'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Hawk Fiberglass Roof

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-09-12 7:29 PM
9 replies, 12621 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

soho
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-09-10 11:17 AM (#124701)
Subject: Hawk Fiberglass Roof

I'm looking for adivce regarding the roof of a Hawk Trailer. I own a '97 Hawk 4 horse head-to-head trailer. I notice for some time thatthe white paint on the roof is somewhat dissolving and runs over the edge of the roof when it rains. This leads to a faded red color rim around theroof. The red color can easily be polished but of course there is constantly running new stuff from the roof top with any rainfall. Any recommendation what can be done? (new painting? type of paint? sealing?)appreciate any thoughts.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2010-09-10 3:30 PM (#124715 - in reply to #124701)
Subject: RE: Hawk Fiberglass Roof

Extreme Veteran

That isn't paint coming off the sides, it's the fiberglass breaking down and the white is the residue.  I had an 84 Trailet and that was happening and I was told I could wax it with fiberglass wax.  But in the meantime, I had the stripes on the trailer painted over to match my truck.. and the roof, too.  I asked them not to paint the white part since that was part of the "coolness" of the roof, so they painted the radius and then clearcoated the whole top.. and that stopped the breakdown of the roof.  I don't know what type clearcoat they used, but it was like a body shop that worked on trailers.

Jbsny

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-10 4:18 PM (#124720 - in reply to #124701)

Expert

As Jbsny stated, the roof coating isn't paint, it's a specialized polyester resin called a gell coat, that protects the fiberglass matrix from weather and UV damage. It is now damaged and this can be confirmed by wetting your finger and rubbing the surface. If there is any white powder transfer, the gell coat needs attention. .

The application of a marine paint is the least expensive, and easiest way to apply a new surface. Spraying a clear coating of polyester paint will temporarly seal the dead resin, but will do little to further protect it from UV damage. A white coloured paint will reflect the most amount of sunlight, and provide the best long term protectionIf it doesn't receive any, the surface will continue to detoriate, and the whole layup will degrade and weaken.

Waxing a damaged gell surface will only make the repair more difficult. The first order of business is to remove all of the "dead" resin. The easiest way is by sanding. When the powder has been removed, test the bare surface with a rag dipped in acetone. If there is any further resin transfer to the cloth, the roof will have to be recoated.

soho
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-09-11 6:45 AM (#124738 - in reply to #124701)

thanks a lot for your advices, guys. Hope I can fix this easily.
brushycreekranch
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-09-11 7:23 AM (#124739 - in reply to #124701)

We had this happen to the roof of a Trailet 2H DR . We just took it to a boat repair place. They cleaned &  resealed the roof for under $200. That was back in 96.
flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-09-11 10:34 PM (#124769 - in reply to #124739)

Veteran

Are any RV roofs made of fiberglass? I'm wondering if the local RV place would have the know how to fix this problem.

How quickly does the roof weaken when the gel coat starts to come off?

Thanks.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-12 9:12 AM (#124774 - in reply to #124769)

Expert

Originally written by flatlandfilly on 2010-09-11 11:34 PM

. How quickly does the roof weaken when the gel coat starts to come off? Thanks.

It depends on several factors. The thickness of the gel coating and the layup will depend on the manufacturer's construction techniques. The quality of the gel and laminate will depend on the materials he used.

The thicker and better the quality of the gel coating, the longer it will last. We used to coat with a 30 mm layer of Iso resins and had little UV problems. Once the gel is effectively degraded, has oxidized and washed off, the laminate is vulnerable to the same UV damage. This can be observed when the surface coating is no longer smooth, and a layer of fiberglass mat or cloth is exposed and visable.

Unfortunately, laminating resin has little resistance to UV damage, and in weight saving measures and strength considerations, just enough is used to support the glass fiber matrix. It will be quickly damaged, and in doing so, will offer less and less support to the fibers. This results in an overall weakening of the glass panel, with a noticeable increase in flexation and possible cracking. Once this happens, the only recourse is to replace the panel, or over coat it with more glass and resin.

Your answer about time can't be easily given. It depends on where you live and how much exposure the trailer has to the sun. Is it stored under cover? Is it subject to freezing and thawing? Again, construction considerations vary. It may last only a few years with no damage or a decade or so with little problems.

It's easy to tell if there is any damage. Wet your finger and rub it on the fiberglass surface. If there is a powder transfer to your finger, it has suffered some UV damage. The amount that is removed and how much resin remains, is what will determine the roof's longevity.

Painting is the easiest and most effective way to stop any further damage if the structure is still strong. This is a common practise in the marine industry. The other restoration recourse is to apply more resin and possibly some laminate, sand the lot smooth and polish. This is expensive and labour intensive.

flatlandfilly
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2010-09-12 12:45 PM (#124781 - in reply to #124774)

Veteran

Thanks so much for the info, Gard. I wish you lived next door!

There are white streaks bleeding from the roof onto the dark blue trim around the top of my 2000 Hawk trailer. It's spent five years in Nebraska mostly outside. Nebraska is prone to weather extremes and mostly sunny days so it would be surprising if the gel coat didn't have some damage.

Would you recommend a boat place rather than RV?

Thanks again for your help and wise advice.

Flatlandfilly
soho
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2010-09-12 4:40 PM (#124788 - in reply to #124701)

Gard, thanks for your input. What type/brand of paint would you recommend? Marine paint seems to be quite a wide field.thanks again,soho
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2010-09-12 7:29 PM (#124794 - in reply to #124701)

Expert

If you have a modicum of DIY abilities, painting your own trailer roof falls with that category. The only power tool you need is an electric sander. If I were farming the job out, I would choose the technician with the most experience.

Yes there are a multitude of marine products. I've tried several and found this paint to be the best all around for my needs:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=65&familyName=Interlux+-+Toplac

There are less expensive products that also work well. These are my favourites:

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=64&familyName=Interlux+-+Brightside+Polyurethane

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=1329&familyName=Pettit+EasyPoxy+Topside+Paint

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)