'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need A Woman's Viewpoint

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-17 7:18 AM
32 replies, 8517 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-01-14 8:03 PM (#115290 - in reply to #115209)
Subject: RE: Need A Woman's Viewpoint

Regular

What do you find are the most important issues of ownership and usage of your trailer? Safety and comfort in hauling for me and my horses

What sized trailer to you use? My day trailer is a 2 horse slant W&W with a large dressing room. I have owned this trailer for almost 10 years and have loved every minute of owning it. It has a large door so most horses will easily load. It has an escape door so I can check on the horse in the first stall. It light and airy on the inside - another plus for loading horses. I love the large dressing room, plenty of room and the door opening is large so easy to get my saddle in and out.

Are there specific options you particularly want or need? I really wanted this type of trailer when I bought it - it is a stock combo so lots of good ventilation in the back. 

Are there construction details you like or dislike? The paint job could have been better.

What do you particularly like or dislike about your trailer? I like that it is so versatile - can haul horses, furniture, hay...I've even slept in the back of it for a homemade LQ. Dislike - when it is cold and windy, I put a sheet on my horse. Water gets inside when it rains and gets my shavings wet.

What made your decision to purchase the trailer you have? I knew what I wanted and this one kind of fell into my lap.

What, if anything, do you think should be added, that isn't presently being offered as on option? I would get a trailer with drop down and sliding windows next go round. But I am not planning on getting rid of it. Drop down windows need to be easy to use and the right height. I have to use a step stool for my LQ trailer. I haul that by myself too.  

Do you regularly use this trailer by yourself? (no man involved?) Yes. My husband doesn't even know how to hook it up.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
memory
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2010-01-15 7:32 AM (#115297 - in reply to #115209)

Veteran

What do you find are the most important issues of ownership and usage of your trailer? Resale, how it travels down the road, and durability. I use it 3 times a week from May-Sept.

What sized trailer to you use? 4 horse with 4 ft shortwall Exiss sport.

Are there specific options you particularly want or need? I would like swing out saddle rack, fold down step

Are there construction details you like or dislike? I can't open the back doors with one hand.I don't care for the latch hardware on the back door,can get a finger pinched. I don't like the hardware to latch the door open. Need a different design. 

What do you particularly like or dislike about your trailer?I like the trailer for the money (Exiss sport)

What made your decision to purchase the trailer you have?The dealer was close by and it would work for now. Everyone I talked to said it was a decent trailer for the money.

What, if anything, do you think should be added, that isn't presently being offered as on option? Different position of the outside/inside tie ring placement. I am 5'2".

Do you regularly use this trailer by yourself? (no man involved?)Everytime I hook up

shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2010-01-15 8:21 AM (#115301 - in reply to #115209)

Regular

I have a Keiffer 3H slant BP. It's my only trailer. I chose a BP over a GN because it allows me to use my truck with a cap (we haul dogs in the truck).

I love that the trailer is open and bright inside with good ventilation. It's a step-up, no ramps for me (I had a little old Stidham at one time, and the ramp decided to fall off its hinges miles from home).

Having  the rear tack is fabulous. All the horse stink stays back there with them while my stuff in the DR stays clean and nice.

I have an extra stall so I can haul plenty of hay, water, etc.

The DR is large enough to bring along everything I need, and still have room to make a cozy little place to get in out of the weather.

My trailer hauls like a dream.

I wish it had come with more hooks, shelving options, brush boxes and other storage. One brush box and 5 hooks? Puh-leeze!

I dislike that the doors to the horse compartment latch only from the outside - I would like something that could be secured from inside as well. I've slept back there and the possibility that the doors could be opened was a concern. And what good is an escape door that won't allow me to escape?

There are running lights on the trailer fenders, right below the tie rings. How much longer they will be there, I don't know.

Instead of hokey graphics that will be dated in a few years, I wish there was some kind of protective something on the wall area around the tie rings.

I would have paid the extra to have extra good tires come installed on the trailer. Those chintzy ones scare the H-E-Doublehockeysticks out of me.

I mostly trailer alone and do so confidently with this rig.

calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2010-01-15 8:59 AM (#115302 - in reply to #115209)

Elite Veteran

For really nice, but not too expensive, DIY LQ...look at Whinney Cargo's drop-in set up. I think it has all the essentials for a very basic weekender. AND, it's certified and safe. You will save $$$$ in the long run. My husband did a gorgeous small LQ years ago (He is a museum quality trim man-retired, and everything was over the top) and we were very lucky to get our money back because it was done right. Usually, that is not the case. Good luck to you.

PS: In the early years, we swept the poop out of the 2-horse and put a tarp and bedroll down and carried our water in a barrel in the pick-up.

flyinghfarm
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2010-01-15 9:59 AM (#115307 - in reply to #115209)

Expert

You sure sound like our kind of folks!!
TPenning
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-01-16 8:13 AM (#115338 - in reply to #115209)

Veteran

What do you find are the most important issues of ownership and usage of your trailer?

That it works.  I don't want to fuss with intermittently working lights, fussy jacks, sticky hitches, warped doors.  This is all out of my realm of expertise, and therefore frustrating beyond belief when it goes wrong and I have to call my husband to take care of MY trailer.

What sized trailer to you use?

The 12' stock tag along was nice, but wanted tack space, so now using a 4H slant with shell LQ.  It's 26' on the floor.

Are there specific options you particularly want or need?

Tack space and saddle racks.  Drop down windows.  Room for hay.  Lots of tie hooks.

Are there construction details you like or dislike?

My rear tack is collapsible, but no one thought to install a pin or something to hold it in that position. Duh! The dividers were all solid, and my horses couldn't see each other, which did not go over well.

What do you particularly like or dislike about your trailer?

I like the insulated and rubber lined horse compartment.  I like that the dividers are removable, because i took them all out when my horses hated them.  I like the way it tows (Kiefer Genesis).  I like the huge empty space up front.  I like the awning.  I don't like that it's quite a step up to get into the trailer.  I don't like that I need to carry a stepping block with me to put a saddle on the top rack - damn things are heavy when you lift them that high.  I don't like that saddles are essentially jammed onto the saddle rack because the space should have been a few inches wider.  I don't like that I don't have a hay rack, but even if I did, how would I get the bales up there without buying more equipment?  I don't like how frequently the extruded aluminum sides need to be cleaned.

What made your decision to purchase the trailer you have?

It was a 4H aluminum trailer, fairly new, with the right amount of space up front, and the right price.

What, if anything, do you think should be added, that isn't presently being offered as on option?

The pin to hold the rear tack collapsed!

Do you regularly use this trailer by yourself? (no man involved?)  All the time.

Marla
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-01-16 6:06 PM (#115352 - in reply to #115209)

Extreme Veteran

Personally, I prefer the self-loading model with the automatic ramp and the instant hitch feature. Since I like to make a BIG splash while travelling down the road, paint color is very important! I like the blush pink, but baby blue would be my second choice. A good looking man to clean out the trailer and tack up my horse would be a wonderful idea as well! Hell, make it two good looking guys, while we're at it.

Marla
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2010-01-17 7:18 AM (#115370 - in reply to #115209)

Extreme Veteran

Marla - I think your trailer may be even better than a 'Blue Moon' rig!!!!

Where can I get one?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)