'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
custom ordering- Merhow?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-05-03 12:41 AM
6 replies, 4192 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Milo3
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2016-03-15 11:33 PM (#166438)
Subject: custom ordering- Merhow?

Hi all,The time has come for me to buy my first LQ trailer. Of course, the dealer did not have what I wanted, and when he called the headquarters, they did not have any either, so I must custom order. It will be for a basic 3 horse gooseneck slant with 8 ft LQ, 7 ft wide, power awning, hydraulic jack with stud divider and escape door. Nothing special as far as "custom."My main question is this: has anyone else ordered a basic trailer (from Merhow or anywhere else)? And did you get it in a timely manner? I was told 7-8 weeks by my dealer, but I have read on here how some people custom ordered from Merhow and the trailer wasn't as they specified (they didn't mention time frame, just what was ordered isn't what they were delivered). I am hoping, since I'm not asking for anything out of the ordinary, that this won't happen to me. I will be irritated if I don't get it at the time promised and then the busiest part of show season will be over with , leaving me with a trailer payment on a trailer I haven't even been able to enjoy and camp in lol. My budget is under $35k, so I am tempted to go look at Lakotas and Shadows as well because I know some dealers have something similar in stock, even though I know Merhows have been around longer and are better made from what I have researched. Any advice?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tirebiter
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2016-03-16 10:20 AM (#166442 - in reply to #166438)
Subject: RE: custom ordering- Merhow?

Regular

Hi. I would suggest you call the Manufacturer direct and let them know when you want/need your trailer. I purchased a Merhow 2-horse from them directly back in 1998 and believe they would work hard to help you meet your goal. Don't be shy, give them a call!
I have also custom-ordered a trailer before and it took a couple of months before we got delivery on it, but that was a Sundowner and it came out of Oklahoma ( i believe).
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-03-16 6:34 PM (#166448 - in reply to #166438)

Expert

I agree on calling them. If you custom order (I just did from Elite) you will have to sign off on the build sheet. That forms a contract for them to make that exact trailer and you to then buy it upon delivery. If someone took delivery of a trailer that wasn't what they ordered that's on them. They should have pointed back to the build sheet and tell the dealer to start again! Read your build sheet and trailer diagram carefully as that's exactly what should come from the factory, without question. Build time can vary so you'll have little control over that I'm afraid and they usually won't give you a guaranteed delivered by date on the build sheet. You could very well end up with a trailer that sits all winter before you get to use it like you want. If you need something now and in your budget just plan on driving a little and shop used. You are bound to find hundreds on this site alone...
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2016-03-17 7:53 AM (#166452 - in reply to #166438)

Elite Veteran

If they want your business, they should be able to give a guaranteed date and hit it. I have done so in some orders of mine before. Now that date may be farther out than you want.
Rodeo1
Reg. Mar 2016
Posted 2016-03-17 8:47 AM (#166455 - in reply to #166438)

New User

Sent you a pm.
Milo3
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2016-03-17 3:53 PM (#166462 - in reply to #166438)

Thanks everybody! I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and put my official order in. As a single gal, I don't trust my knowledge to buy anything used since I don't know the workings of the LQ stuff, have no one to help me, and am worried I would've bought something with a problem and had no way to fix it other than costly repairs. A warranty is more comforting, even though it's costing me $$$-wise:) Nor do I have the time, with my work schedule, to go looking in other states, although I'm sure I could've saved a lot of $$ that way. My current trailer I bought used but there are no LQ in it. The dealer confirmed a better date with Merhow and was willing to put it in writing that if they went past what they said he would give me back my deposit and I wouldn't have to take the trailer, so that makes me feel a little better. Fingers crossed!
Milo3
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2016-05-03 12:41 AM (#166977 - in reply to #166438)

If anyone is following this thread, I'm happy to say that Merhow had my trailer ready one day ahead of schedule :) It would've been ready earlier but the company that made the window valences was running behind.

Edited by Milo3 2016-05-03 12:42 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)