflation pressure of 110 psi.

I was glad to be sufficiently “trucked” with our F350 dually and we safely slowed down, pulled the trailer off of the highway and replaced the blown out tire with the spare. There was some minor damage to the horse trailer aluminum fender which was rectified on the spot with a bit of hammering and we were back on our way. But it could have been worse.

Before our next trip, we replaced all 5 tires (spare included) with new tires. We shopped around quite a bit and even considered upsizing to 215-75-17.5 tires which are rated for 4805 lbs, which would have reduced the loading of the tires to 64%. In talking to our Goodyear commercial tire manager, we gained confidence in staying with the Goodyear G614 RST in the original 235-85-16 tire size, as his local experience with these tires was that commercial users were loading them heavy and not having any problems.

We put the new tires on and found that the trailer even pulled better and was smoother going over bumps, if that makes any sense (softer rubber perhaps). And we can now go down the road with more confidence, not having to worry about a blow out.

Your Elite 3H x 17 ft LQ with slide likely weighs as much or more than our trailer, meaning that your tire loading is probably above the 82% loading we are under. I would suggest that you consider replacing your tires before your planned trip as your tire age is also likely past a safe, usable age.

Also worth mentioning is an article which I found online regarding the decision process a fellow RV owner when through when deciding to upsize his tires. See this article at: http://www.dmbruss.com/zFullTimeLifeStyle/FTLS_Tires_SizeChange.htm

Regards, 3CW
TLR
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2014-11-19 8:58 AM (#161675 - in reply to #161636)

Regular

Thanx 3CW,

I appreciate all your efforts. Your information was very helpful and so was the article in the link you directed me too. We will be headed to AZ on a new set of Goodyears.

justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2014-11-19 9:13 AM (#161677 - in reply to #161670)

Veteran

Well said.

Originally written by ThreeCW on 2014-11-18 7:43 PM

TLR,

My opinion on your tire situation is to REPLACE them (notice the capital letters :)

We had a very similar situation with our 2006 Hart 13 ft LQ x 8 ft wide 3H trailer. This trailer was “new to us” last year and came with Goodyear G614 RST tires, “G” load rating, in a 235-85-16 size. Tire specs include new tread depth = 12/32”, speed rating = 75 mph and maximum load = 3750 lbs per tire. The tires “looked great”, still about 10/32” tread remaining, no weather checking and no “indications” of problems. Even thought these tires “looked” great, they “were” in fact still 8 years old!

Our trailer is heavy – weighs in at 11,800 lbs empty and 16,700 lbs with two horses and loaded for camping. Over the scale our trailer was 12,300 lbs on the trailer axles and 4400 lbs on the gooseneck hitch. ASSUMING that each of the 4 tires was “equally loaded” means that each tire was carrying 3075 lbs (12,300 lbs / 4 tires) which is 82% of the maximum tire loading.

We decided to keep using these tires, since they “looked” so good. We were about 60 miles from home, heading out for a horse weekend when we experienced a blow out at 60 mph on one of the back tires when heading down a hill. A good portion of the tire tread had basically separated and unwrapped from the tire. The tires were inflated at the time to the recommended inflation pressure of 110 psi.

I was glad to be sufficiently “trucked” with our F350 dually and we safely slowed down, pulled the trailer off of the highway and replaced the blown out tire with the spare. There was some minor damage to the horse trailer aluminum fender which was rectified on the spot with a bit of hammering and we were back on our way. But it could have been worse.

Before our next trip, we replaced all 5 tires (spare included) with new tires. We shopped around quite a bit and even considered upsizing to 215-75-17.5 tires which are rated for 4805 lbs, which would have reduced the loading of the tires to 64%. In talking to our Goodyear commercial tire manager, we gained confidence in staying with the Goodyear G614 RST in the original 235-85-16 tire size, as his local experience with these tires was that commercial users were loading them heavy and not having any problems.

We put the new tires on and found that the trailer even pulled better and was smoother going over bumps, if that makes any sense (softer rubber perhaps). And we can now go down the road with more confidence, not having to worry about a blow out.

Your Elite 3H x 17 ft LQ with slide likely weighs as much or more than our trailer, meaning that your tire loading is probably above the 82% loading we are under. I would suggest that you consider replacing your tires before your planned trip as your tire age is also likely past a safe, usable age.

Also worth mentioning is an article which I found online regarding the decision process a fellow RV owner when through when deciding to upsize his tires. See this article at: http://www.dmbruss.com/zFullTimeLifeStyle/FTLS_Tires_SizeChange.htm

Regards, 3CW

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)