'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Lakota Charger 4H GN SL LQ

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-12-03 11:43 AM
16 replies, 12728 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

KitaQuickFlash
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-27 10:28 AM (#129352)
Subject: Lakota Charger 4H GN SL LQ

New User

My wife and I are considering a New Lakota Charger 4H GN SL LQ.  The options are Great, the Storage is Great, but not sure how they hold up over time.

Does anyone out there have one?

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
lorri
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2011-01-27 11:37 AM (#129353 - in reply to #129352)
Subject: RE: Lakota Charger 4H GN SL LQ

Regular

I do have a Lakota that is only 6 mo. old. So far we have been very happy with it. We really like all the options that came with it. The quality is great for the $$. We got a 4h Warrior edition. We did order ours an added a few extras. We have really been pleased. Tows great too. Love all the room the horses have too. We bougth ours though Lakota of Ohio. They were super ez to work with. We traded our old trailer in and got what we asked for it. Free delivery was a good selling point for us.
RAF
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-01-27 12:57 PM (#129360 - in reply to #129352)

Regular

Did you talk with Don or Mike at Dixie horse and mule they have the largest inv. of all the dealers for Lakota . they are on the florida line . Good Luck
Kwarren
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-27 7:58 PM (#129369 - in reply to #129352)

We have a charger 3 horse that we bought from dixie horse and mule last october and are very pleased with it. It is easy to tow and we really like all the room.

Edited by Kwarren 2011-01-27 7:59 PM
KitaQuickFlash
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-27 10:12 PM (#129372 - in reply to #129353)

New User

Thank you Lorri, I appreciate the feedback.
KitaQuickFlash
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-27 10:14 PM (#129373 - in reply to #129360)

New User

Thank you RAF, we will make sure to chat with them.
KitaQuickFlash
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-27 10:23 PM (#129375 - in reply to #129369)

New User

Hello Kwarren,

I appreciate your feedback.  We often haul 4 horses at a time and we were wondering if the horsey area would hold up to the weight and banging around that horses are going to do. 

There is no doubt that the height, width and storage is amazing.  We just couldn't tell if the structure and walls were as thick as standard and we wanted to ask someone who had some experience with the Lakota Charger.

Do the doors, windows, stall dividers, etc. hold up prety well?

They seem to take care of their customers and the warranty is good, but we did not know anyone who had a Lakota Charger.

We were hoping to pull it with an F250 Turbo Diesel and it seems like that won't be a problem.  We have had a 4H GN SL Shadow the past 5 years and were hoping that the Lakota Charger would be comparable.

Thanks for any additional information that you can provide on your personal experience with the varios aspects of the Lakota Charger.  

buyshadow
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2011-01-28 5:10 AM (#129379 - in reply to #129352)

Regular

Sent you a private message ....  Michele

Edited by buyshadow 2011-01-28 5:12 AM
lorri
Reg. May 2010
Posted 2011-01-28 8:29 AM (#129384 - in reply to #129352)

Regular

We have a 2008 F350 SRW. The weight is 10k empty. We have hauled 4 horses it does squat it down. We were on flat ground pulling and the truck did ok, but I dont know how it would have done in the mountains. We are looking a the 2011 F350 DRW. It does not have a swaying problem or anything we just like the thought of that extra tire just in case.
As far as roomyness for the horses that is great. We had 2 huge 1200 lb walkers 16h and 2 1100 lb quarter horses and they were very comfy. The dealer that we bought it from hauls draft horses in his.
Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2011-01-29 1:42 AM (#129447 - in reply to #129352)

Veteran

We have an '07, 4 horse with a 10 foot SW.  The trailer has been great, no issues at all.  It is mostly used for long vacations, last year I cleaned out the back end, removed the dividers, laid carpet and made it into my 18 month old daughters play area.  We took our trailer for a cross country RV trip.  The jack knife couch is very comfortable, my little girl will not allow daddy in the bed, it is for her and mommy.  We have a 104 gallon fresh water tank so we can dry camp for a number of days at a time and do. 

I think the trailer pull easily and handles crosswinds very well. 

We bought our trailer new at Quarter Horse Congress in '08 and the dealer had it for a while so it had some miles on it when we got it.  The window over the couch had an issue; it was put in upside down.  I bought it from a dealer that would not make it right, Lakota brought a new window down and installed it at the fairgrounds and gave me an upgraded window blind all at no charge.  We had a few other issues with our trailer right after we got it but none of it was Lakota's fault but they fixed it all at no charge.  I have one of the last trailers that had a third party LQ.  Do a search for my name and you will see how Lakota stands behind their product. 

You will not regret getting a Lakota.

Jeepplr
Reg. Oct 2007
Posted 2011-01-29 1:51 AM (#129448 - in reply to #129352)

Veteran

I cannot edit my post but I want to add this:

I pull with a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with a supercharged 6.0, I know it is back there but I don't feel overloaded or underpowered.  Fully loaded my Lakota pulls easier and I get better mileage that I did when I pulled a U-Haul trailer.

randemtam
Reg. Jun 2007
Posted 2011-01-29 8:04 PM (#129489 - in reply to #129448)

Extreme Veteran

We purchased a Lakota Bighorn 3H w/12 ft LQ in November. My big horse (16.1ish H Friesian X) decided to turn around in the last stall when I forgot to tie him in and left the door open for some extra air. Nothing broke or gave as he was scrunched in looking out the back of the trailer. He also does some pawing and has done nothing to damage the trailer so far. I'm very happy with my purchase. The trailer pulls nicely too.
Kwarren
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2011-01-30 2:53 PM (#129512 - in reply to #129375)

I do not know how well the trailer is going to hold up over time we have only used it a few times. Ours is a 8311 I pull it with a F250 super duty and have no problems. I did add some timbrens to the rear axle. If I were going to be in the mountains might need a little more truck.
Ncatanz
Reg. Jun 2008
Posted 2011-02-11 2:13 PM (#130142 - in reply to #129352)

Veteran

We have had our Lakota for over 2 years now and we have used the snot out of it.  But you could not tell that by looking at it,  it is holding up great and we are very happy with it.  It is our first LQ trailer and we were surprised how many time we used it in one year,  I price shopped for a LONG time before buying the Lakota,  on thing that set a lot of trailers apart for me is an insulated roof,  it really helps keep the horse cool in the summer.   BTW.  I bought mine from Gary Stites in Ohio,  very nice no preasure man who knows a ton about LQ's and is willing to help anyone.

Good Luck to you

leapfarm
Reg. Aug 2009
Posted 2011-02-23 10:43 AM (#130633 - in reply to #129352)

Yes, I have a 2009 Lakota 2H slant Charger LQ that I bought from Dixie Horse and Mule in August 2009 and I love it! I use it pretty frequently camping and it has traveled well and held up exceptionally well and it is great looking. I get compliments on it all the time. It is champagne colored aluminum. You asked about the doors and locks and stall dividers and I have not had any problems with them. At first I did not think I would like the stud wall divider, but I love it. I only go camping with one horse and he has plenty of room in the back stall. (if you have really big horses, you might want to check and be sure it will be big enough for them; otherwise it accomodates most QH, arabians, TB's, etc.) I have hauled 2 horses on local runs and the front stall is a bit tight if the horse has any substantial size, but the back stall has a lot more room. Camping with that front stall/studwall is great because you don't have to be concerned about stuff in the trailer box, hay, equipment,etc.Here are the things that I would like changed and some that I have:It is a high step up and I added a ramp.I wish the studwall dividers were removable; I am in the process of having the welds changed and removable pins put in in case I ever (God forbid!) have an accident and have to get the horse out the escape door and would have to remove the wall if he were in back stall. The mattress in the nose is an odd shape because of the aerodynamic nose. It is actually bigger than a queen and approaches a king, but it is cut to fit and is not very thick because the tv that is at a diagonal at the foot of the bed comes down low. Thus it would be hard to put a standard size mattress in there. I put a piece of foam and a down topper on it (I am a bit of a bed snob) and it is like sleeping in a comfortable nest now! I love it. I would like to change the tires because it came with Karriers which are made in China and I am a tire freak and want to run Michelin XPS ribs on it. However, these Karriers have been great so far but I maintain tires religiously and check pressures all the time and keep them covered.I wish the rear tack were a little larger, but that is a function of having a smaller trailer I think. I do like the 60/40 door on the back so the horses have more room. I added fans in the box in mine because I live in western NC and even though we are in the mountains it can be hot. My LQ is small, but I wanted it that way. I needed a very compact trailer and the box on mine is only 17.5 feet. It is so durn handy. I can get in so many tight spots with it including the turnaround in front of my barn which is small! I haul with a 2000 Dodge 2500 RAM diesel and it just boogies on down the road easy as pie.
salmond
Reg. Dec 2013
Posted 2013-12-02 10:09 AM (#156074 - in reply to #129352)

New User

I bought a brand new Lakota Charger 3H 9' LQ with slide out. The TV did not work, I am on my 3rd TV in less than 4 months. Fridge still doesn't work. Can't hear the DVD player, so you might want to brush up on lip reading if you plan to buy one of these trailers. Be sure to take a cooler full of ice as the fridge might never cool down.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2013-12-03 11:43 AM (#156083 - in reply to #129352)

Extreme Veteran

Salmond I am curious about your fridge. Do you leave it turned off at home? It takes a full 24 hours to cool down a fridge after its turned on and you are not supposed to have it full of food during the process because that only adds warmth and work for the motor. As to the TV, is it possibly the brand of TV, or the wiring maybe jiggling and causing a loose connection? I am not taking up for Lakota. I do not have one, I pull a Cherokee. Just thinking about answers for your troubles. I camp regularly with a friend that has an 09 LQ Lakota and she has no issues with any of it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)