'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Is it worth repairing

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-04-12 12:51 PM
3 replies, 3572 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Davetsaub65
Reg. Apr 2015
Posted 2015-04-08 8:30 AM (#163115)
Subject: Is it worth repairing

New User

I have never owned my own horse trailer, our barn always used to transport our horses but I moved away and needed my own trailer. I am sure I made many rookie (as a new trailer owner) mistakes but when you only have a limited budget, I figured we could gradually fix the trailer over time in stead of having to put a big amount down that I just don't have. There does seem to be quite a bit of rust and we are still trying to establish if it is superficial or not (I know, should have done that before I bought it right!). I feel really stupid asking this because I have had horses my whole life, just not horse trailers :(I will try and post some photos and go from there. Trailer is a 1985 Tracer and something I have been looking a while for, tall enough for my horse with escape doors on both sides and a walk through tack room. Some people say sell it, I spent way too much money on it, some people say take my time and repair it!The floor seems really good but I was told that it would need re-enforcement in the rear where the ramp is because of the amount of rust :(Will see if I can figure out how to do the photos.Thank you
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jmey1820
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2015-04-10 3:36 PM (#163123 - in reply to #163115)
Subject: RE: Is it worth repairing

Regular

I would take it to a welding shop or someone who specializes in metal work. Have them check it out. If there is any question on the frame giving way I would scrap it and move on. I have seen what happens to horses when the floor fails and it is not a pretty site. I have also heard a tale of the bumper pull tongue breaking loose from the trailer itself that did not end well.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2015-04-12 12:25 AM (#163128 - in reply to #163115)

Expert

Originally written by Davetsaub65 on 2015-04-08 8:30 AM

I have never owned my own horse trailer, our barn always used to transport our horses but I moved away and needed my own trailer. I am sure I made many rookie (as a new trailer owner) mistakes but when you only have a limited budget, I figured we could gradually fix the trailer over time in stead of having to put a big amount down that I just don't have. There does seem to be quite a bit of rust and we are still trying to establish if it is superficial or not (I know, should have done that before I bought it right!). I feel really stupid asking this because I have had horses my whole life, just not horse trailers :(I will try and post some photos and go from there. Trailer is a 1985 Tracer and something I have been looking a while for, tall enough for my horse with escape doors on both sides and a walk through tack room. Some people say sell it, I spent way too much money on it, some people say take my time and repair it!The floor seems really good but I was told that it would need re-enforcement in the rear where the ramp is because of the amount of rust :(Will see if I can figure out how to do the photos.Thank you
If you can't weld...you might possibly discover the real cost of what serious repairs to a rusty trailer can add up to...
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-04-12 12:51 PM (#163134 - in reply to #163115)

Expert

Generally speaking, if an older steel trailer is badly rusted and worn, the purchase price and its necessary amount of repairs, may easily exceed it's restored value. As Paul stated, if you are not adept in welding, fabricating, wiring, mechanical repairs and painting, hiring these professional skills will usually make you trailer poor. Instead of searching for the least expensive "fixer upper", it's wise to buy the best trailer you can find in your price range. If you are debating a long term investment, upgrading to an all aluminum trailer will be a better value, in spite of their higher purchase costs. They will usually require less repairs and upgrades in the older models; they will need less repairs during an ownership, and they hold their resale value much better than the steel.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)