'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Steel or Aluminum or combo?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-01-30 1:17 AM
3 replies, 3224 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

mtngrl456
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-01-29 6:18 PM (#115890)
Subject: Steel or Aluminum or combo?

Another question since I'm signed on here.I've been looking for a trailer for a while. I keep thinking I know what I want and then research it more and change my mind.I know I need a 4 horse, want a GN, do NOT want mangers. Everything else I can't seem to decide what will be best for meI currently live in CO but am going to move back to WI, so I had ruled out steel b/c of rust issues when I get to WI. But, I've heard that new steel trailers are pretty rust-resistant so I don't know now. I also don't know about corrosion w/ aluminum in a salt state. I've heard both ways as far as strength (like in a collision or when kicked) so I don't know which is the better way to go on that, either.Does anyone have any info on durability/strength of steel vs aluminum? What about steel frame/aluminum skin trailers? I've heard that since the two materials have different properties, there can be stress and corrosion problems where they are joined, true or rumor?My tow veh is a Dodge 3500 diesel, so I'm not too worried about any weight differences between all aluminum and all steel.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-01-29 9:02 PM (#115895 - in reply to #115890)
Subject: RE: Steel or Aluminum or combo?

Expert

I've had the all aluminum and I now have a Steel frame/Aluminum Skin.  I wouldn't worry about one vs the other,  Look at what features the trailer has that you want.  The higher end all aluminum trailers are great. Probably the best you can buy, But they cost more. There are also mid range all aluminum trailers and I'm not sure they have many feature over a steel/aluminum trailer. The modern materials that they use take in account the difference between metals and isolate them. In a mid range trailer I'd consider either material choice.

Unless you are buying a top of the line aluminum trailer,  I suggest you ignor the all aluminum vs Steel/Aluminum and look more at what type of floor, what type of roof, what's insulated, do you like the layout, What type of hinges etc. These features will mean much more to you than what the trailer is made out of.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-01-29 10:52 PM (#115902 - in reply to #115890)

Expert

Originally written by mtngrl456 on 2010-01-29 7:18 PM

I also don't know about corrosion w/ aluminum in a salt state.

Aluminum is a very durable material in the rust belt areas, much more so than steel trailers, with less maintenance. Compare 15 year old aluminum and steel trailers side by side that have had minimal maintenance. The aluminum will look like new when it is cleaned of oxidation, which is nothing more than an acid wash.

I've heard both ways as far as strength (like in a collision or when kicked) so I don't know which is the better way to go on that, either.Does anyone have any info on durability/strength of steel vs aluminum?

Tons of aluminum are used every day, in the fabrication of every type of conveyance, for every type of transportation. It is a proven commodity, with light weights and durability. Any negative publicity you hear about it, is generated by the competing steel trailer manufacturers.

What about steel frame/aluminum skin trailers? I've heard that since the two materials have different properties, there can be stress and corrosion problems where they are joined, true or rumor?

If steel and aluminum touch, a galvanic reaction will occur and the aluminum will become damaged. Recently, there has been the procreation of new adhesives, tapes and coatings that are being used in bi-metal trailer construction. Only time will show how well the manufacturer uses them.

BOL  Gard

mtngrl456
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-01-30 1:17 AM (#115905 - in reply to #115890)

thanks for the inputFor my price range, I'm looking at used trailers more than new b/c new would mean pretty low end...I'd love an Eby or 4 star, but there aren't many in my price range, and none that are close to what I can afford aren't anywhere near where I am. I guess I'm looking for input b/c I can't actually go hands-on for most of this shopping as the nearest dealer I know of is about 4 hrs away (on good rds) and they carry pretty much only Trails West and I am just not too impressed with those for the price they want for them. Anyone know of a good dealer w/ used inventory in the Albuquerque area? That's the closest city to me but I never see anything advertised down there.

Edited by mtngrl456 2010-01-30 1:20 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)