'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
extra fresh water tank

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-12-09 11:46 PM
4 replies, 3408 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trailgaiting
Reg. Nov 2014
Posted 2014-11-26 8:22 PM (#161807)
Subject: extra fresh water tank

New User

i am about to install an extra (55 gal) fresh water tank on the hay rack of a lakota lq . . . (we find we need the extra water for horses, showers, etc, because we often boondock where water is not always available) . . . the tank is an opaque plastic, like those commonly used in rvs . . . my questions: should i be worried about the possibility of algae growth in the tank, given that is on top of the lq where it will often be in sunlight??? . . . could a reflective coating of some kind be applied to the outside of the tank to minimize any tendency for algae growth??? . . . could rigid insulation boards be glued on the tank to block sunlight, or would they rip off as soon as i hit highway speeds??? . . . how about a spray on foam insulation??? . . . would something as simple as a canvas "boat style" cover do the trick??? . . . thanks much!!! . . .
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2014-11-27 7:31 AM (#161813 - in reply to #161807)
Subject: RE: extra fresh water tank

Expert

I never had any algae problems, But I used the water on a pretty regular basis so I was constantly refilling the tank. Once a week or every other week. I was using city water that has all the purification chemicals in it, Not well water. I'm sure if I let it stand for months I could have a problem. but if I knew I wasn't going to use the trailer for any length of time I drained the tanks
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2014-11-27 5:52 PM (#161818 - in reply to #161807)

Veteran

I have a 325 gal tank for the back of my truck (fire fighting and watering in the pasture) and a 65 gal High Country Plastic tank that we use to supplement our LQ water supply, both are white. When not in use I add a cup of bleach. When it comes time to use the water I just flush it out and it is good to go.
trailgaiting
Reg. Nov 2014
Posted 2014-11-28 5:22 AM (#161831 - in reply to #161807)

New User

hey, thanks for all of the input . . . it sounds like i was making this harder than it needs to be . . .
khushfehmi045
Reg. Dec 2014
Posted 2014-12-09 11:46 PM (#161998 - in reply to #161831)

New User

I've never had a problem with mine, But different climates have different problems.-----GuL
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)