'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Under trucked?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-04-12 10:07 AM
1 replies, 2725 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Neil
Reg. Apr 2015
Posted 2015-04-12 7:49 AM (#163129)
Subject: Under trucked?

New User

Good morning,Long story short.... I traded in my mechanically sound F250 as it was a rear wheel drive and that made me nervous in the winter. I traded it in for a used 1 ton truck from a dealer. It turned out to be a huge lemon. I spent thousands on repairs. Then the transmission went so I filed a complaint with the automotive governing body for dealers. He ended up offering me mechanically sound Chevrolet 1500 (1998) with a GVWR of 6900lbs. The automotive body said I could take it or go the civil court route. I took the truck. My horse trailer is a Sundowner 2 horse. Dry weight is 3500 lbs. GVWR is 8050 lbs. I have two average sizes quarter horse and Arab geldings. Probably 1200 lbs max each. So hauling those two I will be hauling a weight of about 5900 lbs which is still within the GVWR range of the truck. I still don't like it at all but this is what I am stuck with until I save up to buy another bigger truck. I haul on flat ground only and for distances under twenty miles just to the local provincial park for trail riding. Does this seem unsafe? Would a weight distribution hitch and away bars improve the situation? I really hate the thought of hauling horses with a half ton but I wonder if this is acceptable providing I don't start hauling huge horses and subsequently increase the GVWR beyond my truck's GVWR of 6900 lbs.Any advice is appreciated.Thank you,Neilsrc=HTTP://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/emoticons/icon_t1.gif border=0>
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2015-04-12 10:07 AM (#163132 - in reply to #163129)
Subject: RE: Under trucked?

Expert

Just make sure your trailer brakes are working whenever you haul with it...
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)