'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Opinions on 2 Horse GN vs. BP?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-20 11:02 AM
15 replies, 5483 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

sockie
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-18 11:07 PM (#117783)
Subject: Opinions on 2 Horse GN vs. BP?

Hello everybody, I'm new to HTW & to trailering.  Trying to determine which type of horse trailer would be better/safer/easier to haul.  I am a novice hauler..er, more like never on my own, just helping out others when hauling my horse...wonder if one type or the other would be easier for a beginner hauling?  I have an 2002 F250, and need a 2H w/dress.

Sorry if this question has been addressed, I couldn't find anything using the search mode.  If it has been posted, can someone pls direct me to that? Thanks much!

Nan

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
sinful
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2010-03-19 5:05 AM (#117785 - in reply to #117783)
Subject: RE: Opinions on 2 Horse GN vs. BP?

Extreme Veteran

In my opinion, you'll be a lot happier with the gooseneck.  They pull better.  plus you'll have more room in the neck area for a bed and a place to change your clothes.
valerie
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2010-03-19 8:58 AM (#117793 - in reply to #117783)

If it were me I would buy a larger 2 horse bumper pull with a small dressing room in the front.  The smaller ones are not very horse friendly (IMHO) and the ones made for the warmbloods seem to do quite well.  I use a 3 horse slant load and we also have a stock trailer for cattle and hauling mares and babies.  If you buy a 2 horse bumper pull do not get a 2 horse slant, you will be sorry if you do.
DD_TrailerMan
Reg. Jul 2008
Posted 2010-03-19 9:51 AM (#117794 - in reply to #117783)

Veteran

Hey Nan,
I sent you a PM.

Bartley Heath
bartley@DoubleDTrailers.com
Buy Factory Direct and SAVE at DoubleDTrailers.com

Cowgirl-h
Reg. Feb 2010
Posted 2010-03-19 10:35 AM (#117797 - in reply to #117783)

Regular

Hi there,

In the past I've always had bumper pulls, normally stock trailers around 16 feet long. I grew up on the farm and knew how to pull trailers and back them up, but I still didn't feel too confident pulling the trailer through cities, etc when going to big horse shows, but I did it because that was the only way I could show - either do it, or stay home. I have no negatives to say about pulling bumper pulls this size, I think your truck should pull it decently.

Last year I sold the stock trailer and bought a 3 horse gooseneck featherlight. This trailer is several feet longer, but it pulls just as well as my smaller bumper pull did, and is no more stressful for me to drive through cities than the other. The only disadvantage is - goosenecks take a bit more time to back up. I could back my bumper pull into a slot at an arena easier than the gooseneck. Some of that is my lack of experience with goosenecks, but some of it is the way that goosenecks maneuver. It takes longer for the to pivot on the ball than a bumper pull. So this might be the one negative to a gooseneck.

You had someone mention that you won't be happy with a 2 horse slant bumper pull, but they didn't say why. I'm going to make a guess - and that is - the last stall in a slant trailer (whether bumper pull or gooseneck) is the hardest stall to load a horse. There is less 'forward' space for the horse, so them can be reluctant to step in. If you have a horse that's difficult to load you might find this last stall not very useful. Also, be careful what size of space the slants have - many are quite short for the average sized horse, and if you have a large horse they may be cramped. So I would be very careful if you are looking at the bottom end of trailers - make sure you don't buy something that doesn't fit your horses properly.

In the long run I much prefer my gooseneck. The dressing room gives me a place to put a mattress and stay at night. I threw in a bar fridge, microwave and old dresser, and basically had a place to sleep overnight at no extra expenses. Even if you don't stay overnight its mighty nice to have a place to sit and eat your dinner! The larger space in the dressing room in a gooseneck is also handy for hauling show supplies and stuff. The one addition I might make on my three horse gooseneck is a stud wall in the front stall. I like to haul bales and the wheel barrel in that slot (I seldom haul all three of my horses at once) and the stud wall would stop things from rolling around when we travel.

Happy horse shopping. Look at a bunch of different trailers and get a good feel for what you like, how noisy they are, what type of springs they have (don't buy the cheapest type of springs) how well made they appear, the difference in stall sizes, etc. With time you'll decide what you want. And if you have friends with both types of trailers, see if they'd allow you an hour to drive their trailers in a safe area, such as a rural road, large parking lot, etc. Back them up, practicing turning, etc and see if you find big differences.

sockie
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-19 11:03 AM (#117798 - in reply to #117794)

Hi Bartley, Thx for your msg, I appreciate your offer to help, I'll take you up on that!

Yes, based on what I've been seeing & reading, a GN would prob be more advantageous.  My truck doesn't have the GN in it tho, so that's an added expense I didn't bank on.

This subject wouldn't have even surfaced had not a GN trailer come up for sale on another horse forum I am on.  I hate to pass it up, but I don't know a lot about the mechanics in trailers --if it's in good shape, etc.  And I'm finding there's no way find if the price is reasonable, w/no "trailer blue book" available.  (It's a 2000 Sooner, but she took delivery in 2001, 2H slant w/dress, paid $22K, asking $8500).  How can I tell if that's a good price?  Is it a good idea for a novice trailer person to buy from a private party, or are there too many things that can be wrong with a trailer that I wouldn't see right away for me to take a chance?

Also, I read it's possible for some GN's to not clear the truck walls?  Is that true?  I figured all GN would fit in any truck?  That would be a real nightmare to drive 8 hours to buy this trailer only to find it doesn't fit my truck!!  Is that a possiblity?

Thanks for your help, look forward to your reply!

Nan

laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-03-19 11:10 AM (#117799 - in reply to #117783)

Extreme Veteran

I think a novice should start with a bumber pull and work your way up as you get more experienced.

jakey1
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2010-03-19 12:28 PM (#117803 - in reply to #117783)

Extreme Veteran

Have towed a 2H bumper pull with a big Ford p/u and a 4 H stock bumper pull with the big Ford and a 1500 GMC.  Bought a great 2 H slant GN - 3 1/2' short wall DR.  Tow that with the 1500 GMC - 6 ft bed.

No problems with towing - forward or backward!... no issues with hitting the back window and breaking it out of the truck cab, but I don't try to jack knife. 

Also, never had a problem loading a horse in the rear stall and as a matter of fact, the rear stall has more room than the front stall and my 16.2 hand gelding is more comfortable in the back then the front.  He told me so...Actually in the rear stall he does not paw and bang.

Adding a gooseneck hitch is a bit more expensive than a BP hitch, but not a lot.  Try to find a friend with a GN and see if they will let you take a practice run - without horses - so you get a sense of how it works.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2010-03-19 2:24 PM (#117808 - in reply to #117783)

Extreme Veteran

Once you pull a gooseneck, you'll never want to go back to a bumper pull. It's sooooo much easier in every aspect, pulls a lot steadier and is less likely to sway. I am a woman who hauls multiple horses alone and have never had issues.

I started out with a 2 horse straight load bumper pull with a 4 ft dressing room. I will never forget the first time I got on a highway and it swayed- with a weight distributing hitch and sway bars. I thought I'd never tow again.

With any trailer, practice before you haul loaded is key. Find large parking lots to practice in and do it! Backwards, forwards, turns. I practiced a lot and have always been glad I did. It has made me very comfortable with towing whether it be on a back country road or the beltway around Washington DC.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2010-03-19 2:38 PM (#117811 - in reply to #117783)

Elite Veteran

I suspect like or dislike of a 2 horse slant load depends on whether there is a rear tack or not. With a rear tack, the last stall of any slant load is the trickiest to load a horse in. Without a rear tack, the last stall of a slant load is extra big. Have to agree with previous posters, start out with a 2 horse bumper pull, figure out what you like and don't like and then you can be more selective in your next trailer purchase. You don't have to invest in a gooseneck hitch and a bumper pull trailer is usually less expensive, and easier to find, than a gooseneck in the 2 horse size.
laurie
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2010-03-19 3:58 PM (#117821 - in reply to #117783)

Extreme Veteran

I have pulled many different sizes of bumper pulls before I got my LQ gooseneck and not once did I have any isuues with swaying.
shags
Reg. Jul 2009
Posted 2010-03-19 4:56 PM (#117824 - in reply to #117783)

Regular

We've chosen BPs because with them we don't lose the bed of the truck (with a cap) for hauling stuff when we aren't towing.

oklahoma horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2010-03-19 9:47 PM (#117830 - in reply to #117783)

Regular

It probably depends on what you want to do. Are you planning on camping or overnighting? I started out with a straightload two horse bumper pull. Then I sold that and got a two horse slant load with a large dressing room. I still have that trailer. Have thoroughly loved it for 10 years. With the big back door, I have moved furniture in it, plus about any horse will load in it. My dressing room was big enough to haul lots of gear. I also slept in the back of the trailer. Then I graduated to a pop up truck camper and pulled my bumper pull trailer. Then last year, I bought a three horse gooseneck with LQ. But I am a trail rider and horse camper. I think the gooseneck is pretty easy to pull but harder to back than the bumper pull.
mollyjoe
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-19 11:34 PM (#117834 - in reply to #117783)

I have pulled both. I did not think I would like the gooseneck but I was wrong. It is alot easier to back up than the BP ones where. I have used 2 horse straight load, 4 horse straight load and 16' stock trailer and the gooseneck still is easier to pull and back. It is an added expence when you have to put the ball in your truck but it is worth it. Your truck could pull that trailer with no problem. I pull a 3 horse slant with a 1500 Dodge Ram with no problem.
sweetas
Reg. Dec 2009
Posted 2010-03-20 6:55 AM (#117842 - in reply to #117783)

Regular

You've gotten some great replies. One thing with the gooseneck that no one has mentioned is that when you turn, the gooseneck will track inside your towing vehicle, so be sure and make extra-wide turns! I have had both types of trailers, slightly prefer the gooseneck for the extra stability and the extra space in the front of the gooseneck. As for determining if that's a good price on the Sooner, do lots of searches on this website and others to find out what trailers are selling for. There are probably good things and ad things about buying from a dealer, but if it's a reputable dealer, they will give you good advice - not just try to sell you what they happen to have on their lot. Good luck and have fun!
sockie
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-20 11:02 AM (#117850 - in reply to #117783)

I have to thank all of you for the great advice about  the GN VS. BP questions!  Both sides have valid points, & can discuss benefits of both types of trailers.  What I have really learned is I have a lot more homework to do before I buy anything, so you all probably saved me from making too quick a decision before I weighed all the options!!

Thank you! 

Nan

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World