'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Breaking in my new diesel, rules?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-09-01 6:00 PM
3 replies, 3190 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2015-08-31 3:16 PM (#164579)
Subject: Breaking in my new diesel, rules?

Expert

OK, I've gone and done it and the new truck gets here Friday. My last diesel was the legendary 7.3L Powerstroke, this one is the 2015 6.7L Ford diesel engine. Back when I bought my last one it seems to me there were "rules" about breaking the engine in like not using the cruise control during the first so-many miles so it wouldn't burn in a sweet spot (or something like that.) Is there any advice on the new ones? Any helpful tips for a former diesel owner that has changed in the last 8 years or so? I remember when you changed the oil every 3,000 miles even when they moved the interval up to 5,000 miles...Gosh I'm getting old but now I can afford my toys!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-09-01 6:40 AM (#164583 - in reply to #164579)
Subject: RE: Breaking in my new diesel, rules?

Expert

The owner's manual will describe the first operational mileage for your new truck. Our initial usage was restricted from pulling trailers for a time, until a certain amount of mileage was achieved. ( can't remember the exact amount) After the first oil change, we switched to synthetic oil and have run it ever since. Once the warranty period expired, we extended the oil change intervals to 7500-10K miles whilst using the synthetic products. Having owned a diesel, you're aware of the heat soaking after long pulls, and the necessary cool down cycles following hard usages. I was taught this basic rule many years ago and it's still apropos today, especially with the proliferation of turbo installations. "Don't run a diesel when its cold, don't put it away hot." Enjoy your new truck and all the improvements the new models offer.
justgurn
Reg. Oct 2010
Posted 2015-09-01 7:03 AM (#164585 - in reply to #164579)

Veteran

This is what I did with my 2012 6.7, not sure if it matches the owner's manual or not. I put a few hundred miles on it before dragging the trailer. I varied the speed +/-5 while pulling for the first trip. After that, I drive it like I stole it. I do know that it has beak in oil and it needs to be run it entire period or the engine will tick like a type writer. Now for some advice, I have been told by several and now passing along to you. Only use Motorcraft filters. Ford has not released the patents so the aftermarket are not the same. They will fit and filter, but they do not provide the same back pressure for or hold the pressure on the fuel system. Ford will not tell you that you cannot use them.
301duster
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2015-09-01 6:00 PM (#164590 - in reply to #164579)

Veteran

13 6.7 had 10 miles on it when we hooked about 16,000# of 4h LQ on it. Has 60k on it of which 57k were pulling that trailer. Cool feature that comes with the truck, or at least ours, is you can track your trailer pulling mileage in the info center. Serviced every 5k by Ford. So far it's been great! Breakin was normal driving with trailer to answer your question. Idling these new trucks is not a good idea in my opinion. We limit idle to a minute or less when possible. Just my opinion.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)