'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Have your tied horses damaged your trailer's exterior?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-02-22 1:14 PM
14 replies, 10151 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-16 12:25 PM (#116655)
Subject: Have your tied horses damaged your trailer's exterior?

Regular

In the past I've had stock trailers. When I was at Open shows I'd simply tie my horses to the trailer with a hay bag by each tie, and they'd be occupied that way. Now I have a 2003 Featherlite aluminum trailer, it is painted white at the area where I tie horses.

I have a friend with a similar Sundowner trailer who will NEVER use a hay bag because she thinks the swinging of the hay bag will damage/scratch the paint and aluminum. I was worried after her advice, so when I was at the trainer's place this spring I left my gelding tied to the trailer without a hay bag while I rode my mare. When I returned I found he had nicely nibbled the aluminum window frames and put in a few shallow scratches (He's two and likes to be busy)

So the next time I went to the trainer I hung him a hay bag, figuring it would be less risky than him being bored. I also used a dog "No chew" product around the windows. The horse products in my tack store said not to spray their products on metal. My boy was happy with the hay, and didn't do any more chewing on the window. Of course there is no damage to the white paint yet from the hay bag, but will it happen with repeated use?

So my question is - do you feed your horse when tied to the trailer? If so, have you seen scratches, rub marks or other damage where the bag goes? As an aside, my friend simply loads her horses back up at shows, drops the windows and has the eat inside, but that is time consuming when I'm always rushing at the trainer's place. Also, my horses aren't hungry at the trainer's place as they eat in the trailer while traveling, I just think they're bored standing for an hour.

Thanks for any advice you may have to offer on this - hopefully I'll make the right choice to protect the exterior of the trailer.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-02-16 12:38 PM (#116656 - in reply to #116655)
Subject: RE: Have your tied horses damaged your trailer's exterior?

Extreme Veteran

I always camp and tie hay and buckets to the trailer and have not damaged it. I think if your hay was coarse it would be more prone to scratching.
brew26
Reg. May 2009
Posted 2010-02-16 1:01 PM (#116658 - in reply to #116655)

Veteran

I go to alot of rodeos and sometimes have to tie a horse off to a trailer for long period of time and yes sometimes all night if no where esle to put them. When I tie my horses off they always have a hay bag and a 5 gallon bucket of water and their lead rope all on the same tie off spot. I have never had a scratch mark on my 05 feather lite that is painted. The only scratch mark I have ever had was from my crooked metal stirrups when my horses rubbed on the trailer by accident.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-02-16 1:14 PM (#116661 - in reply to #116655)

Extreme Veteran

Competing in Competitive Trail like I do, my horses spend the entire competition ride weekend tied to our trailer when not being ridden. When we come in from riding 30 miles they usually rest though. LOL But seriously, if your hay bags have metal rings on the back then yes they would scratch. They might rub or scratch anyhow. Mine are always hung on the end where they lay against the corner. Water buckets, on the other hand, make bad scratches when hung from bucket holders like we do. One solution I came up with is to buy a soft floor rug with a rubber backing on one side. I put a slit in it and hang it behind the bucket with the soft part against the trailer and the rubber against the bucket. I suppose you could do the same thing with a hay bag. Now that I have a LQ trailer, and competitions starting in 3 weeks, I might be trying it with the hay bags as well. Also thought I would add that standing tied patiently is a part of training. You might want your youngster to spend part of each day at home tied to a safe place he cant damage to learn patience. I would probably do this both with and without hay. Standing tied is a big part of training for our horses. We want them to feel that the trailer is home and to be relaxed and happy there. We do tie them on Hi Ties which allows movement and gets them back off of the trailer.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-02-16 3:17 PM (#116667 - in reply to #116655)

Expert

Just depending on how much space I have,  I have often thrown some black Rubbermaid tubs in the back of the truck and throw my hay in those when I get to where I'm camping.  the hroses don't loose as much hay in the tubs as they do when I hang hay bags.  Besides the tubs help keep the horses away from the trailer. You can see here, We put out two tubs, One between each of two horses.

On this trailer you can see I am using hay bags and the horses drop a lot of hay,  They will clean a lot of it as the bags get empty. But I still waste more and have to worry about how much sand they will injest.

I guess the other thing I might mention, is that since I put the HiTies on the trailer. I've really not had to worry about the horses scratching up the side of the trailer.  As you can see it positions the horse 3-4 feet away and they don't crowd the trailer as much as if they are tied to the rings.

Edited by Painted Horse 2010-02-16 3:19 PM
Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-02-16 5:55 PM (#116672 - in reply to #116655)

Regular

I appreciate everyone's advice, especially the photos posted by Painted Pony (woops, might have the name wrong now that I'm away from your comment!) I've only see the HiTies once, and that was in the distance, so I'm not really familiar with how they work. Are they spring loaded? Do they just fold up against the sides of the trailer when you travel? And what the risks of a horse getting a leg over the rope when eating at ground level?

We all lead such different horse lives. I mainly haul to breed shows, and at those my horses are kept inside the barn in stalls while I sleep in my trailer. Since they are basically only tied to the trailer for short periods of time, and even then quite sporatically, I probably won't invest too much money in something like HiTies, although they do look practical. What sort of costs are there with them? In my case I'll likely just keep tying to the trailer, although I'd like to move my outside ties - I only have one on the driver's side and two on the passengers side, and the two together are too close to be safe and/or handy.

Thanks again.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-02-16 8:55 PM (#116681 - in reply to #116655)

Expert

When it comes to horses anything is possible. I have seen horses tied to the trailer get excited or frightened and do some damage( mainly to the fender). I haven't seen a trailer with damage from hay bag though.I have hay bags tied to the inside and then when i get to where I am going, I drop down the window and pull the hay bag outside..the horse can easily access the bag and its not swinging around much. I do this primarily because I am too lazy to untie the bag,re-hang and then have to undo and re-hang in the trailer. I generally do not like tying to the trailer, I prefer a stall.
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-02-16 10:45 PM (#116687 - in reply to #116655)

Expert

The HiTies are about $300 each.  They are a 1" fiberglass rod.  The rod flexes with the horses movements.  They also come with a bungie that you can use to tie horse vs his lead rope.  set up correctly the horse should just barely be able to stretch his nose to the ground. With everything this short. It's pretty tough for the horse to get a leg over the lead.  If you tie with too much slack in the lead, Then Yes, it could be a problem.

They fold flat against the trailer for travel.  It's too much hassle to open them up and close them after if you only use them for a few minutes. And for most women, It can be a pain just to reach the high tie to operate them, Since i locate them higher than most horses heads. You would ahve to stand on a bucket or something to reach the hinge pin.  So when I pull into a trail head and saddle up and leave, I don't bother with them. But when I camp I do use them. It's the only way I can get any sleep with the horses tied to the trailer.  Look in the photos, there are NO TREES to highline between at some of our rides.

jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2010-02-17 12:32 AM (#116692 - in reply to #116655)

Elite Veteran

I have a gelding who gets bored and will run his teeth down the side of the trailer to get attention. He stands nicely though! He has had hours and days of training standing tied. Some just get super bored and there is no training 'em out of it. I leave him standing inside the trailer with a hay bag. He is fine as long as he has something to eat. If there are no trees to highline to; highline between two trailers. I had extra tie rings added up high on each side of my trailer so that I can do this.
CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-02-18 9:43 AM (#116746 - in reply to #116692)

Extreme Veteran

Not trying to be the devils advocate here, but I just consider standing nicely, tied, a part of a show horse's training. Up until 2003 I showed and rodeod. Some shows we had mandatory stalls, some they were tied all day. Yes some get bored and start nasty habits, like the teeth raking. I would think a muzzle would be a better alternative to standing in the trailer tied. It can get pretty hot in one where we live. But hey thats just my opinion. In 2003 I discovered distance riding and fell in love so we started that sport whole hog, and camping and trail exploring with the horses. There are several brands of Hi Ties, which are great for overnight or extended camping. I have the Spring Tie brand from Trail Wise tack. We love them and our horses are happy and comfortable on them. They are $239 and during February they have free shipping. If you are a member of NATRC or AERC then you get an additional $10 off. I am not sure HI Ties would be good at horse shows where parking can often be cramped. There are things that you can utilize to protect your trailer from a bored or unruly horse. Training him to hobbles and then tying hobbled is one way if he paws, or a muzzle if he chews or cribs. Horses can safely be tied with a longer rope (Hi Ties or picketing). They must be trained to do so though. At our competitions its mandatory that they be tied a certain length, to be able to lie down or lower their head to the ground. Have only seen a couple of horses get themselves in trouble. They seem more relaxed with a little more rope to move around.
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-02-18 10:22 AM (#116753 - in reply to #116655)

Expert

Our trailers have extruded siding covering aprox the lower half of the exterior walls. The top half is a smooth skin, painted sheet aluminum. The .050" aluminum is prone to damage, and the painted surface can be scratched to the bare metal. Halter hardware and snaps can easily damage this surface. Constant abrasion can chafe and scuff the paint.

The lower extrusions are quite resilient. Most abrasions are hard to notice, and because it is a solid surface, a gouge will not show as a discolouration. If the surface were badly abraded, it could be sanded and polished. This is an ideal surface, and holds up well to pawing, buckets, hay bags and the like.

For us, the extruded skin is a more practical surface, than an all smooth skin exterior.

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2010-02-18 10:55 AM (#116757 - in reply to #116655)

Extreme Veteran

Our new LQ trailer has the extruded part way up, but the one I traded in was white skin all way around. The buckets on the holders do make marks, so I hang a scatter rug behind the buckets. We have a competition in a couple of weeks. Since I have a nice new digital camera as well, LOL, I think I will go around ride camp and take shots of all the different tying/trailer examples and post them, since we tie for several days at a time. We arrive on Friday and vet-in the horses, and then compete on both Saturday and Sunday. Some people come on Thursday and some dont leave till Monday, depending on driving distance. I have some of that planned this year as well. So its mandatory our horses are safe, comfortable, and tie well. We are actually judged on these elements. Most of us have acquired LQ or at least finished DR trailers, but you see a little bit of everything. Some quite innovative and interesting. At our types of competitions, pocketbook size doesnt win. Its hard work, dedication and sometimes a whole lot of luck. (dont get lost on trail, dont loose a shoe, listen well to instructions etc). But the horses are all pretty much tied the same. One rider from Arkansas on his MFT has amassed 5000 miles and won the President's Cup twice, back to back. (highest points in the nation). His horse is tied straight to the trailer. I asked him once why he didnt get Sassy a Hi Tie. He said he didnt want to spoil her. Well heck, he was doing all the winning so I cant argue with that. LOL
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-02-18 10:16 PM (#116773 - in reply to #116692)

Veteran

What a good idea. My youngster decided to amuse himself when tied to the trailer by removing the rubber seal from around the windows. 6
Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2010-02-22 1:00 PM (#116898 - in reply to #116655)

Regular

I always hang a haybag.   A friend of mine was concerned about her hardware on the haybag scratching, so she wrapped the metal with vetwrap.

The rug thing is a good idea for buckets.  When I've tied overnight or for long periods, I offer water occasionally but don't leave the bucket there unattended.

retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2010-02-22 1:14 PM (#116899 - in reply to #116773)

Expert

Originally written by flatlandfilly on 2010-02-18 11:16 PM

What a good idea. My youngster decided to amuse himself when tied to the trailer by removing the rubber seal from around the windows. 6

We got a 3 year old Appendix filly that thinks that this is the most fun thing in the whole world. Our Walking Horses, Icelandic, donkey's,  etc. have never bothered the window gaskets, but this "trottin hoss"  won't leave them alone!!! 12

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)