'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Aluminum floors in general

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-03-02 7:04 AM
14 replies, 10105 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

oldfashioned
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2015-02-21 2:02 PM (#162645)
Subject: Aluminum floors in general

Why are they usually crosswise instead of lengthwise? Are planks better than sheets? What is the life expectancy? Are they always welded to the walls? How do they weather in an open stock trailer? How do they weather if covered by rubber mats? If given the same care(cleaning,storage, etc)how do they compare to treated wood? How replaceable are they? Anything I forgot to ask?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
oldfashioned
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2015-02-24 10:58 AM (#162677 - in reply to #162645)
Subject: RE: Aluminum floors in general

I'm disappointed no opinions have been given. I read again about all the trouble with corrosion, the hard work for repairing, and the need for what sounds like excessive maintenance. What are opinions on the trend of aluminum replacing treated wood for floors? People actually like all that maintenance and worry?
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-02-24 1:47 PM (#162680 - in reply to #162645)

Expert

Any flooring, steel, wood or aluminum has to be regularly maintained for an optimal longevity. You can ignore the flooring for a few years before anything deteriorates, or perform marginal cleaning and have it last decades. A properly maintained aluminum structure offers a minimal amount of upkeep. Like wood it should be protected with mats. Like wood it should be flushed occasionally to eliminate the effects of urine and road salts. Wood flooring can last decades, as well as aluminum. Sheet aluminum flooring is not as rigid as welded individual planks. It will stretch with age and allow pooling of fluids in the created pockets under the mats. Judiciously applied drain holes can eliminate most of these collection points. Aluminum can be surface coated which will protect it from corrosion. This greatly minimises the need for frequent mat pulling. Wood flooring does poorly with a surface coating. As it wears, it traps fluids within its cellular structure, which promotes rotting. Pressure and heat treated wood materials and modern plastics, are now common flooring construction materials. If walls and bulkheads are built over the wood flooring, it can be difficult to replace. Any welded aluminum structure is also difficult and expensive to restore. Take care of your trailer and it will last a long while. Ignore its maintenance and you can watch it deteriorate.
oldfashioned
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2015-02-24 6:22 PM (#162682 - in reply to #162645)

Thank you Gard. But I take that to mean, if buying a new aluminum floor, and to get the most longevity it is best to plan doing that major job of coating it? What is your opinion of sprinkling baking soda under mats for protection?
Will moisture from rain or carwash water under mats also cause pitting?
justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2015-02-25 8:38 AM (#162685 - in reply to #162645)

Veteran

The extrusion type of the aluminum plate will determine the installation direction as well as the floor supports the deck plate sits on. As gard stated periodic maintenance will reap benefits. The frequency depends on your horses habits, if they are wet then you may consider pulling the mats and clean more often. My trailer is a 2005 with an aluminum floor I will pull the mats and clean the floor with pressure washer and soap and let it dry before installing mats maybe 2-3 times a year. I have some discoloration but no pitting. I do bed the trailer with paper shavings and clear it out most everything time I haul. I would not suggest leaving baking soda under the mat as a preventative. My thought is it will hold the moisture.
oldfashioned
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2015-02-25 8:07 PM (#162689 - in reply to #162645)

Thanks again, but still looking for more. I heard thru the internet baking soda is a base that would neutralize acid in urine, chemically speaking. Sounds too easy, compared to coatings. What about aluminum stock trailers that have no mats. I've heard road heat transfers thru aluminum. I've googled all these questions and have yet to find a site called, all you ever wanted to know about AL floors. Can a brand new trailer have pitting from sitting in weather? Asking because of seeing black spots via photos.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-02-25 8:50 PM (#162691 - in reply to #162645)

Expert

Aluminum has a naturally occurring microscopic protective coating of oxidation, that results when in the presence of oxygen. That is why 50 year old aluminum fishing boats are still viable. The bulk of new pleasure boat sales are aluminum tubed pontoon boats, the Coast Guard depends on this material for its search and rescue craft. Until recently it was the primary material for all commercial aircraft. A twenty year old aluminum trailer can be acid washed and look almost new. The more expensive automobiles use these materials in bulk, and this is quickly becoming more of a norm in the less expensive offerings as well.I have trailers with welded planking flooring. They are extrusions with slight rails that results in gaps between the mats and the flooring. This allows any fluids to move to the rear of the trailer. One of my trailers has a sheet floor, which traps any fluid in place, and would normally acerbate any corrosion problems. During the riding season, about once a month, we roll the mats of our slant load trailers towards the left side of the floor. Usually the only wet flooring is against the curbside wall. A quick wash with a garden hose flushes any urine. The mats and floor dry overnight, and then edge of the mats are rolled back. There is no need to pull them. At the end of the season, we pull the mats and power wash everything. That is our extent of any flooring maintenance.You will find many aluminum trailers that are two decades old, and are in excellent shape. Some are being sold for a price similar to their original new prices. You can also find trailers that didn't make the first decade of age. These are the ones that were not given a modicum of maintenance. Aluminum is an excellent building material, and here in the North East, it will provide a much longer life span than the steel or bimetallic variants.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2015-02-26 6:25 AM (#162694 - in reply to #162645)

Expert

Pulling mate it not that hard I use vice grips made for welding and they work great
oldfashioned
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2015-02-26 8:20 AM (#162701 - in reply to #162645)

I appreciate all these opinions. I've had both with no problem but I resent it is now either steel/wood or al/al. I think pulling mats is hard and putting them back without dragging dirt/grit in with them is even harder. Or bake the grass under them. If a person never hauls cows they may not know about scrubbing manure off walls and floors? The crosswise ribs look impossible to get clean. And I would think the coating process would fill them in. Another thing about AL is why are the upright supports always on the inside, where steel can come either way? There is a lot of variation in the size of the uprights. Bigger is better or does one need to understand the .040's and gauges of metal? Is lighter good or more prone to damage?
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2015-02-26 9:03 PM (#162704 - in reply to #162645)

Expert

I thought that a wood floor was the only way to go until I saw a horse go though the wood floor thank god that the trailer was standing still that is when I said if I get a trailer all aluminum is the way to go
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2015-02-27 11:22 AM (#162707 - in reply to #162701)

Expert

flip the mats over when you are about to drag them back inside the trailer.
postlewaitee
Reg. Jul 2014
Posted 2015-02-27 12:10 PM (#162709 - in reply to #162645)

Veteran

I have solid rubber flooring in my trailer called Rumber. its planks of rubber laid down just like wood planks, no need for mats at all. I can just hose the trailer out and I use a broom for scrubbing stuck on manure. Its also a softer ride for the horses and has a 20 year warranty in a horse/livestock trailer if installed properly(which mine was). I would never get anything I would have to pull mats out of again!

(IMG_2462.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_2462.JPG (47KB - 187 downloads)
oldfashioned
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2015-02-27 6:42 PM (#162710 - in reply to #162645)

Flip the mats, thanks for that obvious tip. Mats used to have a top with texture and smooth bottom is my only excuse for not figuring that out. I will do that next time. Nice trailer with rumber floor and reverse slant? I've never seen either. What brand puts rumber in aluminum? I cannot see any reason for an animal to fall thru a trailer floor if a person takes responsibility for safety and maintenance. Yet, that is partly why I question Al and just how much maintenance is necessary & proper. Thanks all.
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2015-02-28 8:53 PM (#162721 - in reply to #162645)

Expert

I think it goes by how much you use it I take my mates out twice a year and clean under them
postlewaitee
Reg. Jul 2014
Posted 2015-03-02 7:04 AM (#162728 - in reply to #162645)

Veteran

My trailer is from Shetron Custom Trailers. Im not sure what other brands do the rumber flooring. and yes the slants face the opposite direction (horses get to face away from on coming traffic).And as far as up keep goes, I put shavings down and clean up after each trip, and hose out and replace shavings when needed or about once a month.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)