'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
electric converter wiring

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-01-25 9:25 PM
1 replies, 2728 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

horsenhamr
Reg. Jan 2016
Posted 2016-01-24 10:59 AM (#165934)
Subject: electric converter wiring

New User

I purchased a converter from a salvaged rv, and plan to use it in our lq. our trailer already has ac and dc but are two seperate systems. I understand most of installing the converter, but do have a couple questions.. 1. at the battery there is usually a small metal box with two post for the hot wire,,, realy? circuit breaker? do I need one of these and if so what do I need to ask for.. what do they do 2. sometimes I see a battery disconnect switch, do I need one? when do I use it and why.. my trailer plug has the 12 volt wire from truck battery going to trailer battery, to recharge it I assume.. any convern of backfeeding if the truck is still hooked up when plugged into ac power for trailer? thanks

(converter1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments converter1.jpg (95KB - 48 downloads)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
beeoerdog
Reg. Jan 2014
Posted 2016-01-25 9:25 PM (#165946 - in reply to #165934)
Subject: converter

Extreme Veteran

Yes, it is a circuit breaker, and you do need it to protect the 12v wiring. It is called a rv circuit breaker....check ebay or amazon for specs. Prevents too much current from flowing through a too small wire. Don't really need a disconnect switch, but they are convenient when working on system. Truck battery will supply 12v to trailer but not in large quantities...that is what the converter is supposed to do as well as charge the trailer battery.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)