'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
replacing floor in LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-05-18 11:37 AM
8 replies, 6674 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2015-01-23 6:18 AM (#162348)
Subject: replacing floor in LQ

Extreme Veteran

Hey all, I hope to gain some wisdom from those of you that have "been there, done that."

My wife and I just purchased a LQ trailer with a 7' shortwall. It's 7' wide. It is all aluminum with a solid aluminum floor. We bought the trailer knowing that the linoleum needed to be replaced and part of the wood sub floor needed to be cut out and replaced due to a water leak from the water tank under the dinette.

I am looking for tips and tricks to do this without having to pull the entire LQ out, meaning cabinets, walls, dinette, fridge, etc. It looks like the LQ was built by LSR conversions, at least that what the stickers say.

They installed the wood sub-floor and linoleum on top of carpet, then put the cabinets and dinette on top of the linoleum. Is this common practice? It looks as if the sub-floor is going to have to come out as well as the carpet underneath on a little more than half of the LQ to do it right. (much more invasive than I had anticipated).

From your experience, is the linoleum hard to install in such a tight space or would a floating laminate be a viable option?

Thanks in advance!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2015-01-23 7:18 AM (#162349 - in reply to #162348)
Subject: RE: replacing floor in LQ

Extreme Veteran

Building the cabinets on top of the laminate is industry standard. All the RV builders lay the flooring front to back then set the cabinets. In fact in motor homes they do this and then build the walls around everything.

I'm shocked that they left the carpet down and built on top of it. After a water leak I can't imagine how bad that carpet is. I laid carpet in one of my early builds. It wasn't bad so I imagine the linoleum wouldn't be either. I've seen many trailers with laminate installed, I'm sure that would be much easier since you're only taking small strips in at a time. What every you choose I would never install carpet again. We use throw rugs in our current trailer. Rug gets dirty take it out and hose it or if it's bad enough buy a new one.

Unfortunately you've got a major job ahead of you. I would consider gutting the entire interior. Then you could build from the floor up with out the concern of trying to save parts of it. But of course cost could dictate your path.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-01-23 7:24 AM (#162350 - in reply to #162348)

Expert

Laminate flooring is inexpensive, easily installed and long lasting. Because it consists of relatively short lengths, the installation in a confined area is quite manageable. When you decide on what covering you want, buy some extra material. Great deals are available with "close outs", but being able to later match the same products can become impossible.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2015-01-23 8:24 AM (#162352 - in reply to #162348)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks. I was very unpleasantly surprised when I found the carpet. It looks as if it may have been a carpeted dressing room then sent to the conversion company from the factory. I know the dinette, water tank, water heater, and cabinets that are closest to the front will have to come out or at least unsecured from the floor, but I really wanted to avoid taking walls and the kitchen cabinets out due to all the propane lines that I am not familiar with.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2015-01-23 10:41 AM (#162353 - in reply to #162348)

Elite Veteran

LQ shells are built without carpet. Those trailer that have carpet and then sent for a LQ are often glued down, so too much trouble to pull up.

I have replaced the subfloor around the cabinets before if the damage didn't go too far under. Saved pulling everything out. Just measure & cut very carefully. As you said- the entire floor and flooring is installed before any cabinetry- that's standard for the industry.

Have used regular vinyl, and the floating vinyl. Both seem to work well. I think the laminate wood seems to not wear very well under the grit.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2015-01-23 1:28 PM (#162355 - in reply to #162348)

Elite Veteran

I didn't think about the carpet and leak- you may be right, it likely needs to come up.As to those gas lines, aren't they just copper line coming up through the floor? Most seem to have black iron underneath, then up through the floor with copper. So unhooking that won't be terribly difficult. You'll just have to leak test when all goes together.
jennie1009
Reg. Apr 2015
Posted 2015-04-28 11:50 PM (#163289 - in reply to #162348)

New User

Just wondered if you got the flooring in your LQ replaced and what was involved? I'm looking at having to do the same project this summer...ugh! any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated :-)
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2015-04-29 2:54 AM (#163290 - in reply to #162348)

Elite Veteran

We did ours in laminate, and love it! It is good looking and durable. We tweeked our LQ when we hated so many cookie cutter trailers...I hate vinyl flooring ANYWHERE, so it was covered asap... even though it was new "good stuff"...I would like to make one more revision... a copper vessel sink in the bathroom and change out the vanity light. We will fabricate a small piece of granite over the existing stuff.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2015-05-18 11:37 AM (#163454 - in reply to #162348)

Extreme Veteran

Well, I have just finished removing the old flooring and frankly, IT SUCKED! I found more damage the deeper I got. The entire plywood underlayment was saturated. It looks as though this happened probably late last year and froze over the winter. Now that it thawed, I (had) a mess. I removed all the floor level tanks and appliances and about 30% of the cabinets, shower pan/stall, etc. There was a first layer of old linoleum, then plywood, then carpet that was attached directly to the aluminum subfloor. Had I not tackled this project now, the entire LQ would have been lost to mold damage. I am now in the beginning of the rebuild laying new wood. I soaked the roof and all seams with water to make sure there were no leaks. I found that the shower pan was cracked and the kitchen sink leaked, but it is still my guess that the pump was left on and it pumped an entire tank of water onto the floor.

I do have some questions. Should I put anything between the aluminum and untreated plywood? Should I put anything under the plumbing connections to hopefully avoid this happening again? Also any tricks or tips to fit the wood and linoleum back underneath the walls/cabinets?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)