'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse trailer tires

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-10-05 11:14 PM
11 replies, 7084 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

kpritch
Reg. Sep 2015
Posted 2015-09-16 12:31 PM (#164719)
Subject: Horse trailer tires

New User

Hi! I am buying a Bee trailer with a GVWR of 14,000 and p235 X 16 Rim size 16" and PSI cold 80lbs. I am hauling all over the country and would like the most reliable tires that are probably rated to 15,000 lbs. That being said I have never bought tires for a tire so PLEASE feel free to educate me. Thanks so much!~Katie
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-09-16 2:07 PM (#164720 - in reply to #164719)
Subject: RE: Horse trailer tires

Expert

If you purchase a light truck "E" range tire, you will have aprox ~3500 lbs of capacity per tire. This will give you a total capacity of aprox ~14,000 lbs. Assuming the trailer will be a goose neck, the truck will be carrying part of the trailer's weight, somewhere around 20% or more. This will reduce the load on the trailer's axles, meeting your max payload of 15,000. Because you will be hauling close to your maximum capacity, you will have to be aware of your speeds and tire pressures. It will be very easy for the tires to become over heated and fail. Several of our members have up graded their trailers with oversize wheels and tires, and experienced much better reliability, with their heavier trailers. Perform a SEARCH under "trailer tires" for the last year for their info.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2015-09-16 2:18 PM (#164721 - in reply to #164719)

Elite Veteran

Your Bee is in all liklihood rated at 14,000 GVWR because it has two 7,000# axles. Go and weigh the trailer fully loaded before you assume it will be 15,000# loaded. The 7K axle is common. And you may never see that much actual weight.

A LT235/85R16 Load Range "E" tire is rated at 3,042# at 80 PSI. The same tire in a "G" which carries 110 PSI is rated at 3,750#. But look closely, as many whells are only rated for the 80 PSI.

The "E" tire is great, provided you aren't overloading. If you need the weight capacity, the "G" works well. And as Gard said, you can step up to 17.5 or 19" wheels/tires. But I've seldom seen a Bee large enough to be in that category.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2015-09-16 3:03 PM (#164722 - in reply to #164719)

Expert

The plus of going with E rated tires are they become the weak link failure point rather than the trailer axle...:)
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2015-09-17 1:35 PM (#164726 - in reply to #164719)

Elite Veteran

The most efficient decision will be based on actual trailer weight. No need to over tire if the actual weights just aren't there. Those Goodyear G-614s are great, but a lot more money.

So- go weight the trailer and then decide.
ChopRod
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2015-09-28 10:49 AM (#164841 - in reply to #164719)

TIRERACK.COM says:
There are differences in the driving requirements between the tires on your trailer and those on the car or light truck you use to tow it. Therefore, there are distinct differences between the way trailer tires and tow vehicle tires are engineered.

Your tow vehicle is a leader, which means traction is a key focus in the design of its tires. Traction allows your tow vehicle to accelerate down the road, turn around the corner and brake to a stop. Another important consideration is tow vehicle tires are designed for ride comfort, which is achieved in part by allowing their sidewalls to flex.

Your trailer is a follower, which often makes tire sidewall flexing a negative. Sidewall flexing on trailers, especially those with a high center of gravity (enclosed/travel trailers) or that carry heavy loads, is a primary cause of trailer sway. Typical passenger radial tires with flexible sidewalls can accentuate trailer sway problems. The stiffer sidewalls and higher operating pressures common with Special Trailer (ST) designated tires help reduce trailer sway.

"Trailers will be more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use. Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires."

Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.

However when P-metric or Euro-metric tires are used on a trailer, the load capacity branded on the sidewalls must be reduced by 9%. This means P-metric or Euro-metric tires with a maximum branded load rating of 1,874 lbs. for use on a car is only rated to carry 1,705 lbs. when used on a trailer.

Comparing the load capacities of a pair of tires of the same dimensions fitted to a single axle trailer, ST225/75R15 Load Range C-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 50 psi provide 4,300 lbs. of load capacity, where P225/75R15 Standard Load-sized tires inflated to their maximum of 35 psi would be limited to 3,410 lbs. of load capacity, a total reduction of 890 pounds.

Trailers will be more stable and pull better on tires designed specifically for trailer use. Since Special Trailer (ST) tires are constructed with heavier duty materials, they are tougher than typical passenger vehicle tires. This is a plus because trailer suspension systems are generally stiffer and less sophisticated than automotive suspension systems.

Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings
Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel's maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
ChopRod
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2015-09-28 10:53 AM (#164842 - in reply to #164719)

Here's another place to find valuable information:https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CE8QFjALahUKEwiJnsqMiZrIAhXEF5IKHcwUBLs&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carlisletransportationproducts.com%2Fcms_files%2Foriginal%2FTrailer_Tires__Tips_Best_Practices.pdf&usg=AFQjCNHUeugexVLn0nBahY8syrhWM7SBIQ
ChopRod
Reg. Oct 2013
Posted 2015-09-28 11:00 AM (#164844 - in reply to #164719)

From Carlisle.com Review - Practices for Safe Trailer Tire Use– Select the correct tires to match the application andcapacity requirements.– Never use passenger car or truck tires for trailer use.– Do not overload trailer tires, maximum loads are listed on thesidewall of the tire.– Maintain air pressure at the maximum PSI recommended on thetire sidewall.– Check tire pressure when tires are cold and in the shade.– Use a cap on valve stems to prevent contamination of the internalrubber valve.– Always travel with a spare and check the spare air pressure alongwith the other tires.– Perform a visual inspection of trailer tires before each trip,inspecting for cuts, bulges, punctures or signs of anything unusual.– Inspect trailer wheels. If rims are bent or cracked, replacement orrepair may be necessary.– Keep trailer tires in a cool dry place and out of direct sunlightduring storage.– Use tire covers to protect tires from the harsh effects of directsunlight, moisture and temperature extremes.– During extended storage, use a thin piece of wood or other surfacebarrier under tires to extend tire life. For seasonal or extreme longterm storage, elevate the trailer on blocks to take the weight off thetires. Reduce the air pressure and cover the tires to protect themfrom direct sunlight.– Replace trailer tires every three to five years.– If you experience a series of successive blowouts, something iswrong with your setup, it is not a tire problem.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2015-09-30 2:35 PM (#164899 - in reply to #164719)

Expert

Finding this very interesting...as I'm about to buy an Elite trailer and they come with LT tires. Does this premium brand know something we users don't? Why would Elite put LT tires on their trailers if they aren't the best?
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2015-10-03 5:50 AM (#164937 - in reply to #164719)

Veteran

I cannot counterpoint why ST are inferior to LT tires as I am not a tire manufacture. All I can say is what I have been told by family and friends who all have been Goodyear Truck Tire retailer and one who owned a Goodyear Auto Service Center. Both say the same thing!ST tires do nothing better than LT tire except resist UV radiation.From my personal experience I can say of all the tire failures I have experienced have all been ST tires in the summer on asphalt. I have experienced no such failures since changing to LT tires. Now for the first time I am having to worry about dry rot my tires have lasted so long. I do keep my trailer axles in alignment, another cause of tire overheating and wear.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2015-10-03 6:17 PM (#164947 - in reply to #164719)

Expert

For most horse trailer users...their tires will dry rot LONG before the tread wears down due to the limited use, which is one reason ST are manufactured to resist UV...one of the major problems with ST tire failures is due to excess speed and improperly inflated tires (UNDER inflated)
HOUSE
Reg. Oct 2008
Posted 2015-10-05 11:14 PM (#164975 - in reply to #164719)
Subject: Horse trailer tires

Veteran

Ok this is just my opinion, never buy 16" ST tires, they are all chinese junk now. the one exception is G rated tires, even then my advice would be to 17.5 tires, they are soo much better than 16" g rated tires and they are almost the same cost and much easier to come by. by LT E rated tires from a brand you have heard of BFG, goodyear, firestone etc and you will be much happier.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)