'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Fenner landing gear problem

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-08-27 7:36 AM
2 replies, 3301 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

quister
Reg. Aug 2015
Posted 2015-08-20 7:01 AM (#164508)
Subject: Fenner landing gear problem

New User

I own a 1996 Featherlite trailer with a Fenner Fluid Power 1787 hydraulic landing gear unit. The unit will not extend the hydraulic ram to raise the trailer up. It will retract it, however, to lower the trailer. I checked the hand-held remote unit to see if that was a problem and it appears not to be. I'm looking for help to troubleshoot this unit. Could it simply be a solenoid problem? Do any of you have any experience with this unit?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
quister
Reg. Aug 2015
Posted 2015-08-26 2:37 PM (#164542 - in reply to #164508)
Subject: RE: Fenner landing gear problem

New User

It appears I received no replies to this post, although someone "messaged" me with some ideas that I appreciate. After a week of troubleshooting this problem I think I have it solved and would like to share the outcome with any of you who might benefit from it down the road. First of all this Fenner hydraulic unit seems pretty common but Fenner has been bought by Stone SPX and the units and parts are readily available through Stone's distributors. These units seem to be very popular with the snowplow folks now. It appears horse trailer manufacturers don't use them much anymore. My trailer is a 1996. I guess twenty years ago they did. Several people gave me the advice to check my batteries' strength. They seem to be the first suspect when these units aren't working correctly because the DC motor puts quite a load on the batteries. I was given the advice to directly "jump" the trailer's battteries to a running vehicle to see if that would help power up the unit. I did not try that because my two RV/Marine batteries were five years old going on six so I decided to replace them anyway. That did not resolve the problem so I looked at the handheld remote (again) and came to the conclusion it's contacts inside were not functioning properly (I assume it was twenty years old too). I found a replacement remote on the Surplus Center web site for $45. There are several models available. I needed the KG 12 model made by Stone SPX. I am confidant this was the problem because I could simulate the missing contact by using the handheld remote along with a small jump wire with alligator clips that provided contact between the starter solenoid and the solenoid coil that the handheld remote was not providing. The wiring diagram for the new KG 12 clearly shows that needed three-way contact that my old remote no longer provided while pressing the button that extends the ram and raises the trailer up. One parting word about these forums. These are such a useful and important source of information for all of us. I really enjoy reading other people's issues and problems (many times we have similar issues) and the wonderful and clear advice from the guys that have a thorough knowledge of the subject matter and are so generous with their time, advice and patience to help us work through the problems. We all have experience with the pitiful state of local service technicians these days and are often left on our own to try to resolve many of these mechanical issues. I called two Featherlite dealers in my area and no one even called me back. These forums are an important resource. Thank you.
justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2015-08-27 7:36 AM (#164549 - in reply to #164508)
Subject: RE: Fenner landing gear problem

Veteran

Happy you posted the remedy for the problem. Welcome to the forum and agree the sharing of knowledge is well worth the time to help out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)