'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
keeping your horses hydrated away from home

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-02-06 11:02 PM
9 replies, 6506 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2014-12-21 6:05 AM (#162106)
Subject: keeping your horses hydrated away from home

Regular

Would be interested in hearing how everyone gets there horses to drink water when away from home. My experience is some will drink anything/anywhere but then some are hesitant to drink anything different then their own barn water. We travel a lot with our horses and run into this problem often. Would appreciate hearing what you do to keep your horses hydrated away from home.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
ID_Cowboy
Reg. Aug 2014
Posted 2014-12-21 11:36 AM (#162114 - in reply to #162106)
Subject: RE: keeping your horses hydrated away from home

Personally mine will drink when thirsty but a friend of mine had a picky drinker and they would put a packet of cool-aid in the horses water at home and then put the same flavor cool-aid in the horses water when traveling. One can also feed beet pulp that has been soaked in water.
Remington77
Reg. Nov 2011
Posted 2014-12-21 6:40 PM (#162118 - in reply to #162106)

Regular

have any idea what flavors he uses?
ID_Cowboy
Reg. Aug 2014
Posted 2014-12-22 7:05 AM (#162121 - in reply to #162106)

Nope, I don't think the flavor is critical as long as you use the same flavor at home and on the road, and the horse will drink it.
mulerider01
Reg. Aug 2012
Posted 2014-12-22 3:24 PM (#162122 - in reply to #162106)

Regular

start them with a little apple juice will also work
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2014-12-29 2:17 PM (#162189 - in reply to #162106)

Expert

My horses have all been good drinkers. Having done rides in everything from Desert to Alpine mountains, They have learned to drink any water. Of course they have to be thirsty. I often find (My geldings in particular) don't drink the first night that we arrive. And often not the next morning, But by mid day they will start to drink after a few hours of work. Once they start. They seem to want water at every water hole we pass.A couple of things you can do in camp. I always give my horses the chance to drink with meals. But after they seem to have drank all the want. I will offer Soaked Beet Pulp. My horses love it and will slurp it down, even if they are not thirsty. I make it a little extra soupy just before I offer it and we head out. My horses are also big fans of Water melon. Especially during the summer when they are in season, I'll stop by my neighboring farmer and grab several that are just a little too ripe. He gives them to be for free. At camp just before heading out, I'll drop a melon and bust it open and let my horses eat it. They won't leave a drop on the ground. A lot of water in a melon, A good way to sneek a little extra into a horse that doesn't want to drink. But as mentioned, My horses have learned to drink almost anything on the trail photo San-Bathtub.jpg
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2014-12-30 7:41 PM (#162195 - in reply to #162106)

Expert

I personally pack, orange Gatorade in the big tub that you can scoop out of and make gallons at a time. I have hauled with people that used TANG, Kool-Aid, salty snacks(chips), candy and everything in-between. Martha Josey used strawberry Kool-Aid.The trick is really in finding what your horse likes and what will mask the taste and smell of the water you will find on the road. We use a hose end filter for our show cattle that we found online at Sullivan's show supply. This small filter attaches on the hose and really takes all the nasty smell out of the water we find on the road. I will be using this new trick with the horses going forward.Some folks just add a healthy dose of salt to the feed and the horse will be drawn to water like a magnet. Once your horses are road warriors they will learn to drink nearly anything! Keep them eating and they will drink accordingly.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2014-12-30 7:44 PM (#162196 - in reply to #162106)

Expert

https://www.sullivansupply.com/cart/ia/p-534-sullivans-water-purifie...
aceliberty
Reg. Sep 2011
Posted 2015-01-04 8:05 AM (#162231 - in reply to #162106)

Extreme Veteran

I had a horse who was a picky drinker while traveling. While attending a Parelli clinic, the trainer's husband told me how they dealt with a drinking problem traveling the country. He told me to buy blackstrap molasses and pour enough to coat the bottom of a bucket and then fill it with water. It did the job for my horse. He reluctantly drank it while my friend's horse that was a good drinker, literally devoured the bucket and licked the floor for the drops that had spilled out.I always traveled with a jar of blackstrap molasses since then. I had to buy it at a health food store. Expensive, but worth it at the time I owned that horse.
lunaa65
Reg. Feb 2015
Posted 2015-02-06 11:02 PM (#162484 - in reply to #162106)

This may not work for most horses...BUT...I was grooming for my father at a horse trials two weeks ago. (He lives halfway across the country, so I'm not completely familiar with his horse's routines.)His horse also has a history of not drinking when away from the barn. My Dad broke up carrots and apples and dropped them into the water bucket. The horse then had an absolute blast sloshing all about in the water to get the treats! Afterward, the water then was flavored with the remnants and he did drink a good amount during play and afterward.I continued this trick throughout the weekend, but I did have to refreshen the bucket a lot, as I didn't want the "goopy" water to sit too long. But it did work well for the horse. Granted, this particular horse LOVES to play in the spray of the hose with his nose too and is a total barn "gremlin", so he's naturally playful and liked this game.I then tried this trick with my mare this past weekend at a horse trials. She just looked dissapointed when I dropped her carrots and apples into the water bucket. "Why would you do that to me?" is the expression she gave. I tried to engage her by splashing my hand about in the bucket and holding up the pieces just above the water. She was not amused. She ate the wet pieces out of my hand later though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)