'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
wheel locked up

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-02-22 2:28 PM
3 replies, 3774 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

McQue
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2009-02-21 5:11 PM (#99839)
Subject: wheel locked up

Hi,  I got my trailer out today and one (back) wheel  was locked up.  I'm going to take the wheel off tomorrow to have a look, but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on things I should be looking for or trying to loosen it. Thank You.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2009-02-21 5:27 PM (#99840 - in reply to #99839)
Subject: RE: wheel locked up

Expert

ICE.... Drum/brake shoes frozen, stuck, maybe rusted to the drum. Turn that side toward the sunshine for a few hours... See if it loosens up.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2009-02-21 5:40 PM (#99841 - in reply to #99839)

Expert

The brake shoe may be too tight or rusted against the drum. It's unlikely that a bearing has rusted tight, but it has happened. As you suggested, the best thing to do is pull the wheel and hub and determine the cause. I would loosen the brake adjuster before trying to pull the drum. It's the star wheel, accessible from the back bottom slot of the dust shield. A medium sized common screwdriver will work to turn the wheel. It gets tighter one way, turn it the opposite way until you feel it loosen, and go about 4 or 5 more slots.

You may want to loosen the adjuster and then try to move the wheel by pulling the trailer a short ways. This is often an easier way to break it free, than beating or prying on the drum which can damage things. Try moving the trailer in both directions, several times until it moves. If this doesn't work, you'll have a devil of a time pulling the hub. Then you will need heat, penetrating oil, a puller and several religions to call upon.

I assume the brakes are not being activated by your controller while you're having this difficulty. Even if the wheel frees up, it should still be pulled and inspected to see what caused the problem. The bearings should also be repacked as a precaution, and all the linkages lubricated with a high temp grease. You may need new brake shoes, and the drum will probably need to be wire brushed to get rid of some surface rust. It may also have a lip on the edge, caused by the drum being worn away by the shoes. If it's high enough, it should be sanded or ground off before your reassembly. This lip is why you had to open up the adjuster to remove the drum, so the shoes would not be caught behind it.

BOL  Gard

McQue
Reg. Apr 2008
Posted 2009-02-22 2:28 PM (#99896 - in reply to #99839)

Thanks for the helpful ideas. It ended up to be froze up.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)