'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Thanksgiving in Southern IN

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2010-11-10 5:36 PM
6 replies, 4234 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2010-10-30 12:02 AM (#126447)
Subject: Thanksgiving in Southern IN

Extreme Veteran

We are looking to ride and camp in Southern Indiana over Thanksgiving. 

Any ideas?  I noticed some of the riding is closed during this time for hunting seasons. 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
TheOtherHorse
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-10-30 7:00 AM (#126449 - in reply to #126447)
Subject: RE: Thanksgiving in Southern IN

Regular

I love O'Bannon Woods/Harrison Crawford State Forest. There was a lot of info in a recent thread here about the camping facilities/trails:
http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/forum/thread-view.asp?threadid=14496&posts=20

I've also heard that Deam Lake/Clark State Forest has done a ton of work and improvements recently- I am riding the northern side trails there tomorrow, so will post an update after that.

I have no idea about which areas may be closed for hunting-- you could always call the park office to find out.

Edited by TheOtherHorse 2010-10-30 7:03 AM

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-10-31 12:02 PM (#126478 - in reply to #126449)

Veteran

Clark Forest/Deams Lake is open during hunting season-- opening weekend is the weekend of Nov 13th

Clark is primitive- open year round in the campground.  Deams Lake will close after Thanksgiving I think - you need to call for reservations.   They have water every so many sites and a bath house.

Clarks campground has a little water - and pit toilets

TheOtherHorse
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-10-31 8:55 PM (#126492 - in reply to #126447)

Regular

I rode at Clark SF for the first time today, and really liked it. We parked at the primitive camp at the north end of the forest, and rode the Horse Camp Loop (blue) and the Shaw Lake Loop (green). The trails were beautiful, especially the Shaw Loop. The trails were well maintained (but look like they probably get really muddy in some areas in the spring), and for the most part they were pretty well marked. The Clark camp was primitive, but nice. Lots of trees, hitching rails on each site, a few places to get water. I'll definitely be back! I haven't been on the Deam Lake side yet, I hear that the campground there is very nice.
ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-11-01 3:02 PM (#126520 - in reply to #126492)

Veteran

The Other horse-- the Clark Forest campground is 3 miles from our house-- glad you liked it-- they do get VERY muddy when it is raining.   The Shaw Loop is pretty steep in spots isn't it?

The Deams Lake campground IS very nice - but they will be closing for the season soon-- they have the most awesome stalls of just about any place we have ever been--

TheOtherHorse
Reg. Mar 2008
Posted 2010-11-01 6:49 PM (#126531 - in reply to #126520)

Regular

Originally written by ClaudiaIN on 2010-11-01 3:02 PM

The Other horse-- the Clark Forest campground is 3 miles from our house-- glad you liked it-- they do get VERY muddy when it is raining.   The Shaw Loop is pretty steep in spots isn't it?

The Deams Lake campground IS very nice - but they will be closing for the season soon-- they have the most awesome stalls of just about any place we have ever been--

Yeah, I guess the Shaw Loop did have a couple pretty steep spots, but I kind of like challenging terrain, and my horse thinks she's part mountain goat, so we rather enjoyed it. :)
Do you have any recommendations for which trails to try next time we go? I like pretty scenery, and challenging terrain is fun as long as it is isn't muddy... Is the Dry Fork Loop by Deam Camp really as rugged as the map describes it to be?

ClaudiaIN
Reg. Feb 2009
Posted 2010-11-10 5:36 PM (#126922 - in reply to #126531)

Veteran

I'm Sorry "The Other Horse" for not answering sooner-

Dry Fork Loop is a fun trail-- they just opened it back up - some parts had been closed off for quite a while.   It's about as rugged as Shaw Loop-- and it's not 12 miles like it says on the map.

One hill is pretty steep-- we always rather come up that hill than go down it-- if you are coming up from Deams Lake and get to the orange trail at the top-- turn right and then go to the next left - orange trail and go that way.

If you like Shaw-- you'll like Dry Fork Loop also.          My most favorite trail on that side of the park is  Mountain Grove Loop.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)