'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Butt bar

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-03-26 11:35 AM
2 replies, 3119 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kriskyl3
Reg. Sep 2014
Posted 2015-03-25 9:46 AM (#162983)
Subject: Butt bar

New User

We have a 2010 Blue Ribbon BP 2 horse that we bought used a couple months ago. We have hauled our pony in it several times without issue. Put my daughter's large WB in it for the first time the other day, and when I opened the ramp to unload, the butt bar was on the floor behind him. He must have sat on it, and he pulled the fastener right out of the wall. The fastener was not attached to any framing -- just attached to the aluminum side wall. Is this typical? Now I am concerned that corners were cut in other areas too, and maybe it isn't a safe or strong enough trailer. I did have it inspected by our local trailer dealer/repair shop before I bought it, and they said all was fine with it, but now I am not so sure. Is it an acceptable trailer building practice to attach something as important as the butt bar to just the siding?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2015-03-25 5:41 PM (#162989 - in reply to #162983)
Subject: RE: Butt bar

Expert

Even without the butt bar the rear doors and or ramp should hold the WB in the trailer. Ive seen flimsy butt bars and ones that you could nearly haul the trailer by, I prefer something on the flimsier end of the spectrum for safety. If a horse kicks, gets a leg over you want it to give before the horse ruins a leg. Also if a horse slips under it and stands up you want it to give and not break the back. You might look into a stronger bar attachment so the WB can sit on the bar. Heads up if he is the type that sits on the butt bar, he can (on long trips) cut of the circulation to the tail head and it can die and fall off. I've almost purchased a horse that did this very thing, so stay alert!
heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2015-03-26 11:35 AM (#162999 - in reply to #162983)
Subject: RE: Butt bar

Veteran

I want butt & chest bars that are STURDY! Came upon my neighbor at a stop sign dragging her ramp, with only thing keeping her horses from pulling back to leave trailer were the butt bars. Got her attention, and she was most grateful to be hailed to pull over. Said she was in a hurry and forgot to put ramp up! I was hauling a neighbor's horse who decided to put both front feet over the chest bar, and get his feet tangled in the hay net. If the chest bar had failed, the legs would have surely been injured.Also, I can not imagine a butt or chest failing under weight of a horse and have a clean break at point of failure. Sharp edges would surely be a concern for injury.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)