'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hawk Trailer Maintenance

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-25 6:36 PM
4 replies, 5076 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

spotsrider
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-01-25 11:24 AM (#98194)
Subject: Hawk Trailer Maintenance

Hoping someone knows maintenance for Hawk trailers...

I have a 2001-2002 Hawk 2-horse, bumper-pull.  It is not heavily used; however, it has never broken down or had any type of maintenance.  I have never noticed any kind of performance issue or "red flag" that something is wrong.

This trailer is outside all winter but never used...it just sits until the weather is nice enough to leave for a short ride or over the weekend.

It has torsion axles. Do these ever need to be replaced?  It seems like the clearance between the tires and bumpers is noticably less. 

I'm pretty sure this trailer does not have leaf-springs.

What is the best way to take care of beginning surface rust on the wheels?

Does this trailer have wheelbearings?  If so, when should they be repacked?

I know that the brakes are electric, but what is their maintenance schedule?  How do I know when the brakes should be checked?

Are there any other concerns or considerations that I should be aware of that I did not mention here?

Thank you for knowledge and response.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-01-25 11:28 AM (#98197 - in reply to #98194)
Subject: RE: Hawk Trailer Maintenance

Expert

If it's never had any type of maintenance... The wheel bearings need to be washed, repacked or replaced, wheel seals replaced, brakes lubed, inspected and/or replaced. Check the floor boards of cracks, breaks and rotten spots. Inspect the torsion axles for crumbling rubber inserts. Another thing, if it still has the original tires, they'll need to be replaced. About 5-6 years is all you'll get out of them before they start rotting, cracking, blowing out and ripping your fenders off.. This would be a good time to repaint the rims while the tires are off and they're inspecting the bearings and brakes. A good coat of wax on the trailer's exterior painted surfaces wouldn't be out of place either!!

I don't know anything about these folks, but.... I think I would give these folks a call and set up an appointment...

Arena Trailer Sales
PO Box 186
Cannon Falls, MN 55009
507-263-4488

Edited by retento 2009-01-25 11:44 AM
snoweary
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2009-01-25 5:26 PM (#98209 - in reply to #98194)

I dont know what the regulations are there, but in Ontario we have to have our trailers inspected annually...When I've taken mine in in the past, they've repacked the bearings, checked the brakes and all that fun stuff. If your trailer's been inspected recently , is there a chance they would have packed the bearings and done a checkup on your brakes? Its expensive having the trailers inspected every year, but its comforting to know its up to par!

What type of floor does your trailer have? You might want to pull the matts up and have a look at that as well. I'm sure someone on here can tell you exactly what to look for, but i just look for any soft spots in the wood, or any corrosion spots if your floors another type..

Edited by snoweary 2009-01-25 5:27 PM
spotsrider
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-01-25 6:27 PM (#98213 - in reply to #98197)

Thank you for replying.  I was sure that there must be maintenance needs, but just didn't know exactly what they were.

Now when I call or visit a trailer business I'll have the information I need.  It really helps so that the people don't try to take advantage of a "naive" woman walking in for service.   :)

spotsrider
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2009-01-25 6:36 PM (#98216 - in reply to #98209)

Hello:

We are not required to have inspections here.  Seems a good idea though.

I have had the floor mats out many times over the years and have taken the trailer to a car wash.  Once I get the trailer home, I leave the doors open and the mats out so that everything can dry out.  I have not noticed any rotten spots, but I have wondered about the area of the boards that are underneath the metal where the horses rear-ends are.  I don't see a way to remove the boards myself to clean them.

I printed the other reply I received and will be taking it with me to get the trailer serviced.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)