'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
how to remove old roof caulk & prep aluminum roof to re-seal seams

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-07-11 8:10 AM
16 replies, 13047 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2015-05-07 9:48 AM (#163356)
Subject: how to remove old roof caulk & prep aluminum roof to re-seal seams

Regular

When I bought my (used) trailer I discovered that the roof leaked so I brought it to a local trailer dealer and their "fix" was to apply another layer of caulk. Needless to say it still leaks.I began removing the old caulk last fall and ran out of time/weather before I could finish the job. From the methods I was using (a metal scraper) the process of removing all the old caulk is likely to take days, if my hands last that long as I was getting sores from the pressure I needed to use on the scraper, as some of the caulk is still fairly fresh - not all of it is dried out.I plan to use Eternabond tape over the seams once the surface is properly prepped. I got the tape in a 6" width to be sure I'd cover the seam and have enough contact on each side to have a secure seal.Any ideas on a faster, easier and more effective way I can remove all the old caulk? How do I go about properly cleaning the aluminum surfaces on either side of the seam to accept the tape?Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2015-05-07 8:26 PM (#163360 - in reply to #163356)
Subject: RE: how to remove old roof caulk & prep aluminum roof to re-seal seams

Expert

I used a product called KOOLSEAL from WalMart. Goes on like paint and fill cracks really well and seals everything. Only thing I did with the old caulk was peel off the lose stuff first.Even help insulate the inside too. Our trailer is 30 hitch to bumper and I used just over 3 gallons on mine. I went around all seams, edges and everything that had caulk on it with a paint brush first really heavy then did the complete roof with a roller. Worked great!
northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2015-05-13 6:26 PM (#163417 - in reply to #163356)

Regular

I now have all the old caulk removed and understand that I should use something like Toluene to prep the surface - this is an aluminum roof on an aluminum trailer. My questions -When using Toluene or a similar solvent to remove any leftover caulking do I need to be careful that this will not also remove the white paint on the sides of the trailer?Is it advisable to go over each roof bolt to be sure they are all fully tightened before sealing?I've been re-thinking the idea of using tape and very much like the idea of the elastomeric coating, for several reasons. 1) It can be re-coated in the future when needed (v.s. having to strip off old tape when it degrades) 2) The roof becomes white and therefore cooler for the interior, v.s. the bare aluminum it is now.So is the elastomeric coating easy to apply, and I know this would vary by region, but what are my costs likely to be for this? I have a 3H bumper pull, so the trailer is about 18' long. Thanks!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-05-13 9:32 PM (#163418 - in reply to #163356)

Expert

5 gals of Elastomeric products will typically sell for < $100, some as low as $85-90. The more expensive products will have a longer warranty, and usually provide better coverage with each coat. You will be able to apply at least three coats on your trailer with the five gallons, and have some left over for other projects. It is very easy to apply with a large brush and a standard, long napped paint roller. If your trailer has a LQ, the brush is handy for all the roof penetration seams. If it has a DR, the roller will make an easy and quick coating very possible. You might want to use a masking tape on the roof to sidewall seam. It dries quickly and you will be able to recoat in the same day.
northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2015-05-20 7:28 AM (#163472 - in reply to #163418)

Regular

When I said I had all the old caulk removed I had spoken too soon! I had all the old caulk removed from the edges, but not around the roof vents. I've done as much as I can with my scraper and there's still a fair amount that I cannot remove - this stuff is like cement! It's quite dry but not flaky dry and firmly adhered to the aluminum. What are my options to clean this stuff off? Can I use a power sander, or just lots of the Toluene? I'd prefer to minimize using the Toluene if possible, yet I know that I need to get this clean in order for the elastomeric coating to seal well. I'll try to post a couple of pix if I can.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-05-20 7:42 AM (#163474 - in reply to #163356)

Expert

An electric drill fitted with a bronze circular brush wheel works well without damaging the aluminum like steel wheels can. If the original caulking is firmly affixed, is flexible and isn't breaking apart or easily removed, the Elastomeric can be applied to its surface. Be sure to apply the new product beyond the original caulking's footprint to afford the best adhesion.
northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2015-05-25 8:12 PM (#163539 - in reply to #163356)

Regular

Where do I find the bronze wire wheel brush? I checked with the salesperson at Home Depot where I bought the elastomeric paint and they didn't have it.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-05-25 9:39 PM (#163542 - in reply to #163356)

Expert

Try Walmart, hardware stores
northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2015-05-28 7:52 PM (#163568 - in reply to #163356)

Regular

Thanks - got the bronze wire brush, that job was completed yesterday just before the rain began... again! Weather has not been my friend in this project! Tomorrow looks good.Is it a good idea to caulk the seams before coating with the elastomeric paint?I need to use the trailer for a trip on Saturday, so tomorrow is my only painting day for a couple of weeks. How many coats would I need to apply for water resistancy? How do I tell when the first coat is dry enough to apply a second coat? I'll be walking on the roof while painting so that's a factor too.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-05-28 9:20 PM (#163569 - in reply to #163356)

Expert

You want to apply enough coats to completely seal any seams. A wide crack should be reinforced with the mesh in the initial coating. Usually two coats are enough, three will add to its longevity and ensure a quality coating. The Elastomeric coatings dry quickly, if it's a warm sunny day, three coats can be completed in one day. You can feel it when it is drying. If the product transfers to your finger, it's not dry enough to walk on. Two to three hours are all I've needed before adding additional coats. If the coating is not being displaced with your fingers, it will be dry enough to recoat. It will actually continue to cure during the next few days after its application. If it become damaged, it can be spot repaired. I think you will be pleased with the final results and ease of application.
northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2015-05-29 6:16 AM (#163570 - in reply to #163356)

Regular

There are no cracks other than the seams around the edges and the bottom of the flanges around the roof vents. Should those seams be caulked prior to painting? Also the back edge of the roof looks like it will need to be caulked as the sheet aluminum goes right to the back edge of the trailer, so there's no curved wall meeting the roof there.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-05-29 8:03 AM (#163573 - in reply to #163356)

Expert

A tight seam will not have to be caulked. The Elastomeric products have a high degree of elasticity without failure. As long as the final coating completely covers the seam, that is all the coating that is necessary for weather proofing the roof. The coating will replace the caulking. It's much easier and less expensive to apply the Elastomeric with a brush or roller, than to caulk each seam or protrusion on the roof. Seams and edges can be made more professional looking, if they are predetermined with masking tape. Remove the tape after the product is applied but before the coating dries, usually within the first hour.
northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2015-05-30 3:45 AM (#163588 - in reply to #163356)

Regular

Thanks! I did get 2 coats applied yesterday and it does look great! I noticed on the bucket of paint that it says to not apply within 48 to 72 hours of rain. I didn't have a choice for when to apply it and yesterday was a beautiful sunny low humidity day here. My destination tonight has 60-70% chance of t-storms, I'm hoping that the coating won't soften up or start washing away? That would be about 24 hours after the second coat was finished. I could cover it w/a tarp if I really need to.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-05-30 7:50 AM (#163591 - in reply to #163356)

Expert

You won't need to cover it, the coating will have cured enough to protect it from the rain.
northernmom
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2015-07-10 8:21 AM (#164007 - in reply to #163356)

Regular

It's been 6 weeks since I painted the first 2 coats. At first everything was OK but now the trailer is leaking again - same places as before. Looking closely I can see some places where there must have been an air bubble as there is a very small hole in the paint at the seam. More importantly it appears that the paint along the front edge has a crack running along the seam. I did apply the paint a little thicker along the seams as I wanted to be sure to completely cover and seal them. I know I need to apply more coats as the entire roof, while white it is still translucent to the base metal and not as solid white as I'd like it to be. Do I just apply more coats of paint, or should I apply some kind of sealant tape along the seams? Is it too late to apply tape now as it would go over the first 2 coats of paint? TIA!
kooner
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2015-07-10 8:57 AM (#164008 - in reply to #163356)

Extreme Veteran

just a thought , if the trailer is not sitting level the leak may be up hill so to speak as to where you think it might be, I had this happen years ago.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-07-11 8:10 AM (#164016 - in reply to #163356)

Expert

More coatings can be added to the first. Usually only two coatings are needed if the product is of quality.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)