'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Brakes locked up and battery box won't disconnect

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-04-05 6:34 PM
8 replies, 6198 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-04-04 4:50 PM (#118432)
Subject: Brakes locked up and battery box won't disconnect

Veteran

OK, I'm having a really bad week, but I had hooked up my trailer and a friend came over to go with me to a lesson but when I tried to move the trailer forward, it was NOT going to move.  The emergency brake was engaged.  We tried all sorts of taking things apart, turning the truck on and off, and moving stuff and the message 'short to brakes" kept coming on.  I tried to remove the little battery and the clear rubber covers wouldn't budge.  I didn't want to force anything but I did think that disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it might work, but even if it didn't, taking just the battery somewhere to be checked out would be easier than hauling a trailer without lights or brakes.  What am I missing here?  Thanks!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2010-04-04 10:28 PM (#118446 - in reply to #118432)
Subject: RE: Brakes locked up and battery box won't disconnect

Expert

did anybody remove the emergency breakaway cable and leave it like that for a long time ? It almost sounds like your brakes are freezing up try removing a wheel and take a look at the breaks  
griffsmom
Reg. Oct 2009
Posted 2010-04-05 8:22 AM (#118452 - in reply to #118432)

I have the same problem with the light connector from the trailer to the truck. My husband uses one for the fishing boat too, and they got switched around. I could have lights and brakes, but as soon as the truck was in gear it would lock the brakes up. Have someone check the wiring and connector. If the center pin is brake it will lock mine up just like that. My center pin is the auxillary light. Just thought.
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-04-05 9:04 AM (#118456 - in reply to #118432)

Veteran

I used the trailer last week.  I'm separated from my husband but he used the truck to haul the flatbed and then parked it back under my trailer for me to hook up again if/when I needed it.  I thought that both trailers were wired the same. . .

I read that the light blue wire is for the emergency brake.  Any way that I can disconnect that and then drive with lights but not the brake to the shop?  It's way up the highway from here so I'd hate to chance not having lights.

And, how do I get the little battery disconnected?  I hate to force it, in case it isn't dead and I ruin something.  Seems like the leads should come off, but they just didn't. I can cut the wires, but will someone be able to reconnect it easily or will it be an expensive fix?

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-04-05 1:26 PM (#118466 - in reply to #118432)

I woubt it would be the  breakway battery. Eventually it would run out of power and release the brakes. Are you by chance using an adapter going from a 6 way plug on the trailer to a 7 on the truck? Have you asked the ex if he had any problems with the brakes on the other trailer that he hauled? Or if he changed any wiring...

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-04-05 1:27 PM (#118467 - in reply to #118432)

Also, just for a quick check...are the brakes locked up if you don't plug into the truck? If they aren['t, it isn't the e-brake. It will be something else.
KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-04-05 3:19 PM (#118477 - in reply to #118432)

Veteran

Well, I was going to take the truck in and have the battery controller looked at but now the truck won't start.  arggg.

The brakes released and I drove forward a few feet yesterday when I unplugged the light plug.  And yes, it is an adapter from 6 prong to 7.  I just turned it over and was going to see if maybe he did mess with it (on purpose or not) but I have to go find someone to jump the truck first. 

I'd rather not even ask him anything at this point. 

Tresvolte
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-04-05 4:37 PM (#118481 - in reply to #118432)

I understand.

Did you leave the trailer plugged in overnight? If so, that is what drained your truck battery also.

Is it the same adapter that you have always used? Some adapters have center hot on the 6 way, and some are center brake on the 6 way.

The best thing to do is have someone replace the plug to a 7 way and that will probably cure the brake issue...

KeepsakeFarm
Reg. Feb 2008
Posted 2010-04-05 6:34 PM (#118485 - in reply to #118432)

Veteran

No I unplugged it.  And it won't charge.  I'm having it towed to the Ford dealership tomorrow.  I think maybe the adapter got put on upside down. 

Once I get the truck back, I'll just get someone to follow me to the trailer place.  I'm seeing big bucks being shelled out in the next week or so. . .

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)