'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
1995 Bison GN

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-03-22 1:27 PM
1 replies, 3518 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

pippi -longstocking
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-21 8:59 PM (#117897)
Subject: 1995 Bison GN

Hi -- new here

wondering if anyone has any thing to say about the older steel Bison trailers? I'm going to look at a 1995 GN 2H. It's one of those oldy but never used-y with all new tires, wires, floor etc.  I've done well with this kinda of purchase before....I like what I'm seeing of it in pics so far...............but have to say I have not liked newer Bisons I've seen around... the ones I've seen that are from 2000 time period and are used, have looked pretty trashed and I didn't like details on them like latches, little things that stuck out funny that to me said "horse will get halter stuck on", that kind of thing. But they seemed to be well braced up and welded on the steel frame (not that I'm an expert by any means)

this old 1995 appears plain and simple---has a fiberglass roof....heard somewhere they were sheets and  prone to leaks????

so anyone have any thoughts? how about the frame construction? Supports under floor etc. Forgot to ask them about axles...probably leaf spring? or would torsion have been available then? I can check when I look at it of course.

Thanks very much-

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
pippi -longstocking
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-03-22 1:27 PM (#117914 - in reply to #117897)
Subject: RE: 1995 Bison GN

checked out this 1995 Gn 2H.  Nice rig. Old yes---but sound as a bell and RUGGED. Obviously well used but has held up well structurally and paint decent too. Not fancy, but with some nicer modern details like solid fiberglass roof supported by steel, barred/screened windows at head, stud divider,  fuly padded etc. Old fashioned solid steel frame and skin---that on this one have held up beautifully. Original paint is a little flat but not chipping or rusted at all....even in MAINE! Obviously it's been well maintained also.

really only down side is---they said this one has brakes only one axle. I know laws changed in the 90's. It would be grandfathered if originally mfg. that way. But personally I'm a wuss...I want a brake on every tire.

I wanted to post this since it does seem that there are some mixed bag opinions on Bison. I will say personally, comparing this older one to some that I have seen from 2000-2005 time period---I like this old one better, it is not fancy but it is solid, durable, and practical. I am wondering if Bison went thru a ??? phase in the 2000's , because what I have not liked about the newer models I've personally seen was a "cheapy"-ness to interior/exterior details that just did hold up to wear and tear well.

kinda like they stayed true to sound safe construction--but tried to frill them up to look fancier like the more expensive competitors while still trying to keep their cheaper price point---maybe using less expensive detail features in the windows, latches, exterior skins etc.---and it just didn't work out.

anyway---this 1995 gn model is a good trailer---should anyone else looking at an older model run across my post. And I believe from that time period some trailers could have brakes on both axles and some only on one---depends how they were ordered untill it was put into law must be on both (sometime late 90's I think)

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)