'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
cimmeron roof recall

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2014-10-10 10:37 AM
34 replies, 17159 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2013-06-14 11:42 PM (#152760 - in reply to #60837)
Subject: RE: cimmeron roof recall

Expert

Gelcoat blistering is a common problem with watercraft, fresh and salt water both. When it involves a non submerged structure, its causes are usually indicative of a poor construction or inferior fiberglass layup materials.

For those of you that have fiberglass roofs with structural issues, and whose trailers are no longer covered by a warranty, I would recommend you visit a boat yard instead of a RV dealership. Most fiberglass structures can be rebuilt and strengthened in place, without having to replace the entire laminate. The material and labour costs for the repairs will be much lower than a total metal replacement. Boat yards that typically effect fiberglass repairs are versed in this type of reconstruction.

The problem with any fiberglass construction is the harm done by UV rays, which damages the outer most layers of a fiberglass lamination. An inferior layup's surface can only include the laminating resin, whilst a better lay up will have an additional gel coating protection layer. The type of resins that were used in the FRP lay up, in addition to the numerous fiberglass and core materials that are available, can result in very different qualities of finished products. Just as with any construction, there are many ways to build a fiberglass layup. Not all are equal, and one type can't be directly compared to another.

The repairs would include sanding the damaged areas, removing any delaminations, adding new materials, and finishing with a new gel coating or final paint product. Usually the interior would not have to be addressed as the repairs would be limited to the top of the present roof. Replacing an entire roof, especially with a different material, particularly if it involves a finished LQ, is very labour intensive. Fiberglass repairs, when compared to sheet metal, are much easier and less expensive to effect.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2013-06-15 9:46 AM (#152764 - in reply to #60837)

Elite Veteran

For what it is worth, we have installed a full aluminum roof overlay on several Cimarrons with the delamination issue. Basically we leave the original roof intact, and add a full .040 coil skin that is sealed at the edge and around vents like every other traditional roof (same material we use when we have to replace a traditional roof). It seems to have worked very well, it is not cheap, but a reasonable alternative to replacement with what should be a permenant solution. Did our first one back in '05 or so, and several since. As was pointed out with an LQ- this lets all of that not be disturbed.

Also for what it is worth, the last one we did had the factory authorized "fix" applied several years ago. Roof still came apart. It wasn't leaking, but it had severe delamination. So no matter what, keep a close eye on those units before any damage occurs.

Edited by RTSmith 2013-06-15 9:48 AM
smcmane
Reg. Jun 2013
Posted 2013-06-16 10:03 AM (#152791 - in reply to #152764)

New User

RTSmith-what is the name of the company that replaces the roofs? Any information is appreciated.
RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2013-06-17 8:11 AM (#152812 - in reply to #60837)

Elite Veteran

I am only aware that Cimarron themselves replace the actual roof. My dealership in Shelbyville, TN. is where we have done the additional (or overlay) roofs. There may of course be others.
RTSmith
www.SelectTrailer.com
931-685-4040
Wilda
Reg. Oct 2014
Posted 2014-10-09 8:03 AM (#161088 - in reply to #152754)

New User

I am told I need to replace my whole roof on my 2004 Cimmeron Living quater Trailer. I am told by Cimmeron that it will cost $4,000-$4,500. I will have to take it to Ok. The repair will take about a week. I live in Michigan. Has anyone had any better luck with Cimmeron? Funny, I used to sell these trailers. Chose this one because of the quality for the money. Love the trailer. Just want it fixed before it wrecks my Living quarter. Never received a recall, although I am hearing of them. Any help would be appriciated. Wilda.
horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2014-10-09 8:38 AM (#161089 - in reply to #60837)

Elite Veteran

I don't believe there ever was a "recall", as recalls are for safety issues. There was what one might call a service campaign, a long time ago. They advised of a potential problem, and paid the dealers to basically slather another coating on top of the roof. I saw one of those fail anyway.

If I were you, I'd tote it to OK and have them do it. Just my opinion. Before any more damage is done.
Wilda
Reg. Oct 2014
Posted 2014-10-09 2:00 PM (#161090 - in reply to #60837)

New User

Thank you, I just spoke to Dave in service at Cimmeron. Very helpful and nice. I was on the list to receive a service notice. I did not get one. Probably wouldn't have made much difference anyway. Too bad I will have to eat the expense of a new roof. As I said, I used to sell trailers. I looked at so many new and used. Thought, for the money the best choice. Who could have seen this coming? I think all Companies have a bad spell now and again. Late 2000's for Sundowner powder coat on 727's. Lots of trouble here in the north. All in all, I have an outstanding trailer, with a roof problem. NOW, what to do about it.
Wilda
Reg. Oct 2014
Posted 2014-10-09 2:13 PM (#161091 - in reply to #152764)

New User

I am looking to get my Cimmeron trailer roof fixed. You mentioned an alum. overlay. Where are you located?
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2014-10-09 11:39 PM (#161094 - in reply to #60837)

Extreme Veteran

Are there any shops (RV, Horse Trailer, Boat,) near St. Louis that can address this problem.  The CM Dealer I purchased from is no longer selling or servicing them.
Miner
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2014-10-10 10:37 AM (#161099 - in reply to #60837)

We had a roof issue with our 2008 Cimmeron. I could see that the fiberglass was delaming in two small spots.  I contacted my dealer at Transwest in Kansas City and she hooked me up with Cimmeron.  They had a person from Ohio come to Iowa and repair my roof. He repaired it like a body shop would repair fiberglass on a car.  I learned alot about fiberglass and upkeep that day.  He told me to keep my roof waxed with a good paste car wax once a year. I did that immediatly after he left and every year after that. I did not have any more issues with the roof.  I have traded that trailer, and purchased another Cimmeron, and I wax the roof with a paste wax, and I also wash the roof everytime I wash the trailer, no signs of any delaming.  Love the Cimmeron trailers.  Call Trisha at Transwest in Kansas City.  They are a Cimmeron dealer, and she may be able to point you in the direction you need to go. Good Luck!  

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)