'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Advice on long-distance buying

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-12 7:53 PM
13 replies, 6450 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-01-07 5:56 PM (#115003)
Subject: Advice on long-distance buying

Veteran

I am currently looking at several used 2H GN 4 Star trailers with weekender packages that fit my budget.  The problem is that they are between 400 and 700 miles away in different directions.   I have never purchased any vehicle long-distance before and certainly not without touching/feeling the actual vehicle.  How do you handle it?  If I were to visit each of these it would cost of several hundred dollars in gas and hotel each and lots of time I don't have - and then shrink my trailer budget in the process!!  If money were no object, I would not have a problem (I would just custom order one and have it delivered!!)  Any suggestions or advice?

Am I correct that a 4 Star is considered a "better quality" trailer?  I have noticed that when the 2H GN models come on the market, they sell quickly.

http://uniquehorsetrailers.blogspot.com/

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
windy
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-01-07 6:21 PM (#115007 - in reply to #115003)
Subject: RE: Advice on long-distance buying

I would ask for lots of pictures- detailed pictures. Inside and out. Ask specifically about any damage, and again, pictures. I like talking to people on the phone, rather than email all the time. I think I get a better feel for them that way. Also ask if they have the trailer financed, and if so, with who. If it is, you will have to get the pay off, and figure out how to handle getting the title and having it signed over correctly. I want to have them or the bank fax me a copy of the front and back of the title. If you get to the point of buying, I'd set it up so you send a deposit, and pay the balance when you go pick up the trailer. Put all agreements in writing to avoid misunderstanding on either side.

Good luck!

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-01-07 7:07 PM (#115008 - in reply to #115003)

Elite Veteran

Yes, 4-star is one of the better and nicer trailer brands. Maybe someone on here lives near one of these trailers and would look at it for you?
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-01-07 10:25 PM (#115016 - in reply to #115003)

I bought several trailers both LQ and DR trailers off  of this site. A few were from Dealers. One or two from individuals. Also have bought several vehicles off the net, too. The key is to do you homework and make copies of everything to take with you when you pick it up. Research it within an inch of its life, then research the deal some more.
fastguard
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-01-08 11:53 AM (#115028 - in reply to #115003)

Regular

wow - would i buy long distance again without seeing the trailer in person? i get so tempted.  new rule, not unless it is brand new or comes with some type of warranty or buyer's protection.  my husband's favorite saying "lessons are repeated until learned". 

I have had good luck, 2 out of 3 times, with LQ trailers.  I guess a lot depends on your definition of words versus their definition and your expectaions - like...

• "everything works" could mean yes, it powers on, but does the refridge get cold and stay cold? = $600 in labor and parts
  • yes, the a/c runs, but does it run where you would want to be inside and listening to it cut on and off all night, or make you get out of bed when it kicked off your generator since it really needed a new hard start unit= $$$$ in labor and parts and my time
  • "the bearings and brakes were just serviced" = overfilled with so much gunk etc. that i needed to spend $1600 on new brakes and hubs.  Have you ever had your bearings smoke right under your favorite horse?
  • "exterior is a little faded" - trailer is stained and looks like it has spent it's entire life outside under a yellow sap tree - so bad I have spent $1000 getting it acid washed, detailed, buffed/ waxed and all over again a few times and really need to spend $3500 to have it -painted and re-striped
  • linoleum in LQ area was so ugly in person and burnt in one place from a space heater = $1000 new wood floor installed

Gosh, I could go on and on with this one.  Online photos can make a trailer look like your dream - but how does it smell etc.  Now that I have my trailer pretty much perfect and everything just about brand new - it still chaps me that I made a mistake by not looking at 1000 miles away in Texas.  Of course I am a perfectionist.  15 years ago I would have given my eye teeth for the same trailer.  Go figure.  Basically instant gratification isn't worth it and I spent way, way more to get this trailer right than a round-trip first class airline ticket would have cost me.  Expensive lesson learned that I will never buy from that F.......... dealer again.  Name and dealership info available via private message. 

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-01-08 1:17 PM (#115031 - in reply to #115003)

Extreme Veteran

We bought a trailer that was 1200 miles away and had it shipped to us, but it was brand new. In buying a used trailer I would do exactly as I did buying the new one, write down exactly what you want, what you can do without, etc. Then look for the trailer that fits your expectations the best at the best price. Then call the owners as you will get a better feel for the condition of the trailer over the phone. I just dont think I would buy a used trailer long distanced without looking at it in person, even if it was at a dealership.
nobodyimportant
Reg. Jan 2010
Posted 2010-01-08 1:35 PM (#115032 - in reply to #115003)

Veteran

Sounds like there is a dealer that is good at long distance sales.  See the testimonial on Akins Trailers.  I'll at least talk with them before I purchase next time.
akinstrailers
Reg. Apr 2009
Posted 2010-01-08 1:50 PM (#115036 - in reply to #115003)

Veteran

Pinkmouse- It's always difficult when buying from a private party. Pictures are not always representative of what the trailer is. The comments above are all great ideas. One other thing you could do that will save you time and money is to have the sellers take the trailer into a local dealer for inspection. Most dealers will perform a PDI for a reasonable amount and go through a thorough checklist. Since you will be paying them you will get an unbiased opinion on the trailer. While we don't carry 4-star you are correct in that they are one of the best made trailers on the market. Thad
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-01-08 1:57 PM (#115037 - in reply to #115003)

Some of the dealers that I have personally purchased trailers from over the internet  and would purchase from again in the future include:

Wildfire Trailer Sales  of TX            Bloomer 3H LQ

Central States Trailers of OK          4 Star 4H DR

Select Trailers of  TN                         Bloomer 3H LQ

Trailers Unlimited of  TN                 4 Star 4H LQ

Alytmeyers Trailers of  PA              4 Star 3 H LQ

(All   of which I picked up in person so I could go over them with a fine tooth comb)

Dixie Horse & Mule of AL      20'  4 Star DR stock combo ( this one I had shipped and never saw it until it rolled in the driveway?

Edited by brushycreekranch 2010-01-08 2:00 PM
To Much Trouble
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-01-08 8:43 PM (#115044 - in reply to #115037)

Veteran

I bought mine long distance...I am in the midwest and my trailer came from Maryland..my sugestions would be to talk to them personally, by phone, get all info you can, ask questions, take notes, ask more questions..our biggest delima was my hubby didn't want to carry all that cash half way across the country ( I couldn't go) we arranged to do a $$$ transfer...He would call me and tell me if the sale was a GO ( after he inspected it of course) then I called my bank with info needed to transfer $$$ from my account to the sellers ..it took less then 2 hours to complete the transfer..no hassle!!   ALSO, the deal with the title was a complete _____!!!  he had a clear title, but the finance comp. he had used in MD. had not signed off on the title ( proof it was a clear title) and my state would'nt transfer the title without proof...this was a HUGE P.I.T.A.  the seller had to contact the finace comp.and get them to send a copy of the final pay off..it had to be notorized, then I had to take all the info + bill of sale to DMV to get this transfered...  so, what I suggest is you find out what the requirements are in your state to transfer a title, IF it is an out of state title...and don't get in a hurry !!  :)   GOOD LUCK !!

ridingarocky
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2010-01-09 9:12 PM (#115072 - in reply to #115003)

Elite Veteran

I, too have had good luck buying a trailer long distance.. My new (to me..it's an '07) Hart came from Oregon and I live in south Texas. I had the shipping company that supplies new trailers out there bring it back on a return trip and leave it at their company home in OK. I picked it up there... I bought used from a dealer, tho, and would definitely be leary of buying from an individual.. I checked out the dealer thru BBB and talked to the shipping company about what kind of a customer he was. He also sells mustangs, and I went thru his website and read up about him some (yes, I know that can all be faked, but I did check him thru other sources). I found him very straight up to deal with and am very happy with my purchase.
pinkmouse
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2010-01-11 7:41 PM (#115136 - in reply to #115003)

Veteran

Thanks for all the advice.  Your experiences are invaluable.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-01-11 9:34 PM (#115142 - in reply to #115003)

Elite Veteran

I know that Denny's Trailer Sales in Wykoff, MN has done many long distance trailer sales. I have bought two trailers from them (in person, on site) and know they say what they mean and mean what they say. Service is outstanding and they will help you with any problems themselves, or over the phone if possible or hook you up with the factory if necessary.
gaitedwasfated
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-01-12 7:53 PM (#115176 - in reply to #115003)

Caveat emptor. I just did this, and my experience was not so good. If I had it to do over, I would definitely spend the money to fly down and see the trailer first. If you have several you're interested in, narrow them down as best you can and then invest the money to go look at them or have someone you trust on here go look at them for you. Believe me, in the long run it's worth it unless you have a really good feeling or recommendation about the seller.

My trailer was described (by a dealer) as a "10" - and even "better than a 10". Well I'm not sure what numerical system he was following but his 10 and my 10 were two very different numbers.

Someone above mentioned pictures - yes. Have them take pictures of every square inch, inside and out, stem to stern. And go through the list of each component and ask them not just if it works but does it work properly. Do not get caught up in the enthusiasm of thinking you've finally found The Trailer. Stay objective and analytical! And do talk on the phone as much as you can and try to get a sense about the seller.

Here's a for instance: I asked about the tread left on the tires and was told they were at 80 percent. What I didn't ask was whether all the tires matched. Stupid me. This trailer has three different sized tires on it.

We had ours delivered here from down south (1100 miles away) and we had only put a deposit on it before it arrived, so an adjustment in the price was made once we inspected the trailer - but the dealer was not happy about it and we were not satisfied with it and overall it was a very unpleasant transaction.

Once I sink a bunch of cash into it, the trailer will be just what I wanted! But in hindsight I think I would rather have just waited for the right trailer to come along at my local dealer.

On the other hand, I purchased my pickup long distance from a dealer who sells through ebay and that was the best transaction ever! But he had an awesome feedback rating and I could tell by our many phone conversations that this seller was a straight shooter.

Just be careful. And good luck!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)