'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hercules trailer tires - need something else

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-23 3:32 PM
5 replies, 10926 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-02-23 8:49 AM (#99961)
Subject: Hercules trailer tires - need something else

Veteran

We purchased a 4 Star 3 horse with small LQ trailer last year with Hurcules (made in China) tires.  They looked good, with just a little cracking on the sides.  Well, yesterday there was a lump the size of my fist on one of them, so I'm using the spare.  We looked all over the tire for the year it was made but no luck.  Maybe the ones made in China don't have to put the year?  Anyway, I'm now a bit nervous about pulling the trailer until I get the tires changed.  Anyone know anything about these tires or have any suggestions on what to replace them with?  Thanks!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2009-02-23 9:02 AM (#99964 - in reply to #99961)
Subject: RE: Hercules trailer tires - need something else

Extreme Veteran

Try to replace them with a good name brand tire..... Goodyear, Michelin, Cooper, etc. Doesn't mean that they will be made in the USA but they are almost always better quality than the Chinese tires that you can't figure out how to say the name of.

I'm going to guess that the trailer had been sitting on the lot a while before you bought it so the tires may have been fairly old and sitting isn't good for tires anyway..... that's probably the reason for the cracks.

Edited by greyhorse 2009-02-23 9:07 AM
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-02-23 9:12 AM (#99966 - in reply to #99961)

Expert

Several years ago I purchased some Hercules tires from a local dealer. They were made in Israel. Within a few months two had broken belts. The dealer said my driving was bad, my wheel alignment was wrong and offered any other excuse he could, except why the tires were failing. He refused to honour a warranty, saying that the manuf would contact me. I'm still holding my breath waiting.

I've been running BFGoodrich on most of my vehicles with excellent results. Most name brand American made E range LT tires will work on your trailer. They are available at most tire stores with variable pricing. Ask for an all weather thread instead of the standard mud and snow.

Gard 

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-02-23 9:15 AM (#99968 - in reply to #99961)

Was this a new trailer? If so, I would sure let 4-Star know about it. For an upper end trailer, it sure is a cheap tire. Made in China tires are junk. Period. Replace them and put some Michelins or Goodyears and be good to go.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-23 9:19 AM (#99969 - in reply to #99961)

Expert

I would stay away from the Chinese tires.... Some of the tires listed below may be now built in China, but they're not "Chinese Tires" as we know them. Hercules brand tires may be OK for your trailer, If you're in doubt, replace them!!

http://www.michelinman.com/tires/light-truck/xps-rib/

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/products/marathon.html

http://www.uniroyal.com/specs/laredo-hd-h/35.html

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/overview/commercial-t-a-all-season/45.html

Hercules Tire web site, http://www.herculestire.com/

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2009-02-23 3:32 PM (#100006 - in reply to #99961)

Veteran

No, not a new trailer, but we were told that the tires were pretty new.  Lots of tread.  I plan to replace them, but after the mess with the truck tires (the ones that we were sold by Sam's made the trailers fishtail!!), I want to be sure to get something right the first time.  So, Gard has good luck with BF Goodrich so those go on my list for sure.  And no more Hercules for sure.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)