'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Slide out

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-09-02 5:25 PM
5 replies, 4351 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

futuretraveler
Reg. Sep 2015
Posted 2015-09-01 2:02 PM (#164586)
Subject: Slide out

New User

Hi everyone,So I have pulled a bumper pull all life. I am looking into buying a trailer with a living quarters and I was wondering about the slide out. Does the slide out really add a noticeable amount of space? Is having a slide out worth investing in? Thoughts on your trailers with and without is much appreciated! Thank you so much!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2015-09-02 4:00 AM (#164592 - in reply to #164586)
Subject: RE: Slide out

Regular

We don't have a slide out, but it's on our list of features for our next trailer. We currently have 7 foot wide living quarters. This was a great upgrade from the trailer we had before. We were tired of roughing it and having a fridge, shower and bathroom seemed like luxery, not to mention heat and air conditioning. We've learned to manuever around each other in the narrow isle, but the quarters seem to get tighter by the day when camping for a week or more. We recently were invited to dinner with a couple who had a small non-horse camper with a slide out. We were amazed how easily two couples could move around in the space that the slide out created. We will probably go with an 8 foot wide trailer next time, simply for the additional room that gives our horses. But we'll also choose a slide out for the additional room it gives us. If we have to save another year or so to make up the difference in price, then we'll wait to make the purchase because we believe we'd feel less than satisfied without the slide out.
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2015-09-02 7:16 AM (#164593 - in reply to #164586)

Elite Veteran

There are pros and cons of having a slideout... Pro: you can get a shorter LQ, add a slide and have a lot more space. Con: You may have issues opening and closing on unlevel ground. If you are a trailrider, and camp in the boonies, I would not have a slideout.. (we have helped people manually crank theirs back in when they've had problems)We have a giant LQ and pull it with a small KW road tractor for power/braking power...but you must consider what your needs are. Stay with budget and comfort.
postlewaitee
Reg. Jul 2014
Posted 2015-09-02 9:01 AM (#164594 - in reply to #164586)

Veteran

this is just my opinion, a slide out is just one more thing that can break and its a big headache if it does. cant use on unlevel ground, seals can leak, slide motor can malfunction, adds weight, etc. i personally would never get a slide out in a horse trailer.
hornet
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2015-09-02 9:40 AM (#164596 - in reply to #164586)

Extreme Veteran

Ours has a 12' slide and we love it. If the ground is so unlevel to prevent opening the slide, nothing else in the camper is going to work properly either; fridge won't work, plumbing won't drain right.
CYA Ranch
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2015-09-02 5:25 PM (#164601 - in reply to #164596)

Originally written by hornet on 2015-09-02 9:40 AM

Ours has a 12' slide and we love it. If the ground is so unlevel to prevent opening the slide, nothing else in the camper is going to work properly either; fridge won't work, plumbing won't drain right.

I agree with this. We have a 12' slide in our trailer. It 8' wide trailer with 14' shortwall. Gives lots of extra room. I won't buy another trailer without a slide. My trailer is 9 years old and I live on 3 miles of gravel roads. Never had a problem with seals, motors, leaking. Took it in a couple years ago thinking it must need adjusting and the dealership said it was perfect. I hate being in a trailer that isn't level so I always level mine.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)