'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Question About Textured Paint

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-05-05 4:17 PM
11 replies, 4530 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-04-30 4:22 PM (#104226)
Subject: Question About Textured Paint

Veteran

I will soon be painting my ceiling (luan board) but I want it to have a slight texture to it sorta like a drywall ceiling in a house. I have seen the spray on popcorn ceiling stuff but does anyone know if that stuff would crack with the movement of the trailer?

Actually, I don't care whether or not it really has a texture "feel", I just want a textured "look". Any suggestions on some type of paint that will hold up to the movement of a trailer and have a textured look/feel? I know Rust-Oleum has some spray cans of textured paint but if I had my true preference, I'd like to find some paint that I could roll on or brush on instead of spray on. I wonder if I used regular paint and applied it with one of those sponge rollers if that would make it look textured? Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-04-30 4:36 PM (#104228 - in reply to #104226)
Subject: RE: Question About Textured Paint

Expert

If you get a small container of spackling compound and mix it with a latex paint, it will produce a very nice base for texturizing. Any number of surfaces can be effected, using a sponge, crumpled newspaper, paint brush, texturing rollers etc. By mixing the paint with the spackling, the colour is consistent throughout, and if the surface is damaged, it won't show as a different colour.

Make sure you prime or seal the Luan before you apply your finish coat.

Gard

Rose66
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2009-04-30 4:49 PM (#104229 - in reply to #104228)

Veteran

Thanks Gard. I've already primed both sides of the luan with two coats of Kilz. Adding spackling compound to the color of paint that I want and then rolling it on with a texturing roller sounds easy and quick...exactly what I want. Thanks!!
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-04-30 11:05 PM (#104252 - in reply to #104226)

Extreme Veteran

That popcorn in a spray can stuff doesn't work real well, hard to get it even and it makes a mess (at least in a house). I like Gard's suggestions as well, seems simple, cheap, and effective.
tom-tom
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-05-01 6:53 AM (#104256 - in reply to #104226)

Extreme Veteran

Home Depot also sells textured paints; I think Behr makes it. 
JEAN
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-05-01 7:27 PM (#104298 - in reply to #104228)

Gard, I want to ask you a  question about soft ceilings for a dressing room, What if I use the foam board  insulation w/glue to my ceiling,  then w/ spray adhecive and attach a lite cotton material to the foam. Then maybe use the fiber fake wood trim boards to also hold in place. I really do like the vinly material. Do you think it would be to heavy??   I was looking at the vinly material, but I think that would be to heavy.Any suggestions. Thanks in advance, Jean
memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2009-05-01 7:59 PM (#104303 - in reply to #104226)

Veteran

You can get wall texture that you just stir into your paint can. They make varieties from orange peel all the way to acoustic. I just used some last night and it looks great. Any place that sells paint should have it.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-05-02 9:59 AM (#104333 - in reply to #104298)

Expert

Originally written by JEAN on 2009-05-01 7:27 PM

Gard, I want to ask you a  question about soft ceilings for a dressing room, What if I use the foam board  insulation w/glue to my ceiling,  then w/ spray adhesive and attach a lite cotton material to the foam. Then maybe use the fiber fake wood trim boards to also hold in place. I really do like the vinly material.

Jean,

I don't think you'll be pleased with the results of your efforts. Each seam where the insulation meets together or at a structural member, will show through with a directly glued on, finished soft surface.

Tues, we installed a " soft" ceiling in a 4' LQ. We had the material glued to precut Luan plywood panels, and screwed them into place. The seams between the panels will be covered with strips covered in the same material. The ceiling is now good looking and fits well.

I would recommend that you too, attach your material to light weight panels, and then affix them to your ceiling. I think you will be more pleased with the results.

Gard

JEAN
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-05-02 9:11 PM (#104364 - in reply to #104333)

Gard, then I will have to use fur strips  to attach the luan pcs. correct?? I am trying to find something to do  w/o the strips if possible. Any suggestions?? What if I put a lite batting  on first before the material?? Do you think that would cover better& make it look smooth across. The  insulation & crossmembers will be the same depth.It will be level. That should make it look a little more soft. Please tell if you think that will work. Is there any project that that doesn't need fir strips.  I did see some paintable wallpaper that looks like the old tin ceilings. PPPPP lease help, I really do valve your opion. Thanks,Jean
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-05-02 11:38 PM (#104369 - in reply to #104364)

Expert

Originally written by JEAN on 2009-05-02 9:11 PM

Gard, then I will have to use fur strips  to attach the luan pcs. correct??

Probably. It's not often the the trailer structure will match up to standard 4' x 8' sheets without a significant amount of cutting. It's also difficult to insulate the studs and structure, when the luan will be screwed directly to it.

I am trying to find something to do  w/o the strips if possible. Any suggestions?? What if I put a lite batting  on first before the material?? Do you think that would cover better& make it look smooth across. The  insulation & crossmembers will be the same depth.It will be level. That should make it look a little more soft. Please tell if you think that will work. Is there any project that that doesn't need fir strips. 

Jean, I don't know the answer to your question. I've never used batting or the materials you've suggested, and don't know how they will react to gluing. I would recommend making up a testing area and try a small amount to see if it will work.

I did see some paintable wallpaper that looks like the old tin ceilings. PPPPP lease help,

When we built an addition onto our house, my wife wanted copper ceilings. We have a paneled ceiling consisting of 3 1/2' squares, in which we intended to have the individual inserts fitted with embossed copper sheets.

After being confronted with sticker shock, we purchased heavy embossed wall paper. It has a very similar decoration to the stamped copper. Sherwin Williams makes a copper additive that can be combined with their clear glazing compound and used as a paint. We cut 46 individual luan panels, covered them with wall paper, and painted them with the glazing. After being individually installed, and finished off with mouldings, the finished results have fooled a lot of people and worked out well. It saved a significant amount of money.

Gard

JEAN
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-05-05 3:52 PM (#104501 - in reply to #104333)

GARD, DID YOU SEE MY OTHER THOUGHT OF GLUEING A THIN BATTING / LINER UP FIRST OVER A EVEN SURFACE. THEN PUTING UP THE MATERIAL. YOU WOULD NOT SEE THE BRACES THEN.OR DO I NEED THE STRIPS?? THANKS, JEAN  
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-05-05 4:17 PM (#104504 - in reply to #104501)

Expert

Jean, I don't know the answer to your question. I've never used batting or the materials you've suggested, and don't know how they will react to gluing. I would recommend making up a testing area and try a small amount to see if it will work.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)