'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
kiefer trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-04-01 6:22 AM
11 replies, 9895 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pit bull
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-03 7:26 PM (#34840)
Subject: kiefer trailers

Am thinking of purchasing a new kiefer Eagle gn 3h 8ft full lq.(steel/aluminum skin.)  Any feedback with experience with this brand would be helpful.  Thanks for the details on cons in advance. 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
BITSYRDR
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-01-04 8:33 AM (#34855 - in reply to #34840)
Subject: RE: kiefer trailers

We bought a Kiefer 1 yr ago, we love it.  Looked at MANY other brands and they didn't stand up to the quality.  We had interior put in at place in Iowa, he showed us the difference in the construction of Kiefer and other trailers..  Good luck.
Syncho
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-01-04 9:06 AM (#34858 - in reply to #34840)

Regular

They have had severe issues with the rear doors basically rooting and becoming severely unsafe even in later models and a failure to fix the problem. I've only had to pull one for about 3 weeks and can't say I was over impressed, it's a fair trailer at best but can be a little pricey for what you get and their past problems. Jmo of course, I just know what 2 couple had to go through to get their back doors replaced that were falling apart after 3 years.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-04 1:37 PM (#34881 - in reply to #34840)

Expert

I put livivng quarters in trailers and I know this much the Genesis line of trailers is the most square trailer I have ever put LQ in and that includes 4 Star, Sooner and Sundowner I have done a few of them and they were all the same way. Plus they do I-beam floor joist on 12" centers the best in the horse trailer business. I am very impressed with the trailers. I feel that 4 Star builds the best trailer from the slant wall back, and Keifer builds the best trailer from the slant wall forward.
mi-farmer
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-01-04 6:12 PM (#34899 - in reply to #34840)

We bought a K.B. in wis. and could not be happier with our choice. We looked at alot of trailers and decided on the one we got because of the reputation of the company for quality and workmanship. Not only was the trailer well built, but the conversion co. (LSR Conversions) worked with us to get exactly what we wanted and needed. Haven't yet found a problem with anything.
pit bull
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-31 11:15 AM (#36297 - in reply to #34840)

thanks for the replys.  I bought an adam instead.  Man, what a difference.
cowgirlwi
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-01-31 7:43 PM (#36338 - in reply to #34840)
Subject: RE: kiefer trailers--Junky Back Doors

New User

I myself have a 2001 BP slant 2 horse that I bought brand spankin new.  Let me tell you, the back doors SUCK!!  They are rotting out by all the rivets and hinges. I have been in contact w/Kiefer on numerous occasions and their only suggestion is that I can purchase new doors for $350.00 plus freight.  The thing that makes me mad, is that Kiefer was aware of the door problem and made no effort to do a recall on them, or contact the dealers or past buyers.  Right now I am in the market for a new trailer and I can tell you one thing....it wont be a Kiefer!
CrazyAgain
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-02-01 6:35 PM (#36395 - in reply to #34840)

I had a 2001 Kieffer BP that I sold and the next owner took it to a Wi Kieffer dealer and they replaced those bad doors for just labor costs.  The dealer said Kieffer was replacing the doors and they got a bad batch from a provider.  Other than that flaw, I loved the Kieffer BP slant with the fiber glass roof.  I took pretty good care of it and the resale was very good.  It was a very good value for the $$.

Edited by CrazyAgain 2006-02-01 6:39 PM
Vickie Jenkins
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-01 7:50 PM (#36400 - in reply to #34840)

New User

I would be careful wit the Kiefer  I had a 2001 2 horse slant with no butt bars and i had a tire pop and we turned sidways and the doors popped open and kill my horse coming back from the world show that my daughter place 8th at the world show   any question please e-mail me  
psdoolittle
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-02-09 3:21 PM (#36835 - in reply to #34840)
Subject: RE: kiefer trailer doors

I purchased a 2001 Kieferbuilt Eagle XLA. I used the trailer twice. The second time my horse was loaded in the rearstall. I was driving 15 mph through a subdivision when the rear door failed and my horse was ejected onto the road. He suffered severe burns on his knees, fetlocks and stifles. He was raw to the carpus, and the rear extensor tendons were damaged. The company claims no responsibility for the accident, even though their corporate representatives will admit that the doors (I quote) "were flimsy"--"We went from having the worst doors in the industry to the best."An independent engineering firm has deemed these doors unsuitable for the intended purpose of restraining a horse inside the trailer. Folks, we have a responsibility to make noise about these doors, not just for the safety of our beloved equine partners, but also for the safety of the families--yours and mine included--that are driving down roads and highways behind these trailers. Report your incidents to the NHTSA (National Highway Transportation and Safety Administration)--phone is 888-327-4236. To Keifer's credit, they have completely changed the rear door design, and it's much better. IT doesn't change the fact, however, that they don't aknowledge the defect in the many trailers that still travel the roads endangering both horses and humans.
robison19
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2015-03-24 10:53 AM (#162973 - in reply to #34840)

I know this is an older thread, but does anyone know when they started using the better doors? I am interested in one made 8/02 and am concerned it may have the "bad" door after reading this thread. The trailer is 400miles away so hard to get a look at it unless we actually drive 8 hrs to see it.
trailers21
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2015-04-01 6:22 AM (#163064 - in reply to #34840)

The door issue was from PURCHASED doors from Todco door. This was an issue back in 2001 through some of 2003. The doors had a window in them and were wood core. The windows were not properly sealed causing moisture to get inside the door resulting in deterioration of the door. For a time, Kiefer Built was replacing the doors if a customer called them with a problem. They started building their own doors in 2004 and replacing them with the "retro" doors. After a time period, they would replace doors for cost plus labor. They have not used this type of door for many, many years. They build their own doors and they have not been wood cored for many years. Kiefer has an 8 year structural, 3 year hitch to bumper and 3 year no leak roof. The doors are double sealed and hold up well today.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)