'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Motor home VS LQ trailer, help!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2009-06-16 8:21 PM
4 replies, 3172 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

keerocka
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-06-12 9:58 PM (#106388)
Subject: Motor home VS LQ trailer, help!

Hello all, I am a newbie, and very confused at this point.  We are looking at a Four Winds Fun Mover (back end is open for toys, in our case, show dogs) as a tow vehicle vs. getting another LQ trailer.  We will haul our 4 Rottweilers with us most of the time, and a horse or two more rarely (the show horse will get hauled w/ the trainer).  The Fun Mover has a Ford engine, V10, 5.8l.  Any opinions on hauling fairly short distances-normally within 120 m. each way, with a 3H alum BP?  While we will probably only haul horses 3-4 times a year, I still want to make sure it's an option.  The tow rating appears to be 5000 lb with the Fun Mover.  I also want to make sure we are safe....and not burning up transmissions.  Otherwise we can go back to the original plan of a LQ trailer to be pulled by our Ford 350 Diesel Dually.  Thanks for any suggestions!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-06-12 10:30 PM (#106390 - in reply to #106388)
Subject: RE: Motor home VS LQ trailer, help!

Expert

What type of terrain are you going to be in?
keerocka
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-06-12 11:02 PM (#106391 - in reply to #106388)

We live in Central Texas, some hills but not mountains!  I am still trying to find trailer weights on alum. BP's, strangely not easy to find on the manufacturers websites???  I am afraid that even with a 2H Dress Room and 2 horses w/ Tack/hay, etc, I am going to be over that weight rating of 5000 lb. 

I need to research more on the Weight Dist hitches, they appear like too much work to me.  We used to have a 28' Travel trailer, pulled with E250 conversion van (yep, full of dogs) and it was TERRIBLE to pull, with the sway bars, would go all over the road.  I'm surprised I never wrecked that combination in busy east coast traffic.  I definitely do NOT want to get into a scenario like that again where I dread hauling anywhere.

Thanks!

akinstrailers
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2009-06-15 2:16 PM (#106486 - in reply to #106388)

Veteran

Another option would be to look at different motor homes.  A lot of them have higher tow ratings available.  It seems to me you will be hard pressed to stay under the 5k rating hauling 2 horses and everything else. 
keerocka
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2009-06-16 8:21 PM (#106557 - in reply to #106388)

Thank you for the responses!  I think we will stick w/ LQ trailer, just afraid that motor home won't work...and don't have $100k for a great diesel motor home!

Julie

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)