'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
fixing a bridging saddle

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-04 4:57 PM
15 replies, 10929 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-12-19 8:35 PM (#114396)
Subject: fixing a bridging saddle

Extreme Veteran

I have a nice cutting saddle that I paid a nice price for. This saddle bridges on the horse it was fitted for. The saddle maker was very nice about and offered to make another saddle, but after looking at several different trees on the horse, we didn't think we could do any better. We fitted this tree before the saddle was built, but so it goes.... I had a saddle fitting done, and if the saddle pad is shimmed, I can get a real nice fit for the horse. They use a gel saddle pad and shim it until the "hot" spots are gone. Then you apply that shim to you saddle pad. You can really tell the way he moves that it's working. The problem is the shims don't stay in place with Velcro. I don't want to permanently attach the shims to the saddle blanket because I use several, show vs working and the saddle fitter said not to attach them to the saddle. I was looking at some of the pads with foam like the ESP and Air Ride. They both make a pad that is suppose to correct this problem. I was wondering if anyone has ever fixed a bridging saddle to their liking? I've gone through 5 saddles on this horse, and would like to find a cheaper solution.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2009-12-19 9:35 PM (#114400 - in reply to #114396)
Subject: RE: fixing a bridging saddle

Expert

Talk to the folks at the 5 Star Pad Co.  They can help you a great deal with this.
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-12-20 10:24 AM (#114403 - in reply to #114396)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks! Looks interesting. I'll check it out. Betty
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2009-12-20 1:27 PM (#114415 - in reply to #114396)

Expert

I had an arabian gelding that was very low backed...you could almost say sway backed. There was simply no pad that could bridge that gap in the middle. I am talking about 3-4-5 inches deep in the middle. The horse was totally sound but when you put that western saddle on him he was gimpy from the pressure below the withers( top of the shoulder). One day I thought why not a pillow? So I got a bed pillow from the house and placed it on the pad, plopped the saddle on and it worked. I bought a smaller pillow so it wouldn't show and we used that. For an english hunt saddle we needed something even smaller and found a pad that could work. This gelding wasn't old, he was just 6 yrs old at the time and I have since sold him to a teenage girl who has ridden him to numerous Class A and regional championships.
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-12-21 7:54 AM (#114434 - in reply to #114396)

Veteran

I have seen swayback pads for sale....I believe it was in a big catalog like valley vet or something.  They have more padding in the center....if you place it on a non swaybacked horse it might solve your problems.   OR look at a len brown corrector pad http://www.thecorrector.net/
crowleysridgegirl
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2009-12-21 8:59 PM (#114454 - in reply to #114434)

Expert

Len's page ads look like a lot of hype,but,there are a lot of folks that swear by his corrector pad.He was the original creator of OrthoFlex saddles.
Angelmay84
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2009-12-22 5:29 AM (#114455 - in reply to #114396)

Veteran

True, they do look like a lot of hype.  I'm still picking through the site.  What he says about bridging is really interesting.  The horse's back comes up at least an inch when walking, and more when going faster, bending or turning.  If the bars of the saddle have too much curve, the center of the horse's back comes up and hits the bars of the saddle. So bridging is really not all that bad, you evidently want a bit of a straighter bar and a little gap to allow the horse's back to rise.  It basically looks like a glorified shim system.  I liked all the photos of the saddle trees, it really gives some insight as to what's inside your saddle and how it sits (or is supposed to sit) on the horse.

Amanda

pupsnponies
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2009-12-22 12:01 PM (#114463 - in reply to #114396)

Hi,

I've had good luck with shimming with the skito pads. You can have the shims built into the pad foams or place them in separately, which is what I did as I was pretty certain my horse's back was going to change over the summer. The shims didn't shift at all in my experience. I think they also have a shimming pad that you place over your regular blanket/pad but I've never tried that. www.skito.net

Best of Luck!

Mj
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-12-22 5:40 PM (#114468 - in reply to #114396)

Elite Veteran

I'd sell the saddle instead of constantly messing with padding. Typically no amount of padding will correct a poor fit long term.

A Flex panel saddle may alliviate your issue of the horses body changing as his condition changes. RL Watson and Timberline make flex panel saddles. The older Orthoflex saddles are good also.

As far as Les and the Corrector, I don't think there is much stock in his claims as he bashes the very design he created and then when he bankrupt the Orthoflex company and sold the name does he come out of the wood work and say bad things about them. Richard Watson (RL) and Rick Bousefield of Huckleberry Stables both worked for Les and Orthoflex. They would be able to answer questions about flex panel saddles as well as the Corrector pad.

Also Several dealers of Timberline will let you try before you buy to make sure the saddle will work for you.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-12-23 12:20 AM (#114473 - in reply to #114396)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the pillow idea, here's what I've ordered to try: http://www.horsetackinternational.com/Comfort-Plus-Scoop-Center-Hal... talked to Mike at 5 Star Pad, and he is very helpful. I will be sending him some pictures to look at. I've never heard of a cutting saddle with a flex panel in it. I have thought something along that line would be nice, but wonder if it would hold up to the forces of a working cutting horse? I would love to have a saddle that just fit! I've purchased three different saddles for this horse, and have ridden in eight trying to get a fit. I'd like to find a cheaper solution than a new saddle.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2009-12-23 7:51 AM (#114475 - in reply to #114396)

Extreme Veteran

If you do end up going the saddle route I highly recommend http://www.dixielandgaitedsaddles.com/

Don't let gaited saddles in the name keep you from checking them out.  They use fit forms to fit your horse for the proper tree and they have several clients that do not ride gaited horses and even one who is a team penner.

I just recently ordered my saddle and Cynthia was great in fitting my high withered TWH, while I took my horse to her she will send you the forms and instructions on how to fit your horse.  Good luck with your search!

JacciB

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2009-12-23 12:51 PM (#114486 - in reply to #114475)

Elite Veteran

I had a Dixieland gaited saddle and sold it because of the weight. I had a western style round skirt and it weighed 28 pounds. I also did not care for the very stiff stirrup leathers and the rise in the seat was too high and became uncomfortable when my mare went into a running walk. Fit her great, it was pain to me.

My husband still rides in his though and is able to heft it on to his horse. They are very well made saddles.

Even with a form fitted tree it does not mean that it will fit if the body conditions changes due to exercise or lack there of later on. Also if the horse is very young and then matures, a form fitted saddle may need to be sold and then you are back to square one in finding another fit.

A fiend of mine had a heck of a time fitting a short backed horse whose body condition changed a lot. He is ridden regularly 5-6 days a week. She tried just about every pad combination trying to fix a shoulder pressure issue. She ordered a RL Watson and has been using it for several months. She does Competitive trail... very rigourous riding in my opinion. So far so good and a happy horse.

I think you will see a great improvement in your horse if you find a saddle that fits the horses body. There are numerous companies out there like Dixieland that will ship you trees to try on the horse. Dixieland trees are made my Steele, so you can contact them directly with fitting questions too. I know this can be a pain. I went through 4 different saddles to fit my MFT and one that was comfortable for me.

With a competitive discipline that you are in, the comfort of your horse is very important in it's ability to excel and perform well as I'm sure you know.Good luck on your saddle fit quest.

Edited by ponytammy 2009-12-23 12:54 PM
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2009-12-27 6:43 PM (#114596 - in reply to #114396)

Extreme Veteran

An update. The pad that I reference in a early posting seems to have done the trick. His trot was good, he'd stay in a lope, and he moved well on the cow. I placed the pad on the saddle blanket, and it wasn't easy to get it all in the right place after lifting a heavy saddle onto his back. But it didn't slip once the saddle was tighten. I have a gaited horse saddle I ride him in on the trail. That saddle really seems to fit him well. It flares more at the shoulder, which seems to work for him. But I can't cut in that saddle. :-) I'm still sending pic's to 5 Star Pad. It would be nice to have something that I didn't have to fool with.
Gone
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2009-12-28 6:59 AM (#114601 - in reply to #114396)

Elite Veteran

I like this pad but I was wondering how difficult cleaning the bottom is. I had a wool pad a long time ago and this was a negative for me. The bottom over time was hard to keep from getting stiff. I can't imagine this being comfortable for the horse.

Edited by Gone 2009-12-28 7:00 AM
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2010-01-02 11:29 PM (#114775 - in reply to #114396)

Extreme Veteran

I put this pad on top of my saddle blanket. Next time I think I'll pin it to the saddle blanket in front to put the saddle on, then take the pins off. I'm also going to get a contour pad to use with it. I need a nice new clean pretty saddle blanket anyway.
Rockyroad
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2010-01-04 4:57 PM (#114865 - in reply to #114601)

Regular

Originally written by Gone on 2009-12-28 5:59 AM

I like this pad but I was wondering how difficult cleaning the bottom is. I had a wool pad a long time ago and this was a negative for me. The bottom over time was hard to keep from getting stiff. I can't imagine this being comfortable for the horse.

If you are referring to the 5 Star - for one thing, they include a new dry cleaning sponge w/every new pad.  If you use it to brush off dried sweat & hair, it really helps.   When you do need to wash it, they wash very nicely w/a pressure washer & plain cold water.  We take ours to the carwash.  There is a right & wrong way to dry them.  You are correct - you would not want to leave them forever to get stiff & crusty.  With the 5 Stars having the amount of virgin wool they have in them (the most of ANY wool pad), they are a nice soft pad that is easy to clean & also has the highest compression & concussion rating of all of them.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)