'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LQ power questions

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-07-30 10:49 PM
9 replies, 4025 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

SRWilson
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-29 6:29 PM (#122974)
Subject: LQ power questions

Regular

<P>So I am finishing the inside of a '07 Exiss 4'SW and I am stuck on the power piece.  I have read a ton of stuff on 12V and 120V   and the importance of keeping them seperated.  I want to build in a generator into it so when there is not shore power we are still good.  My question is do I need a converter or an inverter?  I am tracking inverter takes DC to AC  so that would be for the batteries to run any AC appliances (probably not my AC but small ones) and a converter to ????</P><P>Can someone shed some light.  I have been watching a lot of threads and know there are some very knowledgible folks out there.  and some that do this semi-professionally.  Any notes??</P><P> </P>
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-07-29 6:56 PM (#122976 - in reply to #122974)
Subject: RE: LQ power questions

Veteran

Hi -

I would go with an inverter charger set up with a couple of good deep cycle batteries, this way you can have quiet plentiful power without having to run the generator all the time.

Converters just let you waste 120V power and down convert it to 12V and maybe charge a battery..

For this I would figure out what items you would like to run without running the generator. Then size accordingly.

We run a full time 120V electric fridge, stereo, DVD / TV, house lights, exterior lights, and make coffee in the AM and we can go two days without charging, we have 2000 watts AC and 450 Amp Hours of 12V AGM battery.

We charge with shore power or our Honda EU2000i it will also stats and power our roof AC.

You could add solar into the mix and go longer with quiet power but that would depend on your tolerance for either more cost or more noise.

For a start google "the 12V side of life" and you may want to look at inverter chargers, we are using a Modified Sine Wave Xantrex, the freedom 458 series are reasonable and nice machines and I really prefer AGM batteries and have been using lifeline mfg'ed by Concorde Battery with great results.

There is a start this could go for days but if I can help more please let me know .

T

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-29 7:44 PM (#122981 - in reply to #122976)

Expert

TrOy

Perhaps you would be willing to apprise the membership, the cost to replicate an electrical system similar to the one you have mentioned. You might also mention the complexity of the installation, and the need for every component to be matched and engineered specifically for each usage.

Most folks don't have unlimited budgets, are DIYers and many have used equippment they are upgrading to make more liveable. Sometimes a more simple system, while not as efficient or self sustaining, is more readily available.

Having a state of the art electrical system certainly would appeal to some owners. We are most fortunate to have someone as well versed as you, to guide the primitive campers to a new level of comfort. It will be interesting to see how much of a residential system, can be adapted to a mobile RV situation, and still be kept within a reasonable budget.

SRWilson
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-30 6:14 AM (#122990 - in reply to #122981)

Regular

Guys thanks for the input,  but my question still remains about the inverter vs converter.  Maybe I wasn't clear. 

For example, if I am using my batteries to power most of the stuff in my LQ and I don't have shore power,  in order to charge my batteries, I need a converter.  but if I am simply running my generator to powere the AC or 120V outlet I will need an inverter.  Am i on the right track?  and so in this scenerio, I will need both?

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-30 7:35 AM (#122993 - in reply to #122990)

Expert

Originally written by SRWilson on 2010-07-30 7:14 AM

Guys thanks for the input,  but my question still remains about the inverter vs converter.  Maybe I wasn't clear. 

For example, if I am using my batteries to power most of the stuff in my LQ and I don't have shore power,  in order to charge my batteries, I need a converter

Most portable generators have a 12v charging circuit. You shouldn't need anything additional to charge your batteries

but if I am simply running my generator to powere the AC or 120V outlet I will need an inverter. 

No. The inverter changes 12V DC to 110 AC. The generator already puts out 110V AC

Am i on the right track?  and so in this scenerio, I will need both?

If you choose a generator with a 12V charging system, you will only need the generator without the need for additional inverters or converters.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-07-30 7:54 AM (#122994 - in reply to #122974)

Expert

Most LQ owners use a RV power center. It is powered from a 110V shore cord. This is a one piece unit that supplies protected 110 V circuits as well as protected 12V DC circuits. In addition, the better ones have battery charging circuits, that also include battery maintenance cycles. If your LQ installation included a power center, you would only have to connect your shore cord to the generator when shore power isn't available.
GRNMCHNEDAZE
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2010-07-30 8:04 AM (#122997 - in reply to #122974)

Extreme Veteran

Here is what I did. All the lights interior, horse area, and exterior, plus the on demand water pump are all 12v only--ran by mostly 1, but sometimes 2 large deep cycle batteries.

I then wired my 110v seperately with a breaker box and 5 outlets. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a battery charger that plugs into the 110v outlet that I wired under the cabinet where the battery is kept, and charges the batteries anytime we're running the generator or hooked to shore power. (It has overcharge protection as well) I have a 2000w automobile inverter that I can plug into a 12v lighter socket I wired to the batteries if I needed to run something electric without the generator.

Simple, cheap, and easy. Two seperate systems and the only way they are connected is via the battery charger. It works very well. It allows us to camp primitively (12v only) for about 4-5 days--endless if we have shore power. Our "cowboy shower" is LP heated and uses the on demand pump.

Edited by GRNMCHNEDAZE 2010-07-30 8:07 AM
SRWilson
Reg. Jul 2010
Posted 2010-07-30 10:19 AM (#123000 - in reply to #122974)

Regular

Green Machine, Gard and Troy,

Thank you all for your imput.  I am sure that I will end up posting more questions on here as I go.  I will be sure to post pictures of the project along the way.  Right now I just have the bare bones DR after I pulled out the saddle stand and hanging bars, and the bench that were in there. 

I am gathering parts now and have a semi complete list but seem to be finding that I miss important components like a water heater. 

Thanks again.

tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-07-30 9:28 PM (#123023 - in reply to #122974)

Veteran

Hi All -

Sorry for the delay in response, I have been asked this quite a bit so I am going to write it up in paper form with a semi how-to and post it here. I have family in town right now so it may take me a day or two to get it posted.

Thanks

Troy
tr0y
Reg. Mar 2009
Posted 2010-07-30 10:49 PM (#123029 - in reply to #122974)

Veteran

Hi All -

Sorry for the delay in response, I have been asked this quite a bit so I am going to write it up in paper form with a semi how-to and post it here. I have family in town right now so it may take me a day or two to get it posted.

Thanks

Troy
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World