'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How much truck do I need?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-04-22 8:27 AM
2 replies, 3132 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

heritagelanefarm
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2015-04-16 4:34 AM (#163173)
Subject: How much truck do I need?

Veteran

On way to event this past weekend, got a call from friend who was stranded with steel 4 horse stock trailer (2 horses aboard & lots of stuff) along a busy 4 lane.All but 2 of truck's right front wheel lug nuts sheered off. A friend was taking our horses to the event, so we were able hook up trailer and be on our way. BUT, the plug did not fit my trailer. So, I was running without lights, turn signals and BRAKES.I can tell you I had some piece of mind knowing my 350 diesel would get us the last 10 miles using common sense and the big truck's brakes. While I just have a 2 horse steel GN, and am tempted at times to get a "lesser" tow vehicle, this weekend sealed the deal for keeping it big!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2015-04-16 9:14 PM (#163179 - in reply to #163173)
Subject: RE: How much truck do I need?

Extreme Veteran

I agree with you 100% heritagelane, but in this day and age more people seem to be asking, "How little can I get away with", not "What is safest to tow with"!I think I will stick to my one ton as well and have better chances of keeping my horses, myself and others as safe as possible when I go down the road. I fully understand that accidents can and will happen, but I want to know that I did everything in my power to prevent them if possible!
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2015-04-22 8:27 AM (#163220 - in reply to #163173)
Subject: RE: How much truck do I need?

Extreme Veteran

Wow both of you are so right, and its so refreshing to read this. Having been in a bad no fault wreck totaling a truck and heavy LQ trailer, I can relate. My truck has an exhaust brake and that sure is a nice back up if you loose your trailer brakes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)