'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll Opinions on a new Hawk setup -

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-04-28 7:07 PM
7 replies, 3816 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

eskenow
Reg. Apr 2016
Posted 2016-04-27 10:54 AM (#166920)
Subject: Opinions on a new Hawk setup -

New User

hi all,
we are getting ready to order a new trailer (our first and last) and would greatly appreciate comments or opinions and pros/cons on configurations of a new Hawk 2 horse Straight load Gooseneck.
we can't decide what would be the best bang for dollar and space utilization.

thinking about default 4 foot dress with 3 foot midtack; midtack adds additional bulkhead wall with inner bulkhead door to shut that off from dress area,(great for the porta pot) and additional door outside for walk in from outside

6" foot dress to have room for tack/supplies, add additional saddle rack behind bulkhead wall in horse area for wet tack to keep out of dressing area -- (we could make small closet for porta pot)

default 4" dress with side ramp; could use extra space inside ramp corner wall for extra hay, buckets etc.

gets pricey adding tack room so wondering if its really needed or not.

thanks in advance

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-04-27 7:28 PM (#166927 - in reply to #166920)
Subject: RE: Opinions on a new Hawk setup -

Expert

Equispirit has a red one on the used list on it's website, 2 horse w/ dress and tack. FWIW. Hawk and Equispirit are apples to apples, so go save some money! http://www.equispirit.com/inventory/Trailer.php
eskenow
Reg. Apr 2016
Posted 2016-04-28 6:30 AM (#166935 - in reply to #166920)

New User

@ huntseat; thanks for the tip, we have seen this trailer in person sitting @ Hawks parking lot, beautiful trailer with great setup, but loaded with problems, that insulated ceiling wasn't done properly and in winter was filled with frozen water droplets, unfortunately nothing has been done to it and is still wet inside the trailer, now spells like mold and looking like it too. my sales person told me that trailer was sold and returned due to so many build problems, although lovely to look at its not likely to save any money with that one!
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2016-04-28 7:59 AM (#166936 - in reply to #166935)

Elite Veteran

Hmmm. They can't fix that one, but you are looking to have them build you a new one- am I understanding that correctly?

Otherwise- on a straightload, every time you add a room or extra length to the dress, the axles are still at the rear because of the escape doors- so it gets heavy on the tongue which makes it feel heavy to pull. Just my experience.
HappyTrailsTrailers
Reg. Apr 2016
Posted 2016-04-28 11:12 AM (#166940 - in reply to #166920)

I suggest you go with a Classic size so you get an axle upgrade if you are adding much length and you will then get 80" wide instead of 72" wide, you can then go with a 10' stall if you want and your horse size is not over sized instead of an 11' stall and add that 1' to your dress at no added cost, your choice if you want a side unload VS a mid tack vs none of the above, spec it out both ways, for your first and last you should get exactly what you want!... I suspect you will come out better to order a new Hawk price wise too! Email if you need assistanceRisaHappyTrailsTrailers.com
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-04-28 5:22 PM (#166943 - in reply to #166920)

Expert

If they can't properly build the trailer that's been returned what makes you think they won't mess up on yours? I'm sorry but I'd skip on this brand now.
jmey1820
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2016-04-28 6:02 PM (#166944 - in reply to #166920)

Regular

Get the tack room. I had the standard 4 foot straight wall and was continually shuttling my tack from front to the back when I arrived at my destination and then shuttling it back to the front to go home. I was going to order exactly what you are talking about in a hawk with the separate tack and in a straight load but I ran into a used Merhow that suited my purposes. I know many people with Hawks and have never heard about any of the problems you mentioned with the one on the lot.
eskenow
Reg. Apr 2016
Posted 2016-04-28 7:07 PM (#166945 - in reply to #166920)

New User

hi All, thanks all for your input. I feel to need to clarify the details on the red EquiSpirit trailer sitting in the Hawk lot I commented about. The roof installation in the dress on that trailer was performed by an outside company after the Hawk build was complete and before it got to the customer, it had nothing to do with the Hawk dealer, I don't know who it was that did the work I just heard through dealers I've talked to that know about the situation with that trailer. So this mishap was absolutely no fault of the Hawk dealer or anything related to the quality of Hawk trailers.Sorry for any confusion on my post about that trailer! I hope this this helps to clear any confusion and doesn't deter anyone from bypassing a Hawk trailer, I feel they make a very nice quality trailer.thanks,
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)