'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ Trailer Draining/Battery Toggle Not Working

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-30 12:10 PM
3 replies, 3473 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

googx2
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-27 10:14 AM (#122852)
Subject: LQ Trailer Draining/Battery Toggle Not Working

HELP!  I just purchased a used 2001 Sundowner with LQ.  Supposedly everything worked before I got it.  While bringing it home, my truck/trailer plug wires disconnected to my brakes and locked up.  (long story) Got that rewired and got trailer home.  Experienced brakes locked up again this weekend - but figured out it was no power to brakes again and fixed again.  Have new permanent plug to truck now.  I also just bought a brand new 29Marine battery.

Ok.  With that background info, this is my delima.  My toggle switch does not work to disconnect the LQ to the battery.  The switch IS good.  I've gone through ALL the fuses and all good.  Also, SOMETHING? is draining my battery.  Nothing is on in LQ except LP detector/radio clock which are auto.  No lights, etc. are on.  My truck does not seem to be recharging my battery either (only gone 1.5 hrs though).  I have a feeling this is all (brake wire/toggle/battery) interrelated somehow. 

Questions: 1) Why is my toggle to my battery not working?  What do I look for? 2) When my wires disconnected, did something get hot and create a short now causing a draw on my battery?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
googx2
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-30 10:32 AM (#123001 - in reply to #122852)
Subject: RE: LQ Trailer Draining/Battery Toggle Not Working

Well, Ive decided to just take it to the local RV service center and see if they can figure it out.  Forum administration wont' let me delete the message.
genebob
Reg. Nov 2007
Posted 2010-07-30 11:02 AM (#123002 - in reply to #122852)

Elite Veteran

If your trailer plug came off your truck, brakes didn't lock with no juice. Is your emergency disconnect brake wore out? Don't expect your truck to recharge youyr trailer battery. You would have to travel a long ways (more than 1 1/2 hour) for that to happen. Don't leave the trailer connected to your truck as that could be draining back to your truck.

Actually, as I reread your post, sounds like you may have wires turned around in your plug. Double check that. Also, Sundowner does have a reset button hidden somewhere, there were earlier posts about that, try doing a search.

I was hoping someone more expierenced with your problem would help before I jumped on.

googx2
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-30 12:10 PM (#123006 - in reply to #122852)

Thanks!  I did go through and check the two 12V resets and fuses.  The original time my brakes got tied up, the dealer asked if my emergency box was in tact.  It is, so it may possibly be worn out.  Will ask RV place to check.

This past week we did put a new plug on, matching the wires with the functions given by the dealer I bought my trailer from; noticed the colors on the trailer were a little different from that on the replacement plug.  Tested and appears that all lights and the breaks control have power.

I spoke to the original owner (not the dealer) about the trailer before purchasing and she informed me she would camp out all weekend on the battery with it hooked to the truck.  Hmmm?

I'm greatful for coming across this site, been reading some of the posts.  A lot of good info - some a little above my head - but good.  This electrical stuff is a little more complicated than I can comprehend without some schooling.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)