'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Replacing trailer wiring

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-09-01 4:02 PM
4 replies, 5187 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

AppyRider
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2015-08-27 4:18 PM (#164557)
Subject: Replacing trailer wiring

Hi! I would like to replace ALL the old cracked wiring in my 1989 CJ 2H, currently R-side lights are out. It’s a well maintained trailer with some cosmetic rust. I love the solid feel and tracking of this trailer, gives a steady ride, divider swings into a slant for my one horse, it’s worth spending the money to replace wiring. I'm wondering how difficult a job would it be? how much wire would it take? How many hours roughly for a trailer repair guy? Thank you for any info!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-08-27 8:06 PM (#164558 - in reply to #164557)
Subject: RE: Replacing trailer wiring

Expert

The time involved will depend upon the access to the wiring chases. If it has an open interior as with a stock trailer or one without a LQ interior, it is much easier to effect repairs. The easiest way is to remove the wiring from the light assys, tie and tape a new wire to the end and pull the wiring to the source. This will remove the old wiring and install the new at the same time. It is advantageous to replace the lights with new LED variants, if you plan on continuing your ownership. The cost will vary greatly depending upon you trailer's interior configuration, your lighting upgrades and the shop charges involved. The wiring is quite simple to understand and replace, take many notes and photographs, and make it an inexpensive DIY project.
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2015-08-27 8:15 PM (#164559 - in reply to #164557)

Veteran

For me, this would be an all day project, but being semi-retired I don't get in a rush. I would guess a trailer guy would be able to do this in about 4 hours. You may also want to consider replacing all of your lights with LED fixtures (tail lights, clearance lights and spot light(s) if you have them). It should be quicker to junk the old lights and install new LED's than trying to wire in the old ones. LED lights can be purchased economically online or from automotive stores. Just a thought since you obviously love your trailer :)
AppyRider
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2015-08-28 12:11 AM (#164560 - in reply to #164557)

Thanks for the advice! I'll plan half a day of his time, he does mobile work since the trailer place he worked for closed, so no shop or big inventory of parts, I'm sure he or I can get the parts ahead of time. I can see a lot of the wiring inside and underneath so maybe not too hard to tell where it goes in and comes out. Replacing the lights with LED makes good sense. Thanks!
AppyRider
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2015-09-01 4:02 PM (#164589 - in reply to #164557)

Update. My fabulous mobile repairman said my trailer wiring was actually ok, the problem was that the trailer has only 12V, and even a small amount of corrosion will hamper the current enough, or interfere with the grounding enough, to cause a problem. He cleaned out rear lights and put new screws through the ring housing things to create a new ground, problem gone. Yeah!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)