'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Truck advice needed!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-01-25 10:50 AM
4 replies, 3144 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mylittlebaymare
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-01-24 10:31 PM (#98174)
Subject: Truck advice needed!

I am going to college in the fall and taking my horse with me, so I need to find a truck and trailer combination on a college student's budget! I'm sticking with a 2 horse BP trailer, and I have found several within my price range already, but I'm a little lost on the truck. I'm planning on keeping my current car because I know any truck within my price range (about $5000) is going to have terrible gas mileage, so basically I just need an ugly old truck that is reliable and can pull 2 decent sized horses plus tack comfortably. So on to the questions...-Gas or diesel? This will only be for towing, but I will be trailering to lessons pretty frequently and to events several hours away, so it's not like it will sit around 360 days a year. What are the pros and cons of each?-Will I be able to get by with a 1/2 ton or because I'm looking at older models will I need a 3/4 ton?-Any particular years/brands to avoid? I need a reliable truck that isn't going to break down on me every 500 miles!Any other general advice is certainly welcome! Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hogtownboss
Reg. Sep 2008
Posted 2009-01-25 12:55 AM (#98175 - in reply to #98174)
Subject: RE: Truck advice needed!

Expert

Make it simple, buy a 1/2 ton gas truck. Less to keep maintained. There is a lot of truck out around for the 5-k you are wanting to spend. Just don't buy the first one you look at. If you was down in this neck of the woods, I could find you one in a couple of days. I just sold a 99 Dodge 2500 quad cab with 114-k miles for 3500 and a 2003 Ford F-150 extended cab short bed with 107-k miles for 4-k. Spend I think 24.99 for a 60 day autocheck account and run the vin to check miles and any damage history. The autocheck is the same thing as carfax and you can run unlimited reports for 60 days. Good luck.
luckeys71
Reg. Dec 2007
Posted 2009-01-25 8:30 AM (#98188 - in reply to #98174)

Regular

I bought a 95 Dodge Ram 1500 off eBay last year for the same reason.  All it does is pull the horse trailer.  I paid $2k for it.  It has low miles, for its age.  My husband used it to pull a DeLorean (car) on a trailer to Long Island and back in one day, over 1000 miles.  It has been a good truck.  My husband can do some tinkering.  It spends most of its time taking up most of my driveway!  It has been a godsend when we have had a car in the shop, though!  Even if it can cost a fortune to drive it!  Not too bad now, but commuting 50 miles a day, when gas was $4 was tough!
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-01-25 9:57 AM (#98191 - in reply to #98174)

Expert

I agree with HTB about the 1/2 ton. It will handle a 2 horse trailer and there are many trucks of this size available for sale.

There are additional things to consider if it doesn't have a factory installed trailer towing package. If it's an automatic, it will need an auxiliary transmission oil cooler. The transmission fluid should be flushed and new fluid and a filter should be installed. The cooling system should be flushed and the antifreeze renewed. The brakes should be especially checked and updated if necessary. The engine should have a complete service, with all new fluids and filters. All the hoses and belts should be inspected and replaced as necessary. If it has over 50K the axle fluids should be changed. You will need a brake controller and electrical plug for the trailer circuits. The age of the both the truck's and trailer's tires should be verified at less than 6 years.

Whatever you purchase, you will want to be as reliable as possible. A mechanical break down away from home with livestock in your trailer, is a formidable challenge to overcome. You don't want it to happen. Get a US Rider membership.

BOL  Gard

mylittlebaymare
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2009-01-25 10:50 AM (#98192 - in reply to #98174)

Thanks everyone! It's good to know that I'm being reasonable with my budget and needs.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)