'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Super cab vs Crew cab for towing 16 ft gooseneck?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2016-07-18 8:32 AM
5 replies, 4195 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jgarner
Reg. Jul 2016
Posted 2016-07-16 1:10 PM (#167632)
Subject: Super cab vs Crew cab for towing 16 ft gooseneck?

New User

Hi all. First time tower here in need of some towing wisdom. I'm trying to choose a tow vehicle for towing a 16 foot gooseneck trailer. Deciding between a Ford superduty long bed super cab and a Ford superduty long bed crew cab. The cab storage factor isn't an issue--both would be just fine in terms of storage.I've read a longer wheel base will provide better tow stability and handling while on the road, and safety is most important to me. The crew cab has a wheel base that is 14 inches longer than the super cab. On the other hand I've read a shorter wheel base makes maneuvering and turning easier. My question: will I be able to feel a difference in tow stability from the 14 extra inches of wheelbase when hauling a 16 foot gooseneck? Oh, I should note that I won't have any horses in the trailer, it will be a camping trailer. But I thought everyone here might have a good sense for my question :)
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2016-07-16 4:06 PM (#167633 - in reply to #167632)
Subject: RE: Super cab vs Crew cab for towing 16 ft gooseneck?

Expert

Towing a 16' GN trailer will be quite easy for any SD truck. The shorter 158" wheel base on the super cab will easily handle trailers far exceeding your stated 16'. We've pulled trailers almost 40' long with complete stability and safety. The longer the wheel base, the more secure will be the ride. If open road travels are your main usage, the longer WB will provide the most comfortable ride. However, if the truck is also used as an every day driver, parking the longer WB trucks, especially with a 4 X 4 option, will offer much practise in 5 point turns whilst parking. The super cab has a very useful and comfortable back seat. If you don't need a crew cab for passengers, the super cab will pull your trailer and most others with ease.
brokenboot
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2016-07-16 6:03 PM (#167636 - in reply to #167632)

Regular

I've preferred a super cab because of the shorter wheelbase for manuevering.  I pull a 28' 3-hrs living quarters trailer with no problems.  I also like being able to look back and see the ball through my back window when I'm backing under the gooseneck.  So much easier for one person to hook up the trailer.  I don't believe you can see the ball from the driver's seat through the back window of a crew cab.  My wife has a crew cab and I dislike driving it because of the additional length.
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2016-07-16 6:11 PM (#167637 - in reply to #167632)

Expert

Unless you can get a SCREAMING DEAL on a super cab AND you are going to keep it until it dies then your best resale value will be in the crew cab. <--- Advice straight from my former neighbor that was managing partner of one of the largest Ford dealers in the DFW market. Around here anything that is not a crew cab takes a nasty hit in resale value and has for over 15 years. When I purchased my first super duty the price difference between a super and crew was only $1800...best money I spent after the 7.3L engine option. I'm on my third crew cab after owning a super cab and I would only go back if it was the deal of a lifetime.
jgarner
Reg. Jul 2016
Posted 2016-07-17 11:08 PM (#167688 - in reply to #167632)

New User

Thanks so much y'all! If any more input keep it coming :)
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2016-07-18 8:32 AM (#167691 - in reply to #167632)

Elite Veteran

My Ford supercab's doors did not seal as well as my crew cabs. Thus the crew had less rattle & wind noise. Granted- I am particular about such things.

All the above advice I have found to be true. The longer wheelbase is more stable. So are dual rear wheels. Just an opinion, but a crew cab, long wheel base, single rear wheel looks funny....But, I don't think a C/C LWB DRW is required for a 16' trailer either.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)