'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Buying a used trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-04-21 9:28 AM
4 replies, 4013 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ohorses
Reg. Apr 2015
Posted 2015-04-09 7:56 PM (#163122)
Subject: Buying a used trailer

New User

I am going to be in the market for a used trailer soon. I know lots of tricks to check used cars and trucks to see if there is potential problems, but this will be my first time buying a used trailer. I bought new ones before, but don't have the $$ to shell out for a new one in what I want. I hear horror stories about bad axles, barrings, and such on used ones. How do I check? What red flags should I look for? I know that the way the tires are worn is one indicator, but I don't know if I would trust a used trailer dealer not to have switched out the tires to mask a problem.
I have looked online, but all the suggestions seem to be pretty basic and not really addressing what I am after. Thanks in advance!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
akinstrailers
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2015-04-10 4:21 PM (#163124 - in reply to #163122)
Subject: RE: Buying a used trailer

Veteran

Here's a couple things we do prior to taking in trades:  Roll under the trailer and look at the cross members.  Check for any noticeable dents, scratches, etc.  Look at the axles to see if it appears they are straight or have been hit at all.  Pull mats check the floor.  Axle alignments and new bearings are fairly inexpensive.  Check seals for any voids on roof and seams.  Also check seams and joints for any black marks that would indicate movement in the structure.  If you're looking at an LQ trailer make sure and fire off all the big ticket items:  furnace, fridge, water heater, AC etc.  Look for any water stains, moisture etc.  The other option is go to a reputable dealer.  In Missouri you've got Jim's Motors and Dixie in Alabama.  Both are standup guys. 
lunaa65
Reg. Feb 2015
Posted 2015-04-10 8:04 PM (#163125 - in reply to #163122)

Clear that the auto is on level ground before looking at it. This is to guarantee that you will have the capacity to obviously check the tires and to check whether there is anything listing on the car.Check the paint employment of the auto, observing any rust spots and scratches. Take a gander along the edges of the auto from end-on for waviness; that demonstrates paint work. Run your finger along the edges of the joints between boards; harshness demonstrates deposit left from veiling tape. Deliberately check the paint occupation of the auto, observing any rust spots, marks or scratches. Take a gander along the edges of the auto from end-on for waviness; that shows paint work.
Ohorses
Reg. Apr 2015
Posted 2015-04-11 8:10 AM (#163127 - in reply to #163125)

New User

Thanks akinstrailers! That is helpful and I am pretty close to Jim' Motors so will be looking there, too.

Originally written by lunaa65 on 2015-04-10 10:04 PM

Clear that the auto is on level ground before looking at it. This is to guarantee that you will have the capacity to obviously check the tires and to check whether there is anything listing on the car.Check the paint employment of the auto, observing any rust spots and scratches. Take a gander along the edges of the auto from end-on for waviness; that demonstrates paint work. Run your finger along the edges of the joints between boards; harshness demonstrates deposit left from veiling tape. Deliberately check the paint occupation of the auto, observing any rust spots, marks or scratches. Take a gander along the edges of the auto from end-on for waviness; that shows paint work.

Sorry Lunaa65 but I have not clue what you are saying here. I am asking about trailers not an auto.
lusymare
Reg. Apr 2015
Posted 2015-04-21 9:28 AM (#163211 - in reply to #163122)

New User

I painted a bright color stripe down the center of the truck bed, I can see the stripe out the rear window of the truck but not the ball. I installed a convex mirror on the front of the trailer so I can see the ball. Works for me.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)