'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Kool Seal, Eternabond tape, caulking, painting ... questions ....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-11-11 3:10 AM
2 replies, 5041 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horseygirlFL
Reg. May 2012
Posted 2015-11-10 11:36 AM (#165338)
Subject: Kool Seal, Eternabond tape, caulking, painting ... questions ....

I picked up a gallon of KoolSeal from Walmart and intend to use it on the top of my 2 horse trailer to ensure that it wont leak (because it leaks now) and that it will help keep the trailer cooler. I have questions though ...1. Can I (should I) paint and/or primer the area prior to applying the KoolSeal? I'm under the impression KoolSeal is somewhat transparent when dry and right now the roof needs to be painted because it's in three shads of gray primer and looks like hell in a hand basket.2. Can I (should I) use some of that eternabond tape over the seams in lieu of the caulk and under the KoolSeal application? Is it okay to paint/primer before doing that? Is that even possible or advisable?3. I plan to use OSPHO below the primer when I repaint the trailer (which I'll be doing before I put the Kool Seal on) will the Kool Seal or the tape (if I use it) have any issues with the use of the OSPHO?4. Would it be better if I use white primer on the roof instead of gray like I plan to with the rest of the trailer and then just put the Kool Seal or tape and tape (whatever) on top of that? Thank you in advance for your help
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-11-10 11:32 PM (#165341 - in reply to #165338)
Subject: RE: Kool Seal, Eternabond tape, caulking, painting ... questions ....

Expert

The trailer's roof has to be clean and dry for the elastomeric coating to properly adhere. Any loose caulking or present coatings should be removed. If you have a random orbit sander, sanding with a 150 grit paper will quickly prepare the surface for a coating. Vacuum the area and tack the surface until all the sanding affects are removed. Some manufacturers specify the use of a primer paint when applying the coating, others do not. Follow their recommendations and instructions. If your trailer has a steel roof, an application of OSPHO will ensure that any present rust is first converted, so as to avoid any future coating failures caused by oxidation. The OSPHO will also act as a primer. Make sure to let it completely dry which can some times take overnightElastomeric coatings are somewhat lucid, but after a second or third coating is applied, it will be quite white and able to cover most colours. The coating is capable of covering cracks over a quarter of an inch in width, so most precaulkings are unnecessary. If you have a wide seam or fairing to seal, a mesh fabric is sold that will bridge the gaps when the coating is first applied.
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2015-11-11 3:10 AM (#165342 - in reply to #165338)
Subject: RE: Kool Seal, Eternabond tape, caulking, painting ... questions ....

Expert

What he said...:)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World